No wonder we are energy dependant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No wonder we are energy dependant

I drove to my son to school and due to being bored and locked in traffic, I became amazed at how few cars there really were. I was driving my Fiero, and believe me it stuck out. Everything was either a truck, SUV, minivan or some other lumbering beast. The average was 11:1 That's eleven truck/suv/minivans to one car. This was based on a 125 vehicle count at one intersection.

I cannot imagine how bad these folks must be feeling the pinch at the gas pumps. We are swamped with Excursions, Expeditions, Buburbans, Tahoes, Pickups, etc..... and a bunch of them are hot footing it around town, blasting away from stoplights, it really makes me laugh..... and shudder at the same time. Their mileage must be draining their pocketbooks big time!

Cool thing is that the 94 Camaro has been getting me 25 average/combined.

Didn't you post something similar to this a while back? Something about a truck almost hitting you trying to get out?

Here it is http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19649
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

yep. It's getting worse broh. I'm getting to the point that I am wanting to get out of this place. Even the average soccer mom is getting caught up into the 24" rims on a Tahoe and driving aggressive.

Comment

Amen to that. I can understand driving a truck if you live in the Yukon. But I live in Florida and it's the same here, it's just crazy. I can promise that 1 out 100 of the SUV's that I see at my daughter's school have been used for any kind of "sport" except maybe tailgating at a Bucs game.
        Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

I think it is that way at all the schools. I don't think you can get away from it. I know what you mean by wanting to get away from it though. That is why we go to the mountains. So we can have some time away from the hustle and bustle of city life. I am so ready to move to the mountains where life is a little slower.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
            Didn't you post something similar to this a while back? Something about a truck almost hitting you trying to get out?

Here it is http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19649

Hahaha...yeah, that's what I was thinking...has to take a double look at the post date.

When I was working at Chevy...we sold 8 full size for every 2 or so car. 8:2 is well pretty amazing.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

That's why I went back to a car. I missed driving a car everyday. Trucks are useful in their own right, but they just don't drive like a car. Not even close. Even though I live in New England, I get by just fine with my car.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Unless you go off-roading on the weekends, have to pull a 10000 pound horse trailer regularly, or work in construction... I just dont see a need for them. And SUV's, I dont see a need for at all. Thats all I will say. I have made my opinion very clear on this subject before.
                No F-Body right now

Comment

I feel guilty driving my F-150 4WD Crew-Cab.... but that's what they give me for work, complete with flashing amber overhead lights, strobe lights on all 4 corners, 2-way radio and a digital distance/speed unit for measuring roads. I never have anyone in the back seat for work, and hardly ever put anything in the bed. It gets 14-16MPG..... ughhhhh. I could accomplish most of the work I do with a small econo-box.

The thing I've noticed is that at least 90% of the fools driving their own cars, and buying their own gas (I have a fleet card) are full throttle away from every traffic light. Doesn't matter whether they are driving a clapped out Hyundai, a fart-can Honda, a mini-van, Jap luxury car, SUV or any other vehicle.... they put the pedal to the floor off every light. They seem to live in fear of ever letting anyone get ahead of them. It's sort of fun to play with them, because they don't expect a pickup truck to want to play. But mostly I just watch them race away, and shake my head.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                    The thing I've noticed is that at least 90% of the fools driving their own cars, and buying their own gas (I have a fleet card) are full throttle away from every traffic light. Doesn't matter whether they are driving a clapped out Hyundai, a fart-can Honda, a mini-van, Jap luxury car, SUV or any other vehicle.... they put the pedal to the floor off every light. They seem to live in fear of ever letting anyone get ahead of them. It's sort of fun to play with them, because they don't expect a pickup truck to want to play. But mostly I just watch them race away, and shake my head.
                    I see this every day and just shake my head. These people MUST be suffering at the gas pumps.

Comment

There is a legitimate reaseon for SUV's..

Apparently us americans are getting so fat that we're exceeding the maximum weight that cars can carry. The SUV's that you see Joe, are the only things that can carry those land whales This could aso explain the Ford Exploder's tire fiasco!

Are Americans too big for their cars?

Published: 14, 2007 at 12:18 PM
                      Print story
                      Email to a friend
                      Font size:
                      WASHINGTON, 14 (UPI) -- Americans may be getting too fat for their cars, new maximum weight warning labels mandated by the U.S. government indicated.

Required for all vehicles beginning in model year 2006, the labels reflect an average passenger weight of 150 pounds, USA Today reported Friday.

That figure may be too low since the Centers for Disease Control pegged average American weights at 190 pounds for men and 163 pounds for women three years ago.

The maximum weight formula was established for tire safety following the 2000 Firestone recall in which overloading was considered a factor that could cause tires to fail.

David Champion, the head of auto testing for Consumer Reports, told USA Today that automakers aren't building cars that can stand up to loads of bigger passengers.
                      Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                      Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                      pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                        I see this every day and just shake my head. These people MUST be suffering at the gas pumps.
                        2x^

The ratio around DC is close to 70:30 trucks.
                        Careful, we have folks dying over in Iraq so that we are free to SUV...
                        Mike, So. MD, USA
                        1998 Camaro 3800 5m, Borla, Whisperlid/K&N, ProForm shortshift, 17" chrome SS wheels, poly bushings

Comment

The SUV's that you see Joe, are the only things that can carry those land whales
                          LMAO!! So true, so true, and why wal-mart has to provide motorized carts to carry their fat a$$es around. Maybe if they walked their a$$es wouldn't be so fat.
                          Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

One day I went out the back door of my shop and stood outside just to get some air. Afer a couple of minutes, I saw what looked like a 400 lb woman exit a store. Immediatly following her was another woman almost as heavy. immediatly to follow was another just a little smaller. One by one, boys and girls in decending weight and size came out and made their way out into the parking lot. They were all single file, looking like a family herd of Elephants heading off in the sunset. One by one, they piled into this poor minivan. It would rock and then settle as each one entered. When all 7 were in, I couldn't see how the thing was going to move, it looked like the suspension was bottomed. They slowly drove off in their now lowrider minivan, I thought to myself......

"must be headed to a the local all you can eat buffet"

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                              LMAO!! So true, so true, and why wal-mart has to provide motorized carts to carry their fat a$$es around. Maybe if they walked their a$$es wouldn't be so fat.
                              What's worse is the people that don't need them yet insist on having one. The lady in front of me last night clearly didn't need one, and she nearly ran over me cause she didn't know how to use the damn thing!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X