good deal on a handgun?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good deal on a handgun?

A coworker is selling a Taurus PT140 .40 S&W. He says he's got a holster for it he'll throw in too. I'm not sure how old it is, but he says it's only got about 150 rounds through it. What do you guys know about this weapon, and is $350 a good deal for the weapon/magazines/holster?

Taurus' website lists $422 as the price for a new one. Any opisnions on thsi weapon.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...ategory=Pistol

Again, I don't know if his has all the features listed for a new one because I don't know how old it is, but I can find out. He says he can bring it out to the range next time we're out, so I can get the chance to try it out.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

One of my coworkers has a PT145 and a PT140. The PT145 he bought brand new with an additional clip for less than 350, and the PT140 he picked up at a gun show we went to about a month ago for 310 out the door. I'd find a gun show nearby or shop around at the gun stores, because suggested retail is usually nowhere near reality prices.

150 rounds is a drop in the bucket, as I shoot that many in one day at the range. I've probably got 5,000 rounds through my Beretta, it'll put 10 bullets into a spread less than the size of a golf ball, and it has very little visual wear.

The most important thing is that you go shoot a gun before you buy it. A lot of gun ranges will let you try out the weapons they have for sale, or if you already know what you want, go rent that gun before you buy it. You've got to ensure that it feels comfortable in your hand and shoots in a predictable manner so that you can easily control it. I would like a PT140, but it does not fit my hand well, and the PT145 has too much kick for it's size in my opinion, although it fits my hand.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

A search on gunbroker.com shows a few mostly under $350 new...Problem there is you will have shipping + transfer fees. As far as the pistol itself, I am not sure. Taurus seems to have a good reputation on the forums I frequent.
      Greg W. in West Michigan
      1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
      1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
      1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
      1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
      1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
      <Motor out

Comment

If he has the double action only version you will definitely want to shoot it before you buy. I have fired many different had guns and have never shot a double action only gun that had a good feeling trigger. To me DA only guns have triggers that are a mile long and heavy as a brick.
        1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
        1995 Silverado-beater truck
        2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

Comment

I am not familiar with that handgun in particular, though I have owned two Taurus guns in the past. I was very happy with both... I even still wish I hadn't sold the 9mm. They make a nice handgun for the price.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

new one from a gun show. you can do better.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

In my area I could get one new through Gallery of Guns for $335 (with shipping and Taxes included). If it's a quality holster, instead of an Uncle Mike's $10 job, you might save a little money. How many Mags does he have? Comes with 2 from Taurus, if he has a third that's another $35.

You certainly want to shoot it before you decide. The trigger feels more like a revolver, long pull and heavy.

I've been happy with my PT745, which is basically the same gun just in .45 ACP.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
              '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
              Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Working...
              X