New idea/Project, Opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New idea/Project, Opinions

Well Im getting older, And im starting to realize it. Just recently I went through a break-up with a girl that I thought was the one (spoke to soon).
    So From that point on I decided to kick back on relationships and all that BS and focus on myself a little. Be a little Selfish. I recently got a Promotion at my work. With this new position the possibilites to grow are at the limites of how much I want to learn. So Im taking the bull by its horns and going for it. Im going to start working Nights 10-12 hour days as a supervisor. The guy that Im taking his position has been there 6 years. (Me only 2) So With this new doubled Income I want to do something that Makes me happy. And nothing makes me happier than cars and working on them. I love drag racing and all that but I want something that I can start doing on a normal bases. So This is the game plan. Influenced by last months Issue of GM HIgh Tech Performance led me to want to build up a track car.
    The Plot:
    Get a used 94-97 Camaro V6 5 speed
    Do a Complete Strip of interior
    (And Im talking about EVERYTHING)
    Carpet, Panels, Removal of all Brackets and everything smoothed out
    8 point roll cage
    2 Bucket seats (no rear seats)
    New upper and lower front a arms.
    Strano Set of Swaybars 35mm front 22mm rears
    Strano Springs and Koni Shocks
    All new rear Suspenion components UMI of course
    Double Diamond Weld in subframe connectors.
    Removal of windows, motors and hardware
    Remove A/C System
    LS1 Brake swap
    New set of ultra light weight wheels with R-compound tires on all 4 corners
    Battery Relocation kit

This is what I got so far. Keep in mind this is not going to be a daily driver, just as long as its street legal. Why a V6? Weight. My goal for this is under 2400lbs. The engine is going to be kept pretty much stock just your usual Bolt ons:
    Headers
    intake
    high flow cats

My goal with this car is to join a Auto-X group ike NASA or something similar. The Budget is about $5k Including car.
    All the work is going to be done by me of course. What do you guys think? I have been into cars, and thats my passion, this is way I want to do this for myself, not for anyone else. Set the bar high or go home I always say. Time wise I say around 8-10 months total build time. Going to pay off all debt that I have then start on the project.

Opinions Good or bad are welcome.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

I personally think that you'd be better off with a third generation Camaro.

Weight Data on 1992 Camaros

Model Shipping Weight Curb Weight
    Camaro Coupe 3,025 3,105
    Convertible 3,142 3,220
    Z28 Coupe 3,194 3,273
    Convertible 3,298 3,377

Weight Data on 1995 Camaros

Model Curb Weight Shipping Weight
    Camaro coupe 3251 3171
    Camaro convertible 3342 3262
    Z/28 coupe 3390 3310
    Z/28 convertible 3480 3400

Sorry if that came out hard to read. It's really clear the way I'm typing it, but the post preview shows it being kinda scrambled. Anyways, you can get a third gen with a V8 for cheap, plus they only weigh about 26lbs more than a V6 4th gen. I'd imagine the low end grunt that a 305 TPI motor puts out would be better for autocross where you can't be on the pedal for too long. Not to mention, no tears shed over a stripped third gen. They're a dime a dozen. You could probably find an l98 (the 5.7) that's been swapped to a T-5 tranny. That should drop the weight a bit if you wanted to go with a 350. I'm not sure on this, but i think the l98 came with cast iron heads too. That's 40lbs right there. The Iroc 350 was only about 90lbs heavier than a V6 4th gen.

Third gens are great cars to abuse. They're cheap to replace and people are always selling cheap aftermarket parts for them. I don't think they're as cheap as fox bodies, but used parts are all over thirdgen.org. I think Spohn has a kit to upgrade 3rd gens' front suspension to a 4th gen type set up for around $600. Honestly though, my 89 Formula (which was apparently a WS6) felt like it handled better than my 95 does and that thing was beat to hell and had crappy worn tires on it. In it's prime, I'd bet it would give my car a really good run.

Good luck man
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

+1
      My 92 WS6( I believe all 91-92 Formulas were WS6) handles very well and I got it on the cheap! It would be better with a 5 spd though. All and all I would say that your plan is a good one. If you did get a 3rd gen Firebird, you could always get one of each gen and have a collection...
      Greg W. in West Michigan
      1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
      1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
      1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
      1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
      1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
      <Motor out

Comment

I thought about that. I know a couple people that fixed up 3rd gens for auto-x and man where they monsters. Personally I want a early 4th gen Camaro. Personal preference. I love the look of the pointy nose and all that. Dont get me wrong, I like the 3rd gen but I think with a mild modded V6 it should be pushing just as much HP as a 5.0, just maybe not as much tq.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

the voice of dissenting opinion.................

Weight is not the sole issue, where the weight is located makes a huge impact. V8s are nose heavy.

I personally think the idea is great. My 94 has KYB shocks, 1LE front and rear swaybars, 3.42 limited slip rear, 4 wheel discs, 1LE driveshaft, 17x9 and 17x11 ZR-1s, soon to have a bunch of other suspension goodies transferred over from the WS6. Even as it sits, the handling is way better than any WS6 or Z28 I ever drove. The weight distribution by having a 3.4 is much closer to 50/50

It's a very balanced and light car that would be a monster in autocross. The chassis seems to be much tighter than the 3rd gens. That has to be worth something.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            Weight is not the sole issue, where the weight is located makes a huge impact. V8s are nose heavy.
            Took the words right from my fingers. Thats one of the main reasons Im looking for a V6. And with a 5 speed, It should make it pretty much. Im not looking for any comfort whats so ever simply a monster at the track. Its not going to have any carpet ot padding or anything so its going to be very loud inside. The Road noise is going to be horrible but like I said, Its going to be a Street legal Track car. I was thinking of doing straight exhauast and make it None street legal but I want to be able to go to gatherings and be able to drive it to work once in a while. The Balance of weight is why im going to Relocate the battery. I was thinking of doing a 10 gallon Fuel cell in the rear inside the car Instead of it being under the car. I think that would move some weight further back on the tail.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Could always pick up a Miata, but if you don't like 3rd gens, I'm guessing you really don't like Miata's
              Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
              SOLD- Kinda miss it
              SOLD- Good riddance!
              2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

get a conquest dude. you'll love it.
                97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                  get a conquest dude. you'll love it.
                  And then the headgasket blows, the head cracks and the rebuild follows.

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                    Took the words right from my fingers. Thats one of the main reasons Im looking for a V6. And with a 5 speed, It should make it pretty much. Im not looking for any comfort whats so ever simply a monster at the track. Its not going to have any carpet ot padding or anything so its going to be very loud inside. The Road noise is going to be horrible but like I said, Its going to be a Street legal Track car. I was thinking of doing straight exhauast and make it None street legal but I want to be able to go to gatherings and be able to drive it to work once in a while. The Balance of weight is why im going to Relocate the battery. I was thinking of doing a 10 gallon Fuel cell in the rear inside the car Instead of it being under the car. I think that would move some weight further back on the tail.
                    Ditch the factory seats too, the fronts weigh a ton compared to a fiberglass bucket. You might want to keep the exhaust a little quieter. You won't notice any loss and you can hear the tires better.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                      And then the headgasket blows, the head cracks and the rebuild follows.
                      I've owned three. Head gasket/head isn't as common as people think, I never had one of those go on me.

It's the rod bearings that go.

I had one up to 155k, one up to 144k, and the one that spun the bearing spun it at 110k.
                      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Yeah Im going to ditch the Stock seats. Im going Full Bucket. Aluminum more than likely. Just the front 2. Im going to partout eveyrthing. I want this thing to be loud and Noisy. Very Annoying. Like I said as long as its street legal.

I actaully love the conquest. The people next door had one when i was little. It was turbo. I feel in love but I want something that is not going to take to much work. Something that im familiar with like a 4th gen. F-Body.
                        Eddie
                        2000 M6 Trans Am
                        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I don't know if you'll touch 2400lbs. There's a member on LS1tech.com named Taubr Unit who gutted his car, then built up the suspension. It still weighs 2900lbs. It's an LT1, but still, I dont know if you can come near 2,400lbs. I'd guess other people would know much better than I would, but you're talking about an 850lb decrease in weight and only spending $5K including the car, plus keeping it street legal. It's gonna be tough amigo.
                          SOLD- Kinda miss it
                          SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

U should just get a 5.0 foxbody LX
                            2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                              I don't know if you'll touch 2400lbs. There's a member on LS1tech.com named Taubr Unit who gutted his car, then built up the suspension. It still weighs 2900lbs. It's an LT1, but still, I dont know if you can come near 2,400lbs. I'd guess other people would know much better than I would, but you're talking about an 850lb decrease in weight and only spending $5K including the car, plus keeping it street legal. It's gonna be tough amigo.
                              There was the guy who inspired me. He had a 93 Z28. Gutteted to the bone. Had a pretty Intergrate 10 point mild steel roll cage. He kept some thing do to Cosmetics and was able to get it down to 2850. Even if I get it down to 2500lbs. Im going to go With Carbon Fiber hood as well. Remove the power steering and go manual. I was thinking about this for weight but I dont know. Im going extreme on the weight reduction. Its not going to be easy but Im going to try my best.

I dont think you understand, that if its not a challenge, Its not worth doing. There is no fun in something easy.

P.S. Holmes? Take that attitude else where. lol
                              A Rustang is the last thing I want!!
                              Eddie
                              2000 M6 Trans Am
                              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                              X