Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC Airplane crash

I crashed. The story follows....

I've been flying a HobbyZone AeroBird 3 RTF this summer, as a trainer. It has a V tail with elevons that behave very similar to ailerons. Before that I flew an Air Hogs Aero Ace. I've been getting better with the Aerobird and figured I'd ask my brother if he could dust off his 4 channel gas trainer for me. He did, and met me out at the model airfield. We got the engine started and he took off to trim it out so I could fly it easily. I took the radio and flew a pattern over the field for a while, and did a loop. I was starting to feel pretty good about it. I decided I wanted to land it. I made a slow and low pass over the field and brought it around on final approach. Things were looking great, but somehow I forgot about a berm off the left side of the field. I was just a hair too low for the berm and it clipped the nose gear bending it back against the fuselage, killing the engine and bouncing the plane up a couple feet. I was still able to land it on the main gear after the bounce without any additional damage.

My brother wasn't too upset, the damage was minimal and has already been repaired. I'll do better next time, I just wanted to share my experience.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Originally posted by TraceZ
    I crashed.
    Crash? That ain't no crash son, that was a rough landing.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      Crash? That ain't no crash son, that was a rough landing.
      hah, TROOF!

You got off lucky. Always get video too when having a maiden, or trying new things. It's great entertainment for everyone!

That being said, my contribution. If you're at work turn the volume down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Y9a25SuqI

99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
        hah, TROOF!

You got off lucky. Always get video too when having a maiden, or trying new things. It's great entertainment for everyone!

That being said, my contribution. If you're at work turn the volume down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Y9a25SuqI

Ouch, yeah that looks expensive to fix. Fixing my boo boo only required a little JB weld and some monocoat.

I'm starting to feel better.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

The video was an ouch.

Comment

Working...
          X