Labor Laws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor Laws

What is the Most amount of hours a person can work in a single shift?

Or does that variey on the limit one does in a pay period?
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Varies from state to state and federally. In FL I thought it was 6 hours and it is a mandatory lunch/break. Federally I think your allowed a 15 miin break every 4 hours, except when it's lunch, but that is not the maximum federally.

I've personally worked 23.5 hours straight for the fed gvt as it was the only window a boat was in port... but that is an exception to the rule as the gvt needed this work done no matter what.
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

Comment

As long as you are an adult, I think there is no legal limit as long as your fatigue does not endanger you or anyone else. It varies from state to state.
      Why do you ask?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

OSHA has some very specific limits etc. depending on what you are doing.
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Originally posted by '94 White Devil
          As long as you are an adult, I think there is no legal limit as long as your fatigue does not endanger you or anyone else. It varies from state to state.
          Why do you ask?
          you may be willing to work but the employer can be fined if they look the other way. Wal-mart and big box stores I think FORCE all employees after 6 hours to take a break.... used to work as a courtesy clerk at albertsons while in college for a stint. You can confirm this by calling any major big box store or talk to the cashier next time you do the grocery shopping , as they will know
          Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
          Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
          pics and info

Comment

In California they must give you 1 day off if you work 6 days. Breaks and meals periods are addressed, as well as compensation rates. I think it's different for part time workers also. (been a long time since I worked in CA)

California Labor Code Part2 - chapter 1

found this also:
            Depending on your line of work, you may have the right to refuse to work more than 72 hours in a week.

Professionals, Clerical (administrative assistants), Technical, and Mechanical Employees can not be terminated for refusing to work more than 72 hours in a workweek.

If you prepare agricultural products for market you can work over 72 hours a week, if you want to, but you cannot be required to. If you harvest products you must get a period of 24 hours off after working up to 72 hours in a seven-day period. There are exceptions to the 24 hours break period for certain harvesting employees, like those involved in harvesting grapes, tree fruits and cotton.

If you work in the canning, freezing, and preserving industries you must get a period of 24 hours off after working up to 72 hours in a seven-day period.
            What is the situation???

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
            '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
            Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

I believe its 16 hrs. atleast in DE i think

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
              2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

THanks guys I was just curious b/c I worked a 22 hour day 2 nights ago and i was curious if that was bad.
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

If you drive for a living it's a whole different set of rules set down by the DOT too.
                  Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                    i was curious if that was bad.
                    Depends on your point of view I guess. I wouldn't do it anymore, although I have worked some long hours like that in the past. Most especially when I got sent out of State to work (getting the most work they can for the travel expenses).

My current employer won't let us work more than 12 hours a day, just because of the safety aspects of the job.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
                    '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
                    Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

I can't imagine working that many hours. My friend is an exterminator and sometimes works double shifts, in which he's awake for 30 hours or more. He generally works in excess of 70 hours per week. That's what happens when you have 2 kids when you're 21 and your spouse doesn't work
                      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                      SOLD- Kinda miss it
                      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                      SOLD- Good riddance!
                      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Working...
                      X