Closed course. Professional driver. Do not attempt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed course. Professional driver. Do not attempt

I'm talking about those pickup truck commercials, especially the one where it shows a 30,000 ton frieght train trying to bend the frame while it's pulling on a chain. Or even better, the one showing stopping a C-130. C'mon... Are you kidding me?!

Do you guys ever bother reading the fine print on these things? They're usually located on the bottom of the screen in very faint small letters just enough to cover their butt.

'Closed course. Professional driver. Do not attempt.' In other words, "Our cars can't really do this so don't try. But if you do, you can't sue us because we warned you not to. And if you do fail, well that's because you're not a professional driver." Gotta love corporate America.

Now, I'm not bashing on trucks, it's the commericals.
    Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Corvette did the same thing with the dream sequence commercial that had a kid drive a vette and it started to fly. They used those words or something close and it wasn't still enough to stop the tirade of soccer moms with an IQ of 12 saying their kid will surely do that (have the car fly and want to drive it ) and the emotional trauma that will ensue or already has because their precious, precious kid is now brainwashed by the commercial (they pulled the commercial )

sometime that wording isn't enough for the stupids to take heed... just my perspective, that with all the sue happy people like in above, they can't be too careful - that's they type of people this wording is focusing on. I agree the wording is stupid.. but then ya gotta think about those stupid enough to mimic it. To be honest I think those are attempts to bring fun to a commercial and set it apart from the 1000+ ads you see every day so you remember it. Yes those commcercials try patience in believability , but they do get the job done... you remembered enough to remember them, the brand and the product = mission accomplished
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

Comment

The C130 commercial is not as bad as the commercial where they push the semi size container unit off the cliff and the pickup pulls it back up. That's a come on folks. The cable to that goes from the truck upward to the trestle back down to the container. That cable would lift the back of that truck up so that it wouldn't get any traction for the brakes to hold or the power to be transferred to.

Or how about the one where the truck accelerates and drives through the doors before they close only to hit the brakes before it goes off the cliff. Then they pan back and the truck is sitting on a road that is hanging out of the cliff with NO SUPPORT!. Just the pavement is holding up the truck.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
        The C130 commercial is not as bad as the commercial where they push the semi size container unit off the cliff and the pickup pulls it back up. That's a come on folks. The cable to that goes from the truck upward to the trestle back down to the container. That cable would lift the back of that truck up so that it wouldn't get any traction for the brakes to hold or the power to be transferred to.

Or how about the one where the truck accelerates and drives through the doors before they close only to hit the brakes before it goes off the cliff. Then they pan back and the truck is sitting on a road that is hanging out of the cliff with NO SUPPORT!. Just the pavement is holding up the truck.
        Yeah those are classic, too. They just keep on getting better..
        Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

If my memory serves, I think it was GM that had a super bowl commercial showing their vehicles driving up the sides of buildings etc. and they still noted on the bottom of the screen that their vehicles were not actually capable of doing what they showed.

You know some lawyer somewhere INSISTED they add that disclaimer...
          My DD
          2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

One of these days, were going to see a disclaimer that says:

Vehicle shown is not actual size and does not depict an actual vehicle. Any similarity is between this and actual vehicles is purely coincidental and unintentional.

Comment

Hey they have to put a warning on blow dryers not to use them in the shower so some idiot had to have tried it. Some morons are capable of just about anything.
              Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28

gotta love ford and toyota. that plane one, what if it was on a runway moving the oppisite way .

the toyota ones are way beyond real. i mean hell that container would pull that truck over or the cable would break if its a real container. then the ford ones with the frame against a pole, that fright train would rip the pole and frame in half, then when they have ford in the air by a crane to show how the bed has 6 grade 8 bolts holding it on, hmm my dodge had 8 grand 8 bolts and it was a 01?
                2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Don't mind those commercials, as I'm smart enough to know that it isn't real.

What gets me going is in real life on the streets. I see these commercials where they run the trucks tru mud and across stones at fairly good speeds.

Then you drive behind a truck on the street coming towards a railroad crossing and they slow down to a snails pace to drive across it.

What's up with that?
                  97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

While that Ad is pretty retarded, a C-130 can land and stop within I believe 500 yards (empty and full reverse thrust). So it's kinda misleading on top of the fact it's dumb.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Working...
                    X