advice (help)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice (help)

1997 rangerover SE 4.0,good suv,I need advice,My girlfreind loves the suv and wants me to get it ,it has 157k,and has not moved for a year,I got it started and drove it on sunday,its clean,has a bangin system,20''rims and airbags,Has anyone owned this suv thanks,I probaly get it for around 2grand
    2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

If it were me, I wouldn't do it.

$2,000 is a lot for a 10 year old, 157K mile vehicle.

The stereo and rims are just extra. Take them out of the equation and make your decision based on the vehicle you're getting for the money. Don't let the extras cloud your judgement. I've never owned a Range Rover, but I understand parts can be expensive and sometimes hard to come by. With 157K on the clock and the fact that it sat for a year (seals and gaskets are probably cracked or dry-rotted), you'll need to consider that end of it as well.

Look around and see what $2,000 can buy you. I bet you'll find cars and trucks with far less mileage. Granted, a nice stereo system and rims can be great to have, but it doesn't matter much if they are equipped on a vehicle that's unreliable and/or expensive to maintain.

Just my .02
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Dude, personally check your priorities. In your other thread you are complaining that you don't have any money and need a new job. Why are you buying a car when you already have one? If it's for your girlfriend, why can't she just buy it herself?

The overwhelming opinion on this one is going to be no. It has sat for a year without moving, the mileage is insanely high and you'll be paying out the ass fixing it.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by '94 White Devil
        Dude, personally check your priorities. In your other thread you are complaining that you don't have any money and need a new job. Why are you buying a car when you already have one? If it's for your girlfriend, why can't she just buy it herself?

The overwhelming opinion on this one is going to be no. It has sat for a year without moving, the mileage is insanely high and you'll be paying out the ass fixing it.
        My GF said she will pay half,she keeps buging me about it,over and over,she loves rangrovers,And I think she likes it cause it looks like a rapper car(my gf's black lol )the kbb is 6,175 in fair condition,exellent is 8,000
        2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

Comment

My .02 cents...don't make any big financial jumps unless you are married.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. It's British made and just go to any site and look at the reliability of these cars and you'll find them at the bottom of the list.

Rich people drive them because of prestige and they can afford the repairs and parts. Can you?
            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Dude, women are blood suckers. Do not make any major financial commitments (like said above) until you are married. Think of yourself while you can.

Why the hell should you buy it?
              It's her ass it will be carting around, not yours.

I aint sayin she a gold digger.........

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

too expensive to fix. could turn into a "money pit" if it breaks down. I say stick with something newer.....
                Darrin C
                '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

$2000 is not a lot. Give me a break. The guy lives with the girl. Its pretty serious. Im looking at a honda that cost more than This rover. So as for financial "Jump" its not. If she pays half, Then He is only paying $1000. Thats nothing major. Plus If you really think about it, You can get it, tune it up, Sell the rims and system for about 2k and then sell the car for $4000. I dont understand why you guys are giving the guy such a hard time. MY $.02

As for the Car, The mileage is rather high. If it runs smooth, It might be worth it.
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Yep it seems like you guys are more concentrating on his GF rather than the car.

Some info here http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...ge-rover-2.htm
                    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

He asked for advice. We gave it.

I don't understand why our opinions are being trashed.

My advice is leave it alone. It doesn't matter what it is... It's a vehicle with 157,000 miles on it. Range Rover parts are expensive. A vehicle with 157K is going to need parts at some point.

Suddenly, it's no longer a $2,000 SUV.
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

Comment

Just some parts prices for you from Auto Parts Warehouse (They run fairly cheap in comparison to most discount sites)...

Alternator - REMANUFACTURED - $237 - $223 for a Bosch... New? $380

Catalytic Converter - $621 - $485

Radiator - $430

Window Motor - $248 - $212

These are all parts that are pretty common replacements for a vehicle of that mileage. You might be able to find the parts a little cheaper somewhere else, but it's not like you can go to your local auto parts store and pick up these parts. You'll have to dig for prices.

My uncle just bought a '98 Jimmy for a winter truck. It's fully loaded and in great shape. He paid $1,500 for it with a tick under 100K on the clock. He replaced the radiator and alternator right away. Total cost for both parts locally? $180... and that was with the good alternator (higher amps, longer warranty).

My point is, you can find cheaper, better trucks out there. If the Range Rover really makes you all that happy, then go for it. My take is you're a bit concerned as you've posted two threads asking if it's a good deal.
                        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                        17K Miles

Comment

trust me if I had my choice Id get a chevy truck,But my girl just really wants the rover(cause its classy ),Ill post pics this weekend,Im going to try to get it for a 1,000 since its from a homie,he doesnt need it the dude has 15 cars,6 harley's,and 22 go carts,he only drives 3 of his rides,the rest like the rover just sit and rot

Comment

Why did you even ask for advice if it seems what we have said is pointless?

You're buying it for the wrong reasons.

SHYEAH I GOTS ME A ROVA BUT AINT GOIN NO-WHERE!

Every time I have asked for advice on this board I have followed it, and couldn't be happier with those choices.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by '94 White Devil
                              Why did you even ask for advice if it seems what we have said is pointless?

You're buying it for the wrong reasons.

SHYEAH I GOTS ME A ROVA BUT AINT GOIN NO-WHERE!

Every time I have asked for advice on this board I have followed it, and couldn't be happier with those choices.
                              No ur advice isnt worthless thats why Im going to try to get the car for 1,000,I dont think u guys are understanding the car's for my girl ,not me, she wants it not me,2,000 for that car is a great deal considering that there 10,000 in the autotrader,

Comment

Working...
                              X