X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this is exactly why tire prices keep going up

La. woman wins $32.4 million judgment against Michelin
    Tire Business staff report©

DONALDSONVILLE, La. (Oct. 17, 2007) — A Louisiana circuit court has ordered Michelin North America Inc. to pay a local woman $32.4 million in a case arising from a 2002 auto accident that rendered her a paraplegic.

Drusilla Boudreaux, 54, of Gonzales, La., was a passenger in a vehicle that skidded off Interstate 10 near her home, crashed and caught fire. New BFGoodrich tires—a Michelin associate brand—had recently been placed on the vehicle’s front axle.

Ms. Boudreaux’s attorneys argued that Michelin had not informed Gonzales Tire and Rubber Co., which sold and installed the tires, that it is safer to place new tires on the rear axle, and that the car hydroplaned as a result.

A Michelin spokeswoman said it always advises all of its dealers to place new tires on the rear axle in cases where four new tires are not purchased. She also noted that a local weatherman testified the road wasn’t wet enough that night to induce hydroplaning, and she said driver error was the main causative factor in the accident.

Michelin plans to appeal, the spokeswoman said.

Carey Wicker, the New Orleans attorney who represented Ms. Boudreaux, could not immediately be reached for comment.

what a crock. dern lawyers and our system! its the drivers fault!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Even if it wasn't the drivers fault which it obviously is that is a ridiculous amount for a judgment.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I second that...32.4 million!?

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt...but man, that's whole lotta mula.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Europe (and most other places other than here) does it right. No frivilous lawsuits and sue happy people.

I mean, you could go to Germany and pay next to nothing on a Sunday and drive your car on the Nurburgring (13+ miles long). Here? Never happen with a course like that. Even small road courses cost an arm and a leg to even get on... And that's after signing multiple "please don't sue us" waivers.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

and for the record, everything i have been taught and heard as a tire engineer over my career, says put the two new ones on the front..... this threw me. i called Goodyear, General, and 3 other companies... it threw them too....they said front!!!!!!!!!!! i called Michelin and they would not comment due to litigation.

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

Burnouts!!

This is why tire prices should go up not that

1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

What is happening in this country... Unbelieveable...
              2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
              1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
              2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
              2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
              2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

michelins stance: scroll down and watch the video:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/how-to-buy/

in this condition..yes... the rear is better off with more tread.. but not in the majority of conditions.... sudden hydroplane of the front is much more serious..especially on a fwd car.... and can happen in a second.

Comment

Sucks that she's paralyzed, but she really shouldn't be entitled to anything. If her vehicle slid off the interstate, she was driving too fast.

It's unfortunate for her, but this is not Michelins fault. They make great tires, this is ridiculous.
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Just when you think people can't get any stupider...

Steve
                    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
                      and for the record, everything i have been taught and heard as a tire engineer over my career, says put the two new ones on the front..... this threw me. i called Goodyear, General, and 3 other companies... it threw them too....they said front!!!!!!!!!!! i called Michelin and they would not comment due to litigation.
                      That is what I have always heard too because if you can't control the front there is no point in worrying about the back.
                      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

La. woman wins $32.4 million judgment against Michelin
                        Tire Business staff report©

DONALDSONVILLE, La. (Oct. 17, 2007) — A Louisiana circuit court has ordered Michelin North America Inc. to pay a local woman $32.4 million in a case arising from a 2002 auto accident that rendered her a paraplegic.

Drusilla Boudreaux, 54, of Gonzales, La., was a passenger in a vehicle that skidded off Interstate 10 near her home, crashed and caught fire. New BFGoodrich tires—a Michelin associate brand—had recently been placed on the vehicle’s front axle.

Ms. Boudreaux’s attorneys argued that Michelin had not informed Gonzales Tire and Rubber Co., which sold and installed the tires, that it is safer to place new tires on the rear axle, and that the car hydroplaned as a result.

A Michelin spokeswoman said it always advises all of its dealers to place new tires on the rear axle in cases where four new tires are not purchased. She also noted that a local weatherman testified the road wasn’t wet enough that night to induce hydroplaning, and she said driver error was the main causative factor in the accident.

Michelin plans to appeal, the spokeswoman said.

Carey Wicker, the New Orleans attorney who represented Ms. Boudreaux, could not immediately be reached for comment.

what a crock. dern lawyers and our system! its the drivers fault!

what a bunch of horse shit. that lady deserves nothing, the driver deserves nothing. if the local weatherman said it wasn't wet enough out to hydroplane, then how can they argue the car hydroplaned off the road and crashed? the way i look at it, if your car is gonna hydroplane, it's gonna do it reguardless of where the good tires are. my car has 4 almost brand new nitto extreme all season tires on it, doesn't stop me from hydroplaning...

it's plain and simple... if you see enough water infront of you that you think you're gonna hydroplane, or it's raining that hard... SLOW THE HELL DOWN.
                        87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Well, if you think about it, I guess it makes sense. If you're moving forward, your CoG would be shifted toward the rear, right? If so, then if the rear loses traction, you have more momentum that would you need to regain control of vs. if the front loses traction. And, for a FWD car, that would be nearly impossible. For a FE-RWD car (front-engine, rear-wheel drive), it would be a little easier since you can use the throttle to help regain control of the rear. I don't know about a FE-AWD or ME-RWD or RE-RWD, as the weight dynamics are different. Does this sound like a sound theory? Or am I off?
                          Steve
                          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

On a slightly off topic but relevant note, If I trip and fall injuring myself, can I sue the manufacturer of my shoes?

Out of all the starving attorneys in this country you'd think that somebody would take me up on this.

Comment

New tires go on the front & nobody is going to change my mind. I dont care if you have a FWD, RWD or 4WD. Steering & Braking are more important to me than acceleration.

Im sorry that this lady got hurt, but this is about as rediclous as the lady who spilled hot coffee on herself @ mcdonalds. I hope that the next judge sees that & tells her to go fly a kite (Oh wait, she cant.)
                              No F-Body right now

Comment

Working...
                              X