Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane on Conveyor Belt...Revisited!

Oh no! Not again!!

The Mythbusters have decided to take this one on. It's supposed to air on 12 December.

http://www.mercurynews.com/food/ci_7...nclick_check=1

So, place your bets. The dead horse is about to take one more beating!
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

maybe next they'll tackle gravity...will a brick fall when dropped.
    Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

I've never gotten in on this argument before, but logic says no way. No air going over the wings, no lift, no fly. The only exception to this rule would be an RC plane, which has a massive power to weight ratio, so they can take off like that. So unless they have a 502 twin turbo with a 250 shot of nitrous on an ultralite made of titanium and carbon fiber, I don't see how it could fly.
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Comment

Can I ask a mod or admin to delete this? Not again.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

haha the thread that i started

but seriously, we need to drop a nuke on this topic
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

ahaha it truly has been a while since this was brought up that i remember beginning of the summer ? Someone keep us posted on the show hah def one i wanna see!
              1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

New Longblock at 110,947 and everything above.

Comment

RUN!!!!!!
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                <Motor out

Comment

I think a few of the people that got a bit out of hand with the debate are no longer on this site.

With that said, we'll just let Adam and Jamie sort it out.
                  SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                  Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                    Can I ask a mod or admin to delete this? Not again.
                    If we voted on it, I would have no problem making the thread go gentile into that goodnight.

Comment

Wow...I didn't know it ended up getting that out of hand.

In any case, I'll be sure to watch the episode to see what happens. No matter what happens I don't think it will change that many people's minds.
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD
                      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 99 Zeee!!
                        ...I'll be sure to watch the episode to see what happens...
                        the brick will fall.
                        Living in the pools, They soon forget about the sea...— Rush, "Natural Science" (1980)

Formerly "gauSSian" from my f-body days.

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
                          I've never gotten in on this argument before, but logic says no way. No air going over the wings, no lift, no fly. The only exception to this rule would be an RC plane, which has a massive power to weight ratio, so they can take off like that. So unless they have a 502 twin turbo with a 250 shot of nitrous on an ultralite made of titanium and carbon fiber, I don't see how it could fly.
                          you're correct about the no lift, no fly part. what you aren't taking into account, is that planes don't use wheels to move. they use the force of air, from either the prop or the jet engine. that alone will make the plane move forward, causing it to gain air over the wings, and eventually take off if the conveyor was long enough.
                          87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Originally posted by MunsonGTA
                            you're correct about the no lift, no fly part. what you aren't taking into account, is that planes don't use wheels to move. they use the force of air, from either the prop or the jet engine. that alone will make the plane move forward, causing it to gain air over the wings, and eventually take off if the conveyor was long enough.
                            Correct. The conveyor belt has no way to stop or even slow down the airplane. The wheels freewheel on bearings. There is very little friction in the wheels. As soon as the pilot hits the throttle, the airplane will begin to move forward and the treadmill will be helpless to even slow it down. The treadmill will accelerate to its mechanical limit and other than making the wheels on the airplane spin fast accomplish nothing.
                            Tracy
                            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                            Current Mods:
                            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                              Correct. The conveyor belt has no way to stop or even slow down the airplane. The wheels freewheel on bearings. There is very little friction in the wheels. As soon as the pilot hits the throttle, the airplane will begin to move forward and the treadmill will be helpless to even slow it down. The treadmill will accelerate to its mechanical limit and other than making the wheels on the airplane spin fast accomplish nothing.
                              What he said.
                              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                              X