Broke my nose!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke my nose!

Has anyone broke their nose before? I had a softball to my face (very solid line drive) that I lost in the lights - lights are kind of low. I didn't want to back down like a chicken, so when it re-appeared, it was 1" from my face, and I went down with endless amounts of blood.

If anyone has had this before, how long until the swelling stops, and black eyes go away? How many days do I have to keep icing? My ENT (ear nose and throat doc) has told my primary care physician that we wants to see me immediately - so hopefully whatever it is, they can fix it.
    Attached Files
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

I've broken my nose three times in three different sports.
    First was hockey, then rugby, then football (5 weeks after the rugby one). I didn't see a doctor for any of them because there is little to nothing they can do. I knew it was broken because of the intense pain and it wiggled a little! My nose was red for a very long, long time after each incident. All of the injuries were straight down to the nose, never at an angle. My eyes never turned black. Ice it if you can. Only if it compromises any other body part are these ever a serious problem. Your doctor may want to see you because of possible sinus complications.

Good Luck and Feel Better!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I'm suprised that you didn't have black eyes when you broke yours - don't know why mine is different. I don't feel that much pain except when chewing and firmly touching it. The biggest thing that happened was that it bled for about 8-10 hours, then finally stopped. And I cant breathe much through it right now (maybe 35%).

So your nose healed exactly right back without any sign of deformity? How was your breathing?
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

It depends on where the break is.. Usually the E,N&T Dr's want to see you is because of what may have happened to your septum/sinuses. You should be good in about 3-4 weeks. The swelling usually is going in 3-5 days from personal experience.

Good luck..
        2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
        1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
        2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

The doc tapped mine and stuffed about 3 miles of cotton up there. Talk about uncomfortable. Mine took about a week to be bearable again, and honestly about a month to be close to normal. I couldn't breathe worth a hoot before so hard for me to say if it had any effect there.
          Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Broke mine playing hockey four years ago. I was hit from behind and went face first into the boards. It didn't really hurt at first, Hurt more the following day. I went to the hospital after the game (wife's orders) and they taped it. Swelling went down a couple days later. Breathing was okay after about a week.

You'll be okay. Good luck.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

damn..sorry to hear that. if it does not heal right, come see me, ill break if for you again....

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                Thanks for the advice.

I'm suprised that you didn't have black eyes when you broke yours - don't know why mine is different. I don't feel that much pain except when chewing and firmly touching it. The biggest thing that happened was that it bled for about 8-10 hours, then finally stopped. And I cant breathe much through it right now (maybe 35%).

So your nose healed exactly right back without any sign of deformity? How was your breathing?
                Well, my polish hump is now more "exaggerated" to say the least. Breathing was hard for a week or two because is was so swollen. The reason you have black eyes is from the pressure (or blunt force) must have hit you straight on or upward. All three of mine had the pressure going down.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
                  damn..sorry to hear that. if it does not heal right, come see me, ill break if for you again....
                  LOL

Thanks guys for your advice. I am surprised that the docs were making more out of this than normal, but it's just to check sinuses - and eventually make sure my nose doesn't end up looking all screwed up. I'm disappointed though, thought my bones would have held up to that hit...wish they were made of titanium or something, hehe

Comment

Stupid fragile, non-titanium bones...hate 'em sooooooo much lol
                    Steve
                    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

The nose is actually just tissue and cartilage. Somewhat flexible, but very easily broken. Fortunately, it heals a bit easier than if it were bone.

Hope you feel better soon.
                      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

broke mine snowboarding a few years back but i guess like the rest of the guys i got it coming down so it was a huge pain just think i broke it because now i can't really breath out the one side of my nose (a deviated septum) fixable by surgery, but it's not that deviated that I'm going to worry about it.
                        1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

New Longblock at 110,947 and everything above.

Comment

Working...
                        X