Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've come to the realization that I have a problem.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've come to the realization that I have a problem.

I thought things were OK. Ever since that accident back in February, I haven't quite felt what I call normal. yeah, I'm recovering..... that's not the issue. Something about how I feel isn't quite right. I've test driven a couple of cars just to get some ideas for maybe replacing my WS6, all were very tame in comparison. Not that my WS6 was a rocket, it was a brisk performing streeter. The other day I stopped while on a road trip and ran across a candidate. A 2001 T/A with all the bolt ons. Heads, cam, exhaust, n20, gears, trans, you name it. A solid 11.0 car on slicks, maybe better. The guy was an old contact from years back and he knew what I was accustomed to driving. He tossed me the keys, I fired it up. Sweet....... really nice sound, it kinda poped and loped just right. not like an LT-1, it was different. I promptly shut it off, thanked him but said no. I didn't want to drive it. Not because I wasn't in love with the car, I didn't want to drive it. I thought maybe it was because it was a T/A. Anyway, just for kicks I stopped by the Chevrolet dealer just up the road. They have a C5 Z06 sitting in there and I felt like taking a peek. I knew the salesman from various meetings over the years and he tried to get me to take a test drive. No dice. Now I know something is wrong. The salesman hands me the keys to a Z06 and I won't drive it.

I get into my 94 and drive off and contemplate the whole sequence of events. I can't put my finger on what it is, but I've been able to come up with a few definate things.....No desire to take a friend's 11.0 car down a 1/4 mile track, no desire to take a Z06 on a test drive without a salesman present, thoughts of restoring my GN back to stock. I think I've lost the razor's edge when it comes to performance. I used to think that my 10.30 pro streeter (steet tires) was a little too tame for serious action, now I seem perfectly fine in a 4cyl 84 Fiero. I never thought this day would come, and I never saw it coming.

It seems like the accident, putting you on the sidelines, has given you the opportunity to try other things you normally wouldn't try, rationalize or even think about. Just like anyone, the person who you were has changed over time and continually will

To be honest, it just sounds like your telling yourself you need a break and focus on other things. But if you decide to pick up shuffle board, then I'd say you have a few screws loose or have been smelling the nitromethane once too often
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

Comment

Won't drive a ZO6? Ouch! Maybe you are still adjusting to your recovery. Not uncommon for people who have had a close call to have some re-adjustments, and maybe even a closer look at their own lives.

The subconcious is a funny thing. Having gone a little closer to the edge than you feel comfortable with, you may be trying to compensate a little, and hang back. Understandable, and not necessarily a bad thing, either-

Maybe you need to find a way to ease back into 'fun' driving, playing on some ATV's or a go kart. The speed is probably a little lower, and there are no negative connotations to recall.

The old advice used to be to 'get back on the horse' after it threw you, but don't feel pressured to, or feel that you have to 'prove' anything. Give it some time to get over the memories of the pain and healing, and the interest in performance will most likely return. We all need to be reminded of our mortality from time to time, and the consequences of bad driving. Yeah, it can be fun, but we all need to be careful, too. Take your time, I am betting the good memories will soon over power the bad ones-
      2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
      "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

I don't believe it was the accident.. I am sort of in the same situation as Joe. I love my Formula, but I'm at a point in my life (mid 40's) that it just doesn't mean the same to me anymore. I have had numerous performance cars over the years, and I drive the Formula less and less every year. I just put it away this past Wednesday night and I only put 1300 miles on it this year. I drive my Envoy or the Impala LS most of the time and I'm happy with them.

I have also looked at other cars, and then don't test drive them. It would be nice to have a new one, but I can't justify spending 45 - 50K on a car and let it sit in the garage. I guess my priorities are a little different now. I honestly don't know if I'd replace the Formula if I sold it. Just my .02...
        2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
        1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
        2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Or perhaps it's just learning to appreciate things you previously took for granted.

On know my diagnosis 7 years ago has opened my eye to all the little things I never realized before...makes all of the other stuff now seem down right silly.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

So are you losing your love for high performance cars in general, or just your need for extreme speed?
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

honestly, just give your self some time. thats all. One day while your driving down the road or in the front yard youll hear or see an fbody or some old or new muscle car and youll say ot yourself - hummmmm I need to get one of those.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
              2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

i think you need to just hop in one of those rides and see what it does for you. turning it down is one thing, taking one of those cars for a ride and not enjoying it... is totally different. give one a chance and see what it does for you.
                87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

im at the same point in my life and im only 20! i have a 406 SBC in my garage i just need pistons rings then i got a 10.1 sbc. but i dont have a car for it and im trying to get a trucking job and i want a pick-up again. maybe u just need a break for a while
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Just watch The Cannonball Run and you'll be fine.......
                    Darrin C
                    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
                      Just watch The Cannonball Run and you'll be fine.......
                      that's funny. i kinda do that from time to time. everytime i start to lose that itch... i pop in my smokey and the bandit dvd collection. the 3rd one sucks, but the first 2 are awesome. after watching those 2 movies, i'm back out ready to tear up some pavement.
                      87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

gxp solstice broh. trust me. go cart .....z06 took a poop. and folks dont try and mess with ya...cause they just think you are a roadster dude..not a racer..
                        first two seater, vert, 4 cyl i ever owned...but when that twin spool turbo hits..its like a shot of nos........ no lag... the back roads become fun...the stares come from everwhere..there's no ricer racer pressure...just somthing to put the top down and enjoy one on one. easy to detail to the max due to size......

its time......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

You could go buy a 1000cc-up sportbike. Then you'd say "Hmm, 11.0 street car, wimpy."

I go 10.5's without trying on my bike, so when I get in my Firebird I realize that speed is all relative. Then I get in my Astro van loaded down with subwoofers and realize that speed is VERY relative!

In all seriousness, I say just wait. Sometimes is better than actually getting what you want. You know how when you were a kid, and for months all you wanted was that one toy, gotta have it, NEED it. Christmas comes around, you get it, your overjoyed, then you realize that now you have it and that wanting feeling is gone. Happy and sad at the same time. So enjoy your time without a fast ride. And remember, that once you go fast, you want to keep going faster, until eventually you come full circle again.
                          "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

How much does it bother you? Do you loose sleep about it and think about it the whole day long?

If it doesn't, go on with your live. Be happy, drive the cars you have the way they are and maybe one day you'll wake up and have the need for more speed again.
                            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Back in the early 90s I bought a F150 4WD because I wanted to make sure I could go anywhere whenever I wanted. I had just had a little girl and I thought that was the responsible thing to do. 2 year later I ended up getting a divorce and I had to sell the truck and go back to the Mustang. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed driving a sports car. I have driven a sports car since.

I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like you just need a change (break). After what you have been through it is understandable. Drive a SUV or a truck for a few years and see how you feel then. You will probably be ready to after that.
                              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                              X