• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For pet lovers...touching story

Dog Gives Up Life to Save Man From Fire
    20 hours ago

CARTER LAKE, Iowa —

Bryan Smith has pictures of his dog in his coat pocket, a reminder of the pet that sacrificed itself to save him from his burning house.

It was Tuesday night when Storm jumped on the slumbering Smith and alerted him to the growing smoke and flames outside his bedroom.

Smith says he grabbed his curtains, wet them for a mask and grabbed his puppy Daisy while the older dog ran ahead.

It was the last time Smith saw Storm.

The man ran to a neighbor's home to call the Fire Department and noticed too late that Storm had not escaped.

Smith says he nearly lost his own life going back for Storm. Two Carter Lake firefighters had to pull him out the back door, where he collapsed while trying to save his pet.

"I know it was stupid, but ... people with pets understand," he said.

Smith is mourning the loss of Storm but also is counting his blessings. His childhood home was insured, the garage was saved and his children were staying overnight with a relative.

Now Smith is clinging to the only things he has left to remind him of his hero _ a few photographs and memories.

Smith recalls the time he met Storm seven years ago, when he rescued the dog from owners who he says were feeding her peroxide. Smith says that memory may best explain why Storm gave up her life to alert him of the fire.

"She was returning the favor, I guess," Smith says.

Fire officials say the fire likely began in the home's roof due to an electrical malfunction.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

My aunt had 2 dachshunds in rural south Georgia. One day she was walking across her gravel driveway and there was a rattle snake coiled up there. The 2 dogs jumped out in front of her to protect her. The snake bit one of them and took off. The dog died from it.

I had a snake bite me one time. He died from it. (kidding)
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
    X