cost per sq ft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cost per sq ft

Anyone have an idea were i can find the average cost per sq ft in madison county or estill county KY?

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Originally posted by thomas
    Anyone have an idea were i can find the average cost per sq ft in madison county or estill county KY?
    Cost of what concrete, storage building, house, apartment?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

sorry....to build a house on your own land.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current

Comment

Cost per square foot will vary depending on the type of house you build and how it is finished both inside and out and the cost of the land. But if you are trying to "ballpark" a cost per square foot, the easiest thing to do is to check out web sites like Realtor.com to see what price range homes (similar to what you are are interested in) are listed for in your area. Many times, square footages are given so you can calculate the price per foot on your own. In our area there are also many new homes shown on that web site as well so you can usually get a fairly good idea on the cost of new construction.
        2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-S
          Cost per square foot will vary depending on the type of house you build and how it is finished both inside and out and the cost of the land. But if you are trying to "ballpark" a cost per square foot, the easiest thing to do is to check out web sites like Realtor.com to see what price range homes (similar to what you are are interested in) are listed for in your area. Many times, square footages are given so you can calculate the price per foot on your own. In our area there are also many new homes shown on that web site as well so you can usually get a fairly good idea on the cost of new construction.

True. I thought about that but the catch is that those cost calculated also include the land. I already have land down there. Your right, its tough to get an estimate like that depending on how its finished. Like i said Iv got 30 acres down there and just want to build our house fown there but am trying to get a ballpark. Almost imposible to figure it out.

current

Comment

I don't think you are going to get a number that you can use for anything. An average would be like $75 a square foot but there are so many factors that go into building a house that it isn't worth much. How simple to elaborate do you want etc. Most people start out with a plan and a price and the builder will give you a budget for fixtures but most people will find that the budget is for the low end fixtures. When they go to buy them they say it's just $20 more for this one and $50 for this one lets get the better one. The next thing you know they are thousands over budget.

Building a house is a PITA especially when it is a long way away and you can't keep an eye on it. The buyer is looking for quality and the building is looking for where he can cut a corner to make more money. Personally I think the only way you can get quality is to be your own contractor. You can save a lot of money but you have to be available on site a lot.

I think you can also design a house to make it cheaper to build. My old boss did that in the last 2 years. He used pre built floor and ceiling joices and save a lot.

If you have a plan send it to a few buuilders in the area for quotes.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thomas

Local realtors in your area may be able to give you some costs as well. They are also a source for finding a builder, at least that's what I have found in the past. They usually know who does a good job and who doesn't. They also know who to recommend based on your requirements because typically guys who build $150 per foot houses are not the same ones as those who build $100 per foot houses.

Dave
              2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

you can try zillow.com and look at houses in your state similar to ones you plan to build for an estimate.
                Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                pics and info

Comment

Thomas -

I can't answer for your area, but I can tell you we are in a similar situation now. We have the opportunity to buy a piece of land for substantially lower than market value (level, cleared lot on 3.4 acres). Around here, that usually goes for big money. This is from a family member who is more than financially set, however.

So I looked at possible scenarios to build. Modular homes seem to be the best way to go around here. They are not the same as they used to be. In fact, they have full basements and foundations, and can be monsterous in size. There was a 4,500 sq ft colonial put on my road three years ago. It's a modular. There is absolutely no difference between that and a lot-built home.

With that said, call a local modular home company in your area. Around here. it's Westchester Modular. They have full catalogs which spell out pricing in print. You can even have a custom home built by them, but pricing varies.

That's my suggestion. After you make that call, if it doesn't sound like the way to go, call a reputable local builder and they can give you a free estimate.

Good luck!
                  SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                  Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

thanks guys. Just got a lot of things to think about I guess. My wife has family down there and Im in the process of getting hired on at one of the Fire Dept. down there.

current

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
                      Thomas -

I can't answer for your area, but I can tell you we are in a similar situation now. We have the opportunity to buy a piece of land for substantially lower than market value (level, cleared lot on 3.4 acres). Around here, that usually goes for big money. This is from a family member who is more than financially set, however.

So I looked at possible scenarios to build. Modular homes seem to be the best way to go around here. They are not the same as they used to be. In fact, they have full basements and foundations, and can be monsterous in size. There was a 4,500 sq ft colonial put on my road three years ago. It's a modular. There is absolutely no difference between that and a lot-built home.

With that said, call a local modular home company in your area. Around here. it's Westchester Modular. They have full catalogs which spell out pricing in print. You can even have a custom home built by them, but pricing varies.

That's my suggestion. After you make that call, if it doesn't sound like the way to go, call a reputable local builder and they can give you a free estimate.

Good luck!
                      i agree with greg, im a trash man so alot of times im driving around and seein housing being bilt and it seems to be mods are the way to go.

greg what road u live on?
                      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Trash man
                        i agree with greg, im a trash man so alot of times im driving around and seein housing being bilt and it seems to be mods are the way to go.

greg what road u live on?
                        Hawley right now... Been there just over eight years.
                        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                        17K Miles

Comment

ok, not me section of danbury. i thought i had seen a house with a t/a seen in a garage when i started my route but that was over on topstone dr

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Trash man
                            ok, not me section of danbury. i thought i had seen a house with a t/a seen in a garage when i started my route but that was over on topstone dr
                            I sold my T/A before you started I believe.

So you have the Triangle St/Old Shelter Rock section? I'm actually not very far from there. Couple miles.
                            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                            17K Miles

Comment

yea depending on the day, wednesday im in bethel, thursday im over on balmforth, golden hill, clapboard ridge and kind street(200 stops total) and friday im around lake ave and exit 2a.

Comment

Working...
                              X