No announcement yet.

Getting pulled over for a LOUD exhaust?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting pulled over for a LOUD exhaust?

Hey guys,

I'm ordering a LM II soon for my Trans Am, but I keep reading stories of people getting tickets for their exhaust set ups. I don't get how an exhaust system can be 50 state legal, but yet you can still get a ticket (obviously it is because it is too loud, but still). From what i've heard, the LM II isn't excessively loud, do you think i'll have any problems? I wish cops would stop worrying about stupid things like this, and worry about the more important stuff. Thanks guys!
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

yup loud exhaust = more attention, and not from single women...
    Cops by default think Loud = speeding or, willful intent to speed, exhibition of speed and you CAN'T argue around it to them .

Your better off in the long run keeping the stock catback and run Long Tube headers with cats... louder, but not so much as it will pi$$ off the local politician down the street from you that you disturbed from his tantric-yoga meditation session who'll raise Cain...
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

Comment

Thanks for the reminder

I was going to start a thread on this (and I'm sorry for "hijacking" the thread but it is relevant). My exhaust is somewhat loud. My car being white and with the tinted windows makes it look very slick.

What the point I am trying to make is our cars are profiled more than we think. It looks fast, so it must be doing something wrong. Last week at 130 in the morning I was driving home from my girlfriend's. There was a light ahead and mine was red. I could see that the other light was yellow so I correctly assumed that my light would be green when I passed through it. The cop had to play catch up because literally one mile down he started flashing lights. HE WAS NO WHERE NEAR THE LIGHT WHEN I WENT THROUGH IT. He pulled me over and asked why I am being pulled over I told him I went the speed limit through the intersection with a green light. Whats the problem? I was PISSED. This was the SECOND time the Millvale police department had stopped me without reason. The other time I was just trying to find a parking space and he pulled me over for looking suspicious. This town I was traveling through has more bigger (drug and violence) problems than me. I was let off with a warning for the light because there is no way I broke the law that night. And that cop knew I knew that.

One more time and I am filing a complaint.

Advice: Check your local laws about it. Otherwise, go for it but remember it will draw attention to you.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Well to be honest, I don't care. A few lousy cops aren't going to keep me from putting a cat back on my car. I'm putting it on either way, but i'm just slightly concern. If i'm driving legally I can't see how they could tell me i'm braking the law. I think the REAL deal is that half of them are jealous of our cars, and the other half think that everyone is a bunch of kids that are ALWAYS trying to be stupid in their hot cars (ironic I said that, because im only 17!! haha)

I guess I have to be extra careful when driving now, especially when I get my loudmouth. When I first got my Trans Am I tried to assure myself that I would drive COMPLETELY normal all the time. Well, sure enough, the first day I pulled onto the main road coming out of school, I was acting like an idiot. Adrenaline just took over and I couldnt prevent it from happening. I think once I get to drive my car more (I only drove it for like 2 weeks), this will somewhat go away. My parents told me: Speeding Ticket= no car, so I really have to watch myself.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not against cops or anything, I just can't believe that this is such a huge deal to some of them, and I think some of the stories I heard are absolutly ridiculous.

Everyone feel free to comment!
        Mods:
        "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
        Pro 5.0 Shifter
        Crane 1.5rrs
        Comp high tech pushrods
        SLP Loudmouth II
        SLP Cold air intake
        UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
          yup loud exhaust = more attention, and not from single women...
          Cops by default think Loud = speeding or, willful intent to speed, exhibition of speed and you CAN'T argue around it to them .
          Right on. I have been pulled over MANY times, usually in residential area's. Was pulled over after work and given a ticket when I cop said I was speeding, when I was not. It was the car being loud making him think I was. Case was dismissed in court. 5 blocks from home cop pulls me over saying I was speeding, again I was NOT and it ended up being after I had 4 beers and it cost me a DUI being just over the legal limit.

I did receive a ticket for a loud exhaust and it cost me $115.

Bottom line is, obnoxiously loud = fast. Cop hears you, looks over really fast, sees a blip of your car and assume you're flying down the street.

If you're the type who enjoys going to the bar for a few drinks, don't get a loud exhaust.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I really can't get a perspective of how loud the LM II is going to be....from what ive heard, its not obnoxious like the LM I.
            Mods:
            "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
            Pro 5.0 Shifter
            Crane 1.5rrs
            Comp high tech pushrods
            SLP Loudmouth II
            SLP Cold air intake
            UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

At the risk of tempting fate, I've never been pulled over in my Formula.
              Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

By the way, I thought a cop had to get you on radar to give you a ticket?
                Mods:
                "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
                Pro 5.0 Shifter
                Crane 1.5rrs
                Comp high tech pushrods
                SLP Loudmouth II
                SLP Cold air intake
                UMI adjustable panhard

Comment

I have the LMII and All the cops tell me its loud but sounds good.

SLP designed this system great. Quiet when it needs to be but pretty damn loud when u want it to be. I never had an issue. and there is cops all over the place here.
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Be careful if you take long road trips. Loud is good until you're in the car for hours on end. I had a Borla and could at least adjust the volume.

My personal favorite was Magnaflow. Louder than stock, but not "in your face" loud. You wouldn't get pulled over for a Magnaflow unless you were WOT.
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD
                    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

A little input from the cops side of things. One of my closest friends is a cop here in Texas. He is an NPO (Neighborhood Police Officer), which is a unit of the department that has officers assigned to certain areas of the city that are basically responsible for particular neighborhoods. They go to city council meetings, and make themselves available to the public to address concerns and complaints. Anyway, one of his most common reasons for writing tickets is loud stereos, and loud exhaust. The reason for that is that one of the main complaints he gets is noise complaints. So, if a cop does happen to pull you over for loud exhaust, don't blame him completely. He may just be serving the public as they have asked him to. That friend of mine hates writing tickets, but he hates getting negative e-mails and voice mails from his neighborhood residents even worse.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanC
                        By the way, I thought a cop had to get you on radar to give you a ticket?
                        No, but it helps. If a cop doesn't get you on radar and you fight it, you won't have to pay if he doesn't show. If he shows, it's your word vs his and the judge will most likely rule in his favor.
                        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 99 Zeee!!
                          Be careful if you take long road trips. Loud is good until you're in the car for hours on end. I had a Borla and could at least adjust the volume.

My personal favorite was Magnaflow. Louder than stock, but not "in your face" loud. You wouldn't get pulled over for a Magnaflow unless you were WOT.
                          Every truck around here has exhaust on it so no cops pull people over
                          1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

Here in California there is a certain db level that your car can be. When I had my honda I never got pulled over for loud exhaust, always for windows or smoked out tail lights. Well once the cop told me, "your exhaust is illegal you know that?" I nicely said, I dont believe so, It is not illegal to change your exhaust as long as I dont relocate my Cat and it is not over the legal db level. He replied in shock that I knew about that. And he let me go.

My buddy got one and all he had to do is take it to the near by college and they measured the db range and it passed. so.
                            Eddie
                            2000 M6 Trans Am
                            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I have VERY loud exhaust on my '95 T/A (true duals with flowmaster single chambers). I have yet to get pulled over for Loud and Excessive do to exhaust........however I have been pulled over for Loud and excessive from spinning tires on pavement, as well as other things. I imagine that my exhaust might have helped get their attention though.
                              '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
                              '00 T/A Silver
                              '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

Comment

Working...
                              X