Replacement Monsoon speakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Monsoon speakers

One of the speakers in the passenger-side door of my 1998 Trans Am is ailing and needs to be replaced.

Other than my local Pontiac dealer, can someone recommend a source for an OE speaker for this Monsoon system?

Thanks.
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

There have been several threads about this. http://www.f-body.com/forum/search.php?searchid=208053
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Hah ah aha.. Man its a true pain in the butt changing the speakers in the TA's. I went through about 3 pairs to find some that work right. U have to keep in mind that the average speaker runs at 4 ohms and the ones in the doors run at 2. So if you put a 4 ohm speaker it distorts like crazy. Its nearly impossible to find 6.5 inch speakers that run at 2ohms. What I ended up using is the Infinity Kappa series. They are Dual 4 ohm voice coils. So they run at 2 ohms. Then the TA's have a harness for the Tweeter that only the driver side has. So I placed some Pioneer tweeters there.
      All in all for just the doors it was about $200 in the 6.5" and the Pioneer tweeters. If u need Ill take pictures. But yeah its a pain. The only speakers that run at 4 ohms is the ones in the cargo area. The subs are the biggest pain.

This might help.

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19581
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

We have a speaker store here an that's all they sell. I had the same problem last year. I found 6.5 inch set for $70 dollars. YOu can get them cheaper, but it was a Saturday afternoon and I wasn't going to mess around. The mounts we're slightly larger and I had to trim the door panels, but I had them both replaced in under an hour and a half. I'll try to find the recipt and let you know the brand. Good luck.

Found the receipt... They we're Kicker DS650's.. MIne is the old 10 speaker system and not the true Monsoon, so these were matched up replacements for the one I removed.
        2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
        1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
        2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

get an ipod...............

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

KENWOOD EXCELON KFC-X1710 220WATTS 6.5" SPEAKERS

6-3/4" 2-way Speakers
            Power Handling:
            Peak: 220 watts
            RMS: 45 watts
            Carbon Polypropylene Hybrid Cone
            Rubber Surround
            3/4" Soft Dome Tweeter
            Cast Aluminum Basket
            Network Board on Terminal
            2 ohms impedance
            Top-mount depth: 2-7/16"

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
              get an ipod...............

You are truly an expert on woofers.
              R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Working...
              X