• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearing Car Door

http://www.disappearing-car-door.com/#

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AAtkoje4-eM

operational concept car

Cool idea!

Wonder how you get in or out if their is no power? Like a dead battery or an accident.
    Would kind of suck if a rock got stuck in the pocket for the door and scratched the door when it was retracted.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
    '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
    Bruce, μολων λαβέ

About time. Twice in the last week I had a hard time getting in my car because someone parked too close.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Just think, if everyone had them we wouldn't have to worry about door dings ever again!

Still, there are some things I don't like. Notice the seats need fold away arm rests. Storage space takes a hit with no more door pockets. Also, I wonder how long those motors last, particularly the window.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Nice design.

But then you would have idiots that disable the safety feature and drive around with it down.
        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

In the pouring rain the entire interior of your car gets soaked.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
            In the pouring rain the entire interior of your car gets soaked.
            I was thinking the same thing. Especially if someone drove by, hitting a puddle by the car.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

What are gangsters and cops going to do? You need a door to use for cover from gunfire.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
                I was thinking the same thing. Especially if someone drove by, hitting a puddle by the car.
                I don't know, based on the design pictures on the website the doors disappear into a compartment under the floorpan. And I am sure there is some type of weatherstripping or something to seal the door when it closes, so I don't think you would have to worry about the interior getting wet from splashing.

I would be concerned about the motor life though.

Randy
                99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
                93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Working...
                X