Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code reader/scanner buying advice

Hey guys,

I started my engine today for the first time in like two months (after fixing a blown head gasket) and noticed right away that my SES light was on. Obviously it is extremely hard, if not impossible, to figure out the problem without a scanner. Do you guys have any suggestions on buying one? I'm looking for one preferably under $100.

Also, what is the difference between a reader and scanner? From what i've seen, a scanner just shows the code, while a reader can display live data; is this correct? Would I be able to get something that will read live data for a fairly decent price?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
    Mods:
    "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
    Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Crane 1.5rrs
    Comp high tech pushrods
    Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
    SLP Loudmouth II
    SLP Cold air intake
    PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
    UMI adjustable panhard
    UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

hyperech power programmer with the power scan module...i ve tryed it today , maybe you can find one thats locked on some vin# and buy the power scan cartridge, i d say they must be cheap
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

A code reader reads codes (only). A scanner scans the PCM for sensor and calculated parameter data, in addition to reading and clearing codes. You can get a cheap code reader from Harbor Freight for less than $50. Scanners are more expensive. A good alternative to a hardware scanner for an OBD-II engine is AutoTap software, that you can run on your laptop, and log realtime operating data, in addition to a "virtual dashboard" display of several parameters that you choose and customize. If you get the "GM enhanced parameters" version of AutoTap, you will be amazed by the amount of data you can access.

http://www.autotap.com/

http://www.harborfreight.com/
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for the help! I was looking on amazon.com (I have a gift certificate); do you guys know of any good ones that they sell?
        1996 Trans Am M6 (T-Tops)
        Mods:
        "Race Ready" Rebuilt T56
        Pro 5.0 Shifter
        Crane 1.5rrs
        Comp high tech pushrods
        Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY
        SLP Loudmouth II
        SLP Cold air intake
        PCMforLess Tune + 160 thermostat
        UMI adjustable panhard
        UMI LCAs and relocation brackets

Comment

go to walmart, buy one, scan it, then return it...... sounds cheap but i hate walmart, and i like free code scanning
          2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
          1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
          past rides:
          1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
          2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
          1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
          2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
          2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
          1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
          1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
          1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

I have an autoXray. No problems and I would recommend it.
            http://www.autoxray.com/
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
            X