A stunning realization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A stunning realization

I've been saying for quite some time that SUVs and trucks will reach a point where the consumer gets fed up with the entire gas guzzling scenerio....... well, it's coming to fruition.

it's also official. The Toyota Prius has eclipsed the best selling SUV in new sales. Americans bought more Toyota Prius hybrid gas-electric hatchbacks last year than Ford Explorer sport-utility vehicles, the top-selling SUV for more than a decade.

The change of fortune, buried in U.S. vehicle-sales data for 2007 and unthinkable a few years ago, will find an echo at this year's Detroit auto show, which starts Sunday.

While Americans' love for powerful gas guzzlers remains strong, a slowing economy and high gasoline prices are forcing buyers to lower their sights.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...dExplorer.aspx

As much as I love the internal combustion engine, petrolium based fuels are going by the way of the dinosaur, no pun intended. For me, i cannot wait until I can get behind the wheel of a vehicle that has moster torque via electic driven wheels so that when I hammer the throttle, it quietly rips up to speed. No exhaust stench, no hot exhaust pipes, just the sound of tires trying desperately to claw the ground and gain traction. Of course it will take some time for that to be common, but it does already exist...... the Tesla for one example.

While I would love a Tesla, I would miss the rumble. Would have to make a CD with some engine noise.
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Get the best of both worlds and get the Escape hybrid. That thing gets phenomenal gas mileage. The ones at work pull close to 35 MPG
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I am fairly sure that within my lifetime I will attend a major cruise event in which the common thread among all us enthusiasts will be that we all have a car that burns gasoline.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

why is 35mpg phenominal? back in the 60's regular economy cars were getting 40~45 or more MPG, in the 70's and 80's the diesel rabbits and chevettes were gerring 50+, now in teh high gas price days 25 is awesome and 40 is unheard of, yet weve gone backwards in the economy of these cars, kinda weird with all the years of research and development we do these days
          2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
          1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
          past rides:
          1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
          2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
          1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
          2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
          2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
          1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
          1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
          1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

I was having a conversation with my sister who has a sport cute, she said something like I bet you get pretty sucky gas mileage in your Vette. I said I get about 19 in the city and 29 on the highway. Combination is around 22-23mpg. She said wow She gets about the same mileage on the highway that I get in the city. And I said yea and you have less than half the horsepower too. Everybody is pretty amazed at the mileage the LS1 gets. I said yea the 6 speed gets a couple of MPGs more than the automatic. Don't you love when you can get your cake and eat it too.

Until the electric world makes an affordable sports car like the Tesla for a reasonable amount, I won't consider one. I have to pull out on a road when leaving work that is heavily traveled and has a speed limit of 55. If I don't have some horsepower, I don't get out. The current hybrids just won't cut it.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Still won't change the underlying purpose behind the SUV sales. Families need the space! Before the SUV it was the Minivan, and before that, it was the Station Wagon.

I think what you are seeing in the stats, is the commuter cars. Then again states like CA based on the Eisenhower Freeway System, driving distances are a must....

Thing that defies belief to me is that people will pay $7000+ extra for a hybrid over a common car, just for the fact they think they will start saving money compared to regular ICE's (Internal Combustion Engines) right at the pump, while ignoring the fact the extra $ they had to dish out initially.

For the prices of hybrids, it will take 12 years of saving $ at the pump using hybrids to cover the cost of them. AND THIS IS ECONOMIC FACT (not including the $$$$ batteries will have to be replaced during this time as well)

I bet you'll start seeing an exodus to hybrids, once their technology cost is down to what a normal car costs, once companies get over the idea of charging extra for the new technology (VCR tapes cost more $ to make than a DVD and they charge more for DVD's...)

Just hope that your right in the long run Joe, for now I chalk it up to people who have $ to fling around...
              Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
              Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
              pics and info

Comment

I dunno, a huge corporation is getting your money either way whether it be Toyota, Ford or part of OPEC.....I guess I'd rather pay the car companies rather than the theiving opecs.....
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                <Motor out

Comment

Something that I think is relevant. Thanks to the current government policies, tax benefits were put in place that allowed small business owners to write off the entire cost of the SUV or pickup provided the cost was in excess of $30K and above a certain GVW. Literally there are millions of SUV and truck owners out there that really don't need them but made the purchase choice based on the ability to write off the whole expense.

That's a real smart governemt stradegy. Give huge tax benefits to those who purchase the least fuel effecient beasts of the available products. no wonder we're going though oil at such fantastic rates.

Comment

I think part of the SUV pheonomenon is because some people need space to haul 4 kids and the dog, or a hockey team with gear bags- You used to be able to buy a 6-passenger full-sized car with a large trunk to do so- not many options like that now- you either end up with a minivan or a suburban-type truck.

Another problem with them is that they make the drivers feel invulnerable- big, hulking vehicles that can drove over or through almost anything- so some of the drivers act like idiots, intimidating other drivers, tailgating, etc. Just because you can drive 70 MPH in snow doesn't mean that it is a good idea to, and it takes even longer to turn or stop all that bulk.

I am not faulting drivers that actually need a truck to haul their stuff, or pull a large trailer. I don't understand why every other housewife in suburbia 'needs' a huge, gas-guzzling tank to go to the mall and pick up 5 bag of groceries....
                    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

I made fun of people who drove SUVs prior to having a family with three kids and living at 9,000 ft. My family needs two 4x4s...one of which must carry all of us and our stuff. The Liberty CRD does great on gas 22mpg in the city and up to 30 highway...the Yukon drinks it like I drink water. However, the Liberty doesn't have enough room for all of us. It would certainly help if there were more diesel options in the SUV market until the technology gives us "useable and affordable" alternatives. It is doubtful that we will ever have a reasonable compromise with all the bunny-huggers out there.

I hope the the Chevy Volt becomes reality. I really hope this technology can be placed in 4x4s eventually. Until they make some fuel efficient alternative to the big SUV, some of us are stuck driving them. Now, the soccer moms...that is a whole 'nother story???
                      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                      X