Speaking of SUV's....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of SUV's....

I swear, I will never own one of those things. Today I saw the second rollover accident involving an SUV in as many years....right as it happened. The first time was about a year and a half ago involving a Mitsubishi Montero that I saw roll twice on the highway on my way to work. The lady in it seemed to be ok, but it looked pretty bad. The one today I saw on my way home from work looked like either an Isuzu or Nissan SUV. I saw it just in time to see it rolling onto it's top from it's side and sliding for about 100 ft on the roof. The roof was fairly well caved in, so I am almost sure the driver was badly injured, if not worse. It was on the southbound side and I was going north. I started to slow down to stop, then realized I would have had to run across three lanes of traffic to offer help. So, I settled for just calling 911 and reporting it.
    My wife used to want an SUV really bad, but I just don't trust the things. Give me a low to the ground sports car anyday. Or at least a safe car like my wife's Passat. The utility aspect just doesn't out-weigh the risk.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

No offence but I think you may be jumpin the gun here. Im a firefighter and we do alot of MVC's and Ill tell you that usually the patients in the SUV fair better. Ofcourse every inncident is different. If you think about it there alot more surface so the force can be distributed more around the person. Most of the the solo rollovers ive seen are either the person is driving way too fast and it was an older topheavy midsized suv. If you look at a trooper you can just tell thats top heavy. tall, short wheelbase and skinny! Get a tahoe or something like that. they dont sit high at all. Ofcourse iv also seen people get out of a mini cooper that was half its original size and walk away! Just saying do some research on them before shut them out yet. just my 2 pennies.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

It's the driver. Most people don't know how to drive a car much less an SUV. The SUV is less forgiving of stupidity then a car lower to the ground. My lifted Suburban will go through anything but it must be respected; I can only do about 30-35 on snow and ice without the strong possibility of losing control of it. If someone shifts the weight rapidly in an SUV back and forth through traffic or on wet or icy roads, then there will be a problem. There is a dangerous stretch of steep graded road through extremely tight turns called Turkey Creek Canyon on my way to work. Most of the accidents I see on this road are from some dude in a truck going way to fast. I did see a Nissan Pathfinder get turned over by a good hit in the butt when it was going around a turn...again...the turn was made too fast trying to beat a light so then again...the stupidity factor applies.
      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I agree with Markd. It's the driver and not the car. I own a 96 Bronco and a 97 T/A WS6 along with an offroad Manx. Three very different rides and all deserve respect otherwise you're headed for trouble.
        97 Trans AM WS6 RamAir

Comment

Working...
        X