Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ken (wolfdogs)... pressing tire safety question within.... please help ASAP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken (wolfdogs)... pressing tire safety question within.... please help ASAP!

Ken, I was walking past my wife's car today when I noticed her driver's side front tire looked messed up. I took a closer look and sure enough it looks like a couple belts seperated inside or something. i know this happens from time to time and have seen it many times before, but this particular tire had two very close together and it looked like it was about to pull the bead off the rim. I've attached 2 pics so you can see what I'm talking about. They aren't great because they're from my cell phone, but you'll get the idea. I don't think it looks safe to drive on for long or at high speeds, but it's holding air for now. It just doesn't look like it would take much to pull that bead off the rim and have a sudden, immediate blowout.

My wife says she doesn't remember hitting anything with it, but you can tell from smudges on the rim and tire that it looks like she scraped something. The tire probably only has 10-15,000 miles on it. I don't recall the make of it at the moment. What can you tell me from these pics? How safe is this tire in this condition?

I appreciate your input!
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Not a tire expert here, but I wouldn't be driving with a tire like that anymore.
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I wouldn't be driving on it either.
      it looked like it was about to pull the bead off the rim.
      I think you've answered your own question about how safe this condition is. Driving on it...Why risk it?

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
      '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
      Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Toast.......Don't use it.

Comment

Wierd! I had the same thing happen maybe 6 months ago- the bubble eventually burst, too- On a couple week-old General tire. I had contacted the company, because I didn't remember hitting anything, either. They wanted the tire back to check if for a warranty claim, but the tire blew before I even got it off-

I haven't seen that in at least ten years- I have had belts separate, but this looked to be a bubble on the sidewall-

I would take the tire off immeadiately, and air it down- if you can get it off in 1 piece maybe you can make a claim on it- Don't drive it at all!
          2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
          "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Agreed...not safe

Looks to me like the tire is delaminating. The belts are vulcanized to the outer rubber shell. It looks like air has gotten under/between the belt and the outer rubber layer. May have been caused by impact, but probably a manufacturing defect that took this long to manifest.

Ken is the expert...he'll know for sure.
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

the tire probably has a warranty on it, see about getting it replaced for free.
              87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

u have a hole on the inner liner of the tire, the tire is not safe to drive on and i would recommend puttin the spare on be4 it blows.
                2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

The tire was replaced today, no more worries.
                  Dave M
                  Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

those are not "belts". the belt package only covers the tread surface area and ends at the shoulder. thats the cord body of the tire. usually caused by an impact. (who ever said "hole in inner linerr"......thats not right, that wont cause that to happen right away).

localized sidewall, upper and lower protrusion is usually caused by:

road hazzard, impact damage, mounting damage, run flat, improper repair, bead damage, and on a brand new tire, manufacturing condition.

glad you got it replaced.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Ken,

Was I close? Is it air getting between the cords and the outer shell? What bonds the layers together?
                      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                        Ken,

Was I close? Is it air getting between the cords and the outer shell? What bonds the layers together?
                        in some cases, yes, that can happen, or its the spliting of the body cords them self, allowing the rubber (which is all thats left for structural integrity) to bulge.

here's a pic of the construction of that simple black round donut we all take for granted....LOL

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                        X