Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My poor bully...

He just turned 5 months old.

Friday night before bed he won't out for a few minutes to go pee, and was fine when he came in. He laid in his cage and went to sleep.

He woke up the next day, limping. He wouldn't put any pressure on his left hind leg. That Saturday morning we went to the vet and he said he may have tore or stretched his acl. He recommended that he take it easy and gave a prescription for pain. We gave him a pain pill and kept him confined so he couldn't injure it further.

Well, he didn't get better. Yesterday he wasn't moving at all. He just laid there with his ears back looking sad.

Today he was worse, so we took him back to the vet. We were there for about 5 hours. The doctor said it looked like a case of HOD.

He is 5 months and weighs 56 pounds.

The doctor said it usually occurs with bigger dogs and at a young age. The doctor gave him some antibiotics, and if he doesn't improve, he's going to get some blood work done.

I hate seeing him like this, it's breaking everybody's heart in the household.

He won't eat, so we cooked him some chicken breast to try to get him to eat something. Fortunately my dad is home from surgery and they can sit around laid up together.

He's getting a lot of attention, and I hope things turn OK for him.

This really sucks
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

That's heartbreaking. I hope he gets better for you. Like others have said on this board, they are part of the family.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

That's tough man... Good luck.. I've been through these types of things twice with our animals and luckily they've turn out OK in the end..
      2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
      1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
      2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
      2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
      2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Have faith, man. He'll pull through. It's very hard to see an animal like that, but it sounds like he's in very good care.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Sorry bro..... forgive the ignorance, what is HOD?

Comment

Sorry to hear. We all love our housemates.

Here is an interesting article I found.

HOD or Not?

HOD Definition

Comment

I hate to see our loved pets suffering...you can just see it in the pictures. I'm sorry to read about this...but he looks like a strong pup. I'm sure he'll pull through.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Thanks guys. He's looking worse today. His legs are HUGE and blood vessels are exploding. His front right paw is normal size, but his left is really big, and one size all the way down.

The vet said it's good that, because it shows that the water is making it's way down.

It is HOD. And Joe, those links describe it well. He just grew so damn quick.

Here are some pics I took tonight.

We have to force him to pee by holding him up and pushing on his bladder.

I am concerned about how he's going to poop. The vet said that when he has to go, he will.

We've been putting him in the tub and shooting him with the massager with luke warm water. He seems to enjoy it.
                97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

my coworker has a 1/2 black lab 1/2 golden that has had two acl surgeries with great success....

thats so terrible. hope the lil guy gets better fast. keep on spoiling him.

we (mary and i) have not had to deal with an hod dog yet...

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
                    my coworker has a 1/2 black lab 1/2 golden that has had two acl surgeries with great success....

thats so terrible. hope the lil guy gets better fast. keep on spoiling him.

we (mary and i) have not had to deal with an hod dog yet...
                    You're very fortunate, and I hope you never do. I don't know if you've ever seen a dog face to face with HOD, but it's the most depressing thing you'll ever see. It would seriously kill you to see Keona with it, Ken. He doesn't move, he looks depressed, won't eat. He's totally lifeless. That's not my happy little man lyin' there. It's like the disease took all the life out of him over night.

A quick update, he showed some improvement. He was moving his head around, and even lifted himself up. My mom got him a pig's ear, and he's enjoying that, and using his paws to manipulate it around, which is the ONLY movement we've seen in days. He literally, has not moved on his own. He's carried downstairs to be on the floor in the same room as the family, carried back upstairs to go to bed, and carried into the tub a couple times a day (usually cuz he pee's on himself).

I'm hoping to see even more improvement by the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                    X