Our new house....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our new house....

Actually, it isn't quite ours yet, but we should be closing on it some time in April after it is completed. My wife and I have been renting for the last 6 years since we got married. We finally decided it was time to buy. After looking at several pre-owned homes, and missing out on one that we thought we were going to get, we decided to go ahead and buy new. This one is located in Aubrey, Texas, which is about 25 miles north-east of Dallas. There are several new home developments practically out in the middle of nowhere in this area, and the deals are great compared to the areas that are more developed. The house is 3 BR, 2bath, 2 car garage, about 1741 Sq ft. It will have 10 ft ceilings, all rounded corners on the inside walls, stainless steel appliances, seperate tub & shower in the master bath, a study at the front of the house (where the bay window is), and a few upgrades. We are paying right around 141K for it.
    It is going to be a big jump from our current rent to paying that mortgage, but I am just sick of throwing money away on renting. We have spent probably 15-16 thousand dollars over the last 2 years on renting. I wish that could have been going to building some equity...but better late than never. We are nervously excited about it. I think once we get past the first few months and prove to ourselves that we can handle the payment and be responsible adults (we are both over 30 now ) with our spending, we will be able to fully enjoy the house. Here are some pics....

This is the first time we saw it, about a week ago.

Today, about a week later. I was surprised how much progress they made.

This will be our kitchen, with the island framed up.

The living room. I think that diagonal board is temporary.

Anyway, we still need a refrigerator, as we didn't want to buy the one they offered at $1300 and pay for it for 30 years. Anyone know where I can get one cheap? It needs to be black and stainless steel to match the rest of the appliances. I was thinking maybe buying a dented one at Best Buy or something.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Building a house can be a wonderful experience. It can also be a horrible one and very trying. I hope it is a good experience for you. Looks like a wonderful layout. Love the roof line.

I've custom built two houses now. It is very rewarding ONCE it is completed.

Have fun and keep us updated.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

nice house man! sonds like its gonna be sweet! my dad just bout my mom a GE stainless steel french door fridge witht he bottome freezer and inside water dispensor for i think like 600 or 900? its very nice and its an engery star rating machine
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Congrats... I've built 2 also, and as PN says it can be very rewarding and very frustrating...

It is worth it in the end...
        2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
        1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
        2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Thanks guys! I think one of the things I am most excited about is the garage! My car has never had it's own garage. Not in the 8 years I have had it. How sad is that? I hope she isn't claustrophobic. Man....actually being able to change my oil in my own garage, apply Zaino in the shade of my own garage, holy crap it's gonna be friggen sweet. Oh yeah, and the inside of the house will be nice too.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

That is a nice looking start...The only thing I would be worried about is if that is a slab floor. My buddy had a slab floor in his house where they ran the plumbing right through the slab. Needless to say, a pipe burst and he had a helluva time repairing it. Then again, we are talking about two totally different climates. I believe his pipe froze then burst. I doubt you have those problems in Texas...
            Greg W. in West Michigan
            1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
            1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
            1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
            1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
            1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
            <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
              Thanks guys! I think one of the things I am most excited about is the garage! My car has never had it's own garage. Not in the 8 years I have had it. How sad is that? I hope she isn't claustrophobic. Man....actually being able to change my oil in my own garage, apply Zaino in the shade of my own garage, holy crap it's gonna be friggen sweet. Oh yeah, and the inside of the house will be nice too.
              haha hope u got a big enough one. when i get my own place i wanna get a two car barn type garage
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by FroSSty
                That is a nice looking start...The only thing I would be worried about is if that is a slab floor. My buddy had a slab floor in his house where they ran the plumbing right through the slab. Needless to say, a pipe burst and he had a helluva time repairing it. Then again, we are talking about two totally different climates. I believe his pipe froze then burst. I doubt you have those problems in Texas...
                Yeah...we don't have much worry about frozen anything here. LOL There are virtually no houses here that have basements. Something about the bedrock being to hard or something. I prefer a slab though, no hollow thumping sound as you walk on the floor. My Canadian wife tends to disagree, though. Oh well, when in Rome....

Comment

stick house?...gonna be cold in the winter...

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Take a look at traditional top freezer, bottom refrigerator units. They are quite a but cheaper than side by side units as well as bottom freezer units. Also, they are the most energy efficient of all designs, as the cold naturally flows down to cool the bottom. You can get a really nice unit for less than $1,000, whereas the side by sides start at that.

If you are set on stainless, make sure it's coated. Raw stainless is a pain to keep smudge free. Several companies (GE and Kenmore) now have coated stainless that resists finger prints.

Personally, I like color. Can't wait for appliances to become as colorful as they were in the 70's. Take a look at the wild colors in washer/dryers...
                    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
                      stick house?...gonna be cold in the winter...
                      But think of how much we will save in air conditioning.

Comment

Wow man. Around here, 141k might be enough to buy a shanty in a bad neighborhood. Might.

Lots of luck. We had our house completely redone years back and it was pretty exciting. I hope you enjoy it!
                        Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                        SOLD- Kinda miss it
                        94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                        SOLD- Good riddance!
                        2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by Trash man
                          haha hope u got a big enough one. when i get my own place i wanna get a two car barn type garage

That's always a problem and PN can attest to it.. You never have a big enough garage. I have 3 1/2 car now and a shed and they're crammed full.
                          2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                          1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                          2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                          2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                          2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Nice place. I was a carpenter for several years (still am on weekends and some weeknights). Looks like they are doing a nice job on the framing. So many of those development houses are just thrown together so they can move onto the next one. Doesn't seem to be the case with yours. The right builder makes all the difference.

Having a slab house will actually help with insulation from the floor. No dead space below you.

Good luck with it!
                            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Those pics remind me of our first house we built when I was 15. My dad is a contractor and my brother and I helped him install all the tile in the house while it was being built. We saved a lot of money in labor.
                              Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Working...
                              X