Stop Light Camera ticket! Need Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Light Camera ticket! Need Advice

Well I got it in the mail. With my picture and everything. I was making a right turn and It took a picture of my car claiming I ran a red. Thats stupid as hell. There was not sign that states, No right on red, So why would that me a moving violation. Im going to try and get out of this one b/c I dont think thats right. Im going to go back there again today after work to confirm there was no sign about turning on red.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Go back and take a picture that will verify where you are and that there are not any signs. Take the picture to court.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
      Go back and take a picture that will verify where you are and that there are not any signs. Take the picture to court.
      your best bet, a cop gave my bro one but there wasnt a sign stating you couldnt do that and he didnt pass any cars. he took a picture and bought it to court and it was dropped
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I became an "expert" on these cameras when I got my ticket 4 years ago. I hate these things. The reason why it flashes right turns is because you were above the "minimum speed" that the camera alots for taking the photos. They claim they can tell that you didn't make a full stop if you hit this minimum speed. So the first question is, did you make a full stop? They can supposedly nail you for that too if you didn't.

If you fight it, make sure you find out if they have video at the intersection. Most cameras now have full video where you can see the occurence. I also know, in my county, Redflex as well as the local PD, review the tape and pictures before issuing a citation. If they believe a violation occured, they will issue. Not saying you committed a violation, but just make sure you know your county rules/laws before you fight it. Here's a great web site to reference: http://www.highwayrobbery.net/
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

The law is: A right turn on red AFTER a full stop- it is not a 'yield' sign, or a race to beat on-coming traffic. Stop, look around, then proceed- or run the risk of getting a ticket-
          2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
          "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

As other have said, you got the ticket for not making a full stop before turning right, not for the right turn itself. I doubt there's any getting out of it. However, there are lots of lawsuits and court cases going on right now, and recently decided, about these things. Do some research and see what you can come up with. The best argument so far seems to be that the cameras themselves are unconstitutional, not that they don't work.
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

One thing I just remembered, I recently (within the past couple days) read an article about a guy who fought his ticket on the grounds that by sending it to him, the state was requiring him to testify against himself in court, against his 5th amendment rights. If he doesn't testify, all they have is a pic of his car at an intersection, and they can't prove he was actually driving it. (the pic didn't show the driver) The judge through his ticket out, but lawyer groups and the ACLU said he might have had a good case/argument. It seems that if you raise a stink, they just get rid of you and your ticket because they know these cameras don't hold up in court. Look up the story, sorry I can't tell you where it was or where I read it. If the pic shows your face, you might be screwed.
              Dave M
              Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
              X