Looking to adopt a dog...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to adopt a dog...

Well, now that I'm out of the Navy and my wife and I are settled into our townhome, we're looking to adopt a new pet. I've wanted a dog for a long time, but wasn't in the position to care provide a nice home.

Now we're there and I'm on the lookout!! I've been looking at Cocker's and Cocker mixes. I've been in touch with a local (NOVA) rescue organization, and have been checking out shelters.

We're looking for a smaller, but not tiny, dog. Has to be good with other dogs and respectful children. I'd rather have a younger active dog. We have a lot of walking trails around, our yard is fenced, and there's a dog park nearby.

I've been checking cockerspanielrescue.com and petfinder.com. If any of you know of an animal that would be a good fit for us, feel free to drop me a line!
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

golden retrievers are the best dog out there...and some are not real big.

contact my wife. http://www.grreat.org , look under board of directors, shes the intake coordinator, she can locate a rescue for you..many have pups.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Cocker Spaniels are not the smartest dogs around. I had one and he was good with my child but not with anyone else's. He was sweet and loving to me and my family but no one else. He would snap at other people. He got a few too. I'd tell people not to come up and touch him and they would say oh it's ok. Then they would be liking their wounds. One time a boxer twice his size jumped him while I was walking him on a leash and he tore that boxer up.

I have to agree with Ken. Golden Retrievers are the smartest best behaved best around kids dog there is. If I ever get another dog that is what it will be.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Check out various breeds- while not fail-safe, maost have specific behaviors and tendencies- Goldens are faithful and affectionate, Labs can be high-energy but pretty docile, though, again, not all- and an aggrressive 100 lb. dog can really ruin your day.

Dogs teach us many things, about personal responsibility, and taking care of someone else who depends on us. They are tremendous companions, always ready to 'be there' for us, and enjoy whatever time and attention we can give them.

Lots of good info available about training and pack dynamics- I won't attempt to go over all that here, but you need to understand your role in the family pack, and how to show the dog who is in charge. A dog that understands this early on will be better adjusted and happier.

Good luck- I think dog people are pretty special to take another species into their homes and hearts. They teach us much about loyalty and faithfulness-
        2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
        "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Speaking of dogs...

Who is man's bast friend?

A dog is truly a man's best friend.
          If you don't believe it, just try this experiment.
          Put your dog and your wife in the trunk of the car for an hour.
          When you open the trunk, who is really happy to see you!?
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks for the input...and I agree, goldens are great dogs. Very loving and some will put up with just about anything to be around their people. Although I wouldn't have a problem with it, my wife hasn't grown up around dogs, so she's a little hesitent about getting a larger breed.

I've heard about some cockers having temperment problems and I'm definitely on the lookout for that. I hadn't considered them before, but was impressed by some of the ones at the rescue organization. We put in an application for one, but we're 2nd in line. She had a loving family before and was able to put up with all the attention from strangers.

I'm considering Beagles, but I understand they'll pick up a scent and follow it to the ends of the earth. Also they're popular right now, and I worry about the number of puppy mill dogs around.

For now, we'll be patient and see what pops up.
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Another vote for goldens, I have two and have grandkids and my own kids never had any trouble. Everyone LOVES "the boyz".

My 3 year old grand daughter stands in front of them, points her finger and says DOWN and then lay right down at her feet.

They are just big lap dogs! I have had a few different breeds of dogs and if your wife is a little concerned about dogs, these are the best to have around! She will have no fear at all around them. They are the most lovable animals I have been around. They are great with company too! They just want to be loved. That's it, they have no issues.

Comment

I have a rescued Golden and love her to death. She's actually really big for a female, but I have three kids ages 7 and under, and she's awesome with them.

I also have two Jack Russells who are equally great with the kids. They are an excellent small breed. Crazy and full of energy, but great dogs.
                SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I personally love American Pit Bull Terriers. I heard all the negative stuff all my life. My dad brought one home 6 months ago and he's the most well behaved, sweetest dog I've ever been around.

When you walk in the door, he walks up and he crinkles his nose. His entire face just smudges up and fills with wrinkles. Everyday when I walk in he does that, I remember the first time I noticed it, my mom called me when I was on my way home and said "When you walk in, make sure you look at Petey's face, it's so cute!"

Well, he went to the vet the other day to get checked up, and when the vet walked in, he started cracking up. He said "I can't believe it. He's smiling. I've never seen a dog smile like that."

He's great. He just has a lot of energy. Lucky we're a 5 person family and he gets all the attention and play time he wants, 24/7 pretty much. I wouldn't recommend him if you and your wife aren't home most of the day.
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Ok raroZ28 of your dog smiling. Hop to it an get some pics.
                    Blazer

Comment

I say get yourself a good old fashioned mutt. The best dogs I have ever had were so mixed that it was hard to tell what they had in them. Not to mention, there are lots of them in shelters that need a good home. Pure breds tend to get so inbred that they can have all manner of health issues and what-not. To each their own, but I will never pay a penny for a dog unless it is the $50 fee to rescue them from the pound. That's the only way I have ever gotten one. There are too many dogs that are getting put to sleep in shelters every day to go spend a few hundred dollars at a puppy mill. Just my $0.02

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                      X