Jeep?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep?

Okay... I searched for this topic before asking, so if I missed it and we're beatin' a dead horse, it's not on purpose...

What do y'all think about the new Wrangler Unlimited?! I've looked in to them a little bit, but you never know what's right and what's crap... so I figured I'd go to the people I trust most in the car world... let 'er rip...
    '07 Black Tahoe LTZ (my new baby)

'96 White Firebird (sold )

I'm torn. I like the concept, but also don't like the concept. The part that is negative is a combination of wheelbase and height makes them easier to tip when turning over rough terrain.

Comment

The unlimited with the longer wheel base will ride better and tow better than the unlimited. However on very rough terrain you could high center it and get stuck more easily.

They look funny to me.

What do you want to do with it? It's not going to be good for getting out of the way of these recent tornadoes.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

okay... well I guess first of all I don't plan on going rock climbin' in the thing! but you never know... $#!t happens...

and Jeff... I wanna drive it!... That was kinda smart @$$... sorry
        haha...
        I don't plan on driving in tornadoes!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          The part that is negative is a combination of wheelbase and height makes them easier to tip when turning over rough terrain.
          Seems like this would be helped a little more than the limited wrangler because it's so much longer? am I wrong?

Comment

The longer wheelbase makes it more stable when turning and for those not getting aggressive off road, is probably a much better choice. It's the short wheelbase and high center of gravity that gets people into trouble before they know what hits them. If you are towing a boat up and down a launching ramp, the shorter wheelbase will get you in and out of areas that will hang up a longer wheelbase vehicle. It's all about how you intend to use it as to what you should ultimately purchase.

Comment

it's mostly because 1) I need a new DD... the firebird has a few grey hairs... (and no I don't care about gas efficiency) 2) I've always loved Jeeps 3) It's a 4-door Jeep and 4) we have a utility trailer that I need to be able to pull...

I guess my main concern is if y'all have heard anything negative about them as far as not being well made or having a lot of problems really early on... etc

Comment

I'll give my opinion, but only because you asked.

I'm not a huge fan of the four door Wrangler. I liken it to GM producing a four seater Corvette. It's just not Corvette...

SOme may argue the new GTO was basically a four seater Vette, but it's a completely different animal. The four door Wrangler is a stretched Jeep. That's it.

With that said, my brother works for a Chrysler/Jeep dealer. He said the auto tranny's are a bit sketchy, but the manuals have been fine. Other than that, they're pretty nice and hold their value well.
                SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

im not sure bout the newer ones but i kno jeeps had a problem wrapping the front rotors. and i havent heard much bad bout the 6 thats in them(3.7L i think)
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Now that I have my dog, I'm thinking about getting a Wrangler myself.

I'm gonna have to agree with Steel, though.
                    Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

The four door Wrangler is nice. I know several people who have lifted it and used it on the trails here in the Rockies. It is a pretty solid vehicle. The removable hard top with the integrated soft top is really nice. Like the traditional two door, the doors can be taken off to go off road. The Rubicon is much nicer with the Dana 44 up front. If they put the 3.0 CRD diesel option in it, I would buy one in a heartbeat. Anyhow, it is a great vehicle if you are an outdoors person. If you are an urban person, it is probably a huge waste of fuel in Alabama.

My wife has this Jeep on her wish list. With three kids and two dogs, the traditional two door is not an option. However, we won't get one because of the fuel economy. It gets about the same as my Denali.
                      '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                      '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                      '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                      '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                      X