Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th Gen Gets 300HP V6; GM Considering Turbo Ecotec

Source: Email Alert From Automotive News

NEW YORK -- General Motors is considering a four-cylinder engine for the new Chevrolet Camaro as a response to rising fuel prices.

Speaking on the sidelines of the New York auto show, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said the drivetrain under consideration for the Camaro is the same high-performance one used in the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters. It's a 2.0-liter turbocharged, direct-injected four-cylinder rated at 260 hp. Lutz said that if fuel prices continue to climb, the four-cylinder Camaro could see production.

GM has said it plans V-8 and V-6 versions of the Camaro but otherwise has been secretive. Lutz confirmed to Automotive News that the V-6 version of the Camaro will be powered by the same high-tech V-6 used in the Cadillac CTS. It's a direct-injected, 3.6-liter four-cam V-6. In the CTS, the engine is rated at 304 hp.

Lutz said GM has dropped plans to offer a low-priced, entry-level Camaro with one of GM's low-tech V-6s. GM will position both the V-6 and V-8 versions of the Camaro as premium cars compared to the Camaro's chief rival, the Ford Mustang.

Lutz would not talk specifically about the Camaro's pricing. The car is scheduled to go on sale next February as a 2009 model, but Lutz did say GM views the Camaro as better equipped than the Mustang, and the price will be higher.

The Mustang V-6 coupe has a base price of $20,235. The V-8 GT coupe begins at $26,825. Both prices include shipping.

" We are going to be above Mustang," Lutz said. " We have a very sophisticated suspension system and, frankly, a much nicer interior. We are not going to try and match the Mustang on price. We are going to be premium-priced compared to the Mustang."
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

I just saw this picture....Looks good, can't wait to see her fully decked out.

Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

We are going to be premium-priced compared to the Mustang."
      Well...that sucks...

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
      '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
      Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by bru333
        Well...that sucks...
        As soon as I read that I said "uh oh". Here we go...... taking it beyond the reach of the core enthusiast and play for the higher profit customers.

Comment

Back to plan A for me...3rd or 4th gen with a built engine...

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
          '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
          Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Maybe I read it wrong, but I'm a bit confused. Does that mean that the 2.0 could be in the Camaro instead of the V6? Or is that a possibility for a 3rd engine option?
            94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

My wife loves the new Camaro. I would consider the 2.0 turbo option. Anyone know the car's approximate weight?
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Oh Boy I am so happy I could just Sh*T.Well I will just sit back a watch. An in the long run, keep the car i love that has done me well an slap in a new engine.
                Blazer

Comment

Sounds like both the Camaro and Challenger are going to be in the upper echelon pricing compared with the Mustang.

Here's the main problem with that...

For the price of a new Camaro, you can find yourself a well equipped, low miles C5 Vette. I realize the new Camaro has that head turning factor because it's something a bit different.... For now.

By the time we start seeing 5th gens with some regularity (sooner than later), low mile C6 Vettes will be in competition for buyers. I've got to be honest. That's not much competition. I'd buy the Vette.

We can say what we will about Ford and how the Mustang still hasn't caught up to the 4th gen F-bodies in HP... But they did it right with the Mustang. GM might be missing the boat here. I hope not.
                  SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                  Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

it is confusing... i read somewhere ....do away with the v6 and use my motor...the inline direct injected turbo...

i even read that down the line, a twin turbo v6 might be inline to replace the v8... but now now... seems i recall a certain Buick a while back that had one, and it blew the doors off just about any v8 American production car out there, running 12's right off the delivery truck...

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

The V8 should still be there, so the good news is that there could be 3 engine levels. The question seems to be will the lower level be the turbo Ecotec or a lower end V6 with similar power to the 3800.
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
                        seems i recall a certain Buick a while back that had one, and it blew the doors off just about any v8 American production car out there, running 12's right off the delivery truck...
                        And an example of that jem is stored safely in my garage. I am a real fan of a turbos. As long as you use synthetic oil plus a turbo saver and common sense, the power and longevity is great. As long as you keep your foot out of the throttle, fuel economy is reasonable.

Comment

The idea of putting a 300 hp V-6 in the new Camaro sounds like a bad idea. The majority of mustangs you see on the road are V-6, w/o all of the loaded options. Its their strongest selling point. The Camaro V-6 should get some decent power but nothing to kill mpgs. The car is going to have to sell, Gm and other US auto manufactures already claimed they will have net losses again. Another thing to think about is all of us LT1 and LS1 guys with around 300 hp and 305 hp stock (LS1), we don't want a bunch of bolt on V-6's running around spanking us!
                          1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Looks cool. Turbo 4 would make a nice fore-aft weight balance, don't you think?
                            1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
                            2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
                            1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

Originally posted by blackthunder50
                              The idea of putting a 300 hp V-6 in the new Camaro sounds like a bad idea. The majority of mustangs you see on the road are V-6, w/o all of the loaded options. Its their strongest selling point. The Camaro V-6 should get some decent power but nothing to kill mpgs. The car is going to have to sell, Gm and other US auto manufactures already claimed they will have net losses again. Another thing to think about is all of us LT1 and LS1 guys with around 300 hp and 305 hp stock (LS1), we don't want a bunch of bolt on V-6's running around spanking us!
                              they wont be spanking you..you out torque them......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                              X