Pondering a move to VA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pondering a move to VA

Well the time has finally come and today at an educational job fair I was offered a teaching position with a starting salary of $40K. It ain't bad for only 9.5 months of work. Right now I live in western PA (Pittsburgh) where this area is sadly dying. In Allegheny County we have the oldest population second to only some county in Florida. There is no growth here but down there it's booming. Chances are if I stick around here I could get a job in a few years but right now I nailed the interview and might go down for a visit. The area is near Powhatan. So do any of you VA guys have an opinion about the area? Hows the cost of living? Your help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Josh

2002 Firehawk Sold

Don't know anything about VA but as far as cost of living goes start here:
    Salary Comparison
    (There are many sites with these types of calculators, google 'salary comparison')
    You put in what you make now, where you live and where you're thinking about relocating to and it will tell you what salary you need to be making to maintain the same standard of living. It also tells you how much more or less food, housing etc. will cost.
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Wow, i just compared wilmington, DE to San Diego, CA and the cost difference is crazy. I would need to make another $11,000 a year to stay on track. The housing is 127% more expensive then here

Sorry for the highjack
      2006 Saturn Ion Redline
      2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

From my drives around Richmond, I'd say that out near Powhatan it starts to get a bit country.

I can't comment too much on that area, but I've lived in Hampton Roads, Blacksburg, and now near D.C.. If you're into the outdoors, Virginia has a lot to offer. Williamsburg is a great place to relax. A weekend football trip to Blacksburg is a blast. Annapolis is also a good day trip from Richmond. If you're into history, there are a lot of places to visit.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Ouch, I compared VA to Here in Los Angels, CA. Housing is 181% more. DAMN I need to get the hell out of LA!
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

you do know that if you get pulled over for speeding in VA you get fined 10 billion dollars and spend 3 years in jail right?
            97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
              Wow, i just compared wilmington, DE to San Diego, CA and the cost difference is crazy. I would need to make another $11,000 a year to stay on track. The housing is 127% more expensive then here Sorry for the highjack.
              Originally posted by ConElite
              Ouch, I compared VA to Here in Los Angels, CA. Housing is 181% more. DAMN I need to get the hell out of LA!
              That's not bad...I'd need to make $40K more to live in LA or SD vs here in S Texas. $11K more in VA.

Those sites are fun to play around with...
              My DD
              2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Salary in Pittsburgh PA:
                $40,000
                Comparable salary in Richmond VA:
                $45,256.14
                For someone who is single and debt free it isn't that bad. Just gotta solve the girlfriend thing...

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

We used to live in Midlothian and had a horse boarded out in Powhatan. As said, it's country side. Not too many stores around but not too far from the city depending on where you would live.

I'm looking into a job in Richmond right now. Our house at the time in 97 we sold it for 150k. These days it would sell for 300k at least. The market is like many other places in a slump so you can get some good deals.
                  97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Forgot to mention, I believe they still tax your vehicles like a property tax on a yearly basis. although I think they lowered the amount since we have been there.
                    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

All this talk about moving.... I'm flying out to Phoenix, AZ on Tuesday for a job interview myself. I might transfer departments and work for Phoenix PD.
                      Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

im in the military (honor guard at that) and live right outside D.C and cant stand this place. for women (i'm single) they are either ugly or think they are the greatest thing that walked this earth. money wise im not really sure ya know my pay changes due to the area so for me its fine. you can find apartments and what not around here for 850-1200 a month dependin on size and area. roads are terrible. cops are very strict on speeding DUI and all. even if you really werent that bad you get no pitty at all or leeway in the courts. (understanable though) all in all i would stay in PA my parents ( and where i grew up) are about 30 minutes from Lancaster and i cruise around university of delware every weekend i go home which is pretty darn often and i love it wouldnt change it for a thing im going back there after the military ordeal. hopefully i helped you out a little bit
                        94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
                        94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                        75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                        1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
                        GOT PSi?
                        Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                          you do know that if you get pulled over for speeding in VA you get fined 10 billion dollars and spend 3 years in jail right?
                          thats all been killed now. off the books.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
                            thats all been killed now. off the books.
                            Yeah I just read that today.
                            97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                              Forgot to mention, I believe they still tax your vehicles like a property tax on a yearly basis. although I think they lowered the amount since we have been there.
                              its by county...

and its not just vehicles, its anything you have to register: boats, jet ski's, yadda yadda... pay to play.

its going to depend what part of VA. if it Norther Va... the cost of living is terrible, the traffic is a nightmare from h#ll, and the people are a "me first" society all the way...... i hate it.. good thing i can get away after work to a little bit of the country. im 50 miles from my office...

cant wait to retire and get the heck outta here.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                              X