what do you know about the year you were born

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you know about the year you were born

(i know fred will have fun with this one too...LOL)

me:

cost of living:

new house - 6,650.00
    av. income - 2,854.00
    new car - 1,290.00
    rent - 68.00 per month
    movie ticket - .55
    gasoline - 15 cents per gallon
    stamp - 3 cents

eggs - 23 cents a dozen
    hamburger - 42 cents a pound
    bread - 13 cents a loaf
    milk - 78 cents per gallon

who was born in the same year?

Arnold Swarzenegger
    David Bowie
    Steven Spielberg
    Billy Crystal
    Elton John
    David Letterman
    Richard Dreyfuss
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Music:

Chi-Baba Chi-Baba by Perry Como

Mam'selle by Frank Sinatra

Open the Door, Richard by Count Basie

Movies:

Dark Passage
    Miracle on 34th Street
    The Bishops Wife
    The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

National News:

Everglade National Park is established
    Congress passes the Taft-Hartley Acto over Trumans Veto.

Word news:

The French break off talks with HO Chi Minh in Vietnam
    U.S. gives up the peace effort in China
    The first Dead Sea scrolls are discovered..

Life expectancy: 62.9 years.

so..thats the year I was born... you youngins that keep whinnin about "im gittin old"..... compare these stats......

then realize....you aint so old after all........

LOL

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

about time to give up... you've almost reached your expiration date
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

Comment

you forgot invention of the wheel, wolf

j/k, you know you're my favorite old guy.

I know the tigers won the world series for me.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I'll chime in...

The cold war continued to worsen with the USSR exploding some very large bombs during testing and then masterminding the building of the Berlin Wall separating East from West Berlin, America sent a battle group to Germany and Americans and Russians Glared at each other across the border, due to this uncertainty many Americans built backyard fallout shelters incase of nuclear war. To make matters worse the Americans financed anti-Castro Cubans for an invasion at the bay of pigs which was an unmitigated disaster. The Soviets put the first man in space in April Yuri Gagarin followed by the US in May with Alan Shepard. popular music included Chubby Checkers "The Twist" and top movies included "West Side Story" and "The Parent Trap" .

Cost of Living

Yearly Inflation Rate USA 1.07%
        Yearly Inflation Rate UK 2.9%
        Average Cost of new house $12,500.00
        Average Income per year $5,315.00
        Cost of a gallon of Gas 27 cents
        Average Cost of a new car $2,850.00
        Bacon for 1LB 67 cents
        Eggs per dozen 30 cents
        Below are some Prices for UK guides in Pounds Stirling

Average House Price 2,770

Fidel Castro declares Cuba is to adopt Communism

US Cuban Exiles and CIA mount unsuccessful attempt to overthrow Castro ( Bay of Pigs )

John F. Kennedy inaugurated as President of the United States

President John F. Kennedy advises American families to build bomb shelters

The Peace Corps is established John F. Kennedy

President Kennedy asks Congress for $531 million to put a man on the moon

Race Riots in Cities throughout the United States

Britain applies for membership of the EEC

Segregation on railways in the south ends

Construction of the Berlin Wall begins.

East German Authorities close the border between east and west Berlin

UN General Assembly condemns Apertheid

Estimate of the Worlds Population reaches 4 billion

Farthings no longer legal tender in Britain

Last Journey of The Orient Express Paris - Bucharest

Amnesty International Started in United Kingdom

Members of The UK Portland Spy Ring are found guilty of selling plans of the HMS Dreadnought, Britain's first nuclear submarine to the Russians

The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) started

Popular Culture
        The farthing coin, used since the 13th century, ceases to be legal tender in the United Kingdom.
        British satirical magazine Private Eye is published for first time
        The Jerk , the Frug , the Pony become popular dances
        Black and white 5 pound notes cease to be a legal tender in the UK
        Popular Films

The Guns of Navarone
        The Parent Trap
        The Absent-Minded Professor
        The Alamo
        Swiss Family Robinson
        101 Dalmatians
        Breakfast at Tiffany's
        El Cid
        West Side Story
        Popular TV

Mister Ed
        The Avengers

Yuri Gagarin is the first human in space.

The First inflight movie is shown on TWA

The First electric toothbrush is produced Squibb Co.

Alan Shepard makes first US Space Flight

Niagra Falls starts producing hydroelectric power

The first quasar is discovered by Allan Sandage at Mt Palomar, California

IBM introduces the Selectric typewriter Golfball
        2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
        1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
        2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

were do you guys find this stuff

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
          2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Gee, I don't remember much, I was sorta young- Without going into the Internet and researching, the stuff I can pretty much recall-

We were a couple years into Dwight Eisenhower's first term- the guy that is credited with creating the phrase "the military industrial complex" in a warning speech when he was leaving- Not sure how much was going on in Korea, yet, though my dad was probably sweating bullets- he was Navy reserve, and probably worried about being called up-

Gas was around 23 cents a gallon, and large candy bars were a nickel- there was plenty of penny candy, and even two for a penny- malted milk balls, root beer barrels- I could hurt myself, really, for a quarter-

School lunches were about 25 cents, and an extra milk was another nickel- We used to do the air raid drills, getting under the desk- I wasn't too interested in cars, yet, and lots of the 50's cars were still 6 volt systems-

Pop tops not invented yet, needed a 'church key' can opener- most vending machines were bottles, anyway, cokes for dime. I think pay phones were still a nickel for a local call- Bottle deposits- 2 cents for a regular bottle, 5 cents for a quart bottle. I would walk along the ditches and fill my wagon with littered bottles, they go cash them in for 25 or 35 cents and stock up on candy!

No color tv, yet-- black and white, and they went off the air at like 12:00 AM, came on at about 6:00 AM- used to run the national anthem and show a flag. Anybody else remember the test patterns? Saturday morning was my time for TV, cartoons- the only time they were on until the Flintstones started up in prime time, Friday nights-

I am at a dangerous age- old enough to have seen much, and young enough to still remember!
            2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
            "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Plans to build the New York World Trade Center are announced.

The Rolling Stones release their debut album, The Rolling Stones

The Beatles appear on The Ed Sullivan Show, marking their first live performance on American television.

First Moog synthesizer designed by Robert Moog.

The Good Friday Earthquake, the most powerful earthquake in U.S. history at a magnitude of 9.2, strikes South Central Alaska, killing 125 people and inflicting massive damage to the city of Anchorage, Alaska.

A Dallas, Texas jury finds Jack Ruby guilty of killing John F. Kennedy assassin Lee Harvey Oswald.

U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson announces that the United States has developed a jet airplane (the A-11), capable of sustained flight at more than 2,000 miles per hour and of altitudes of more than 70,000 feet.

Teamsters President Jimmy Hoffa is convicted by a Federal jury of tampering with a Federal jury in 1962.

The first Ford Mustang rolls off the assembly line at Ford Motor Company.

Former United States President Herbert Hoover dies in New York City.

U.S. presidential election, Incumbent U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson defeats Republican challenger Barry Goldwater with over 60 percent of the popular vote.

Berkeley Free Speech Movement: Police arrest over 800 students at the University of California, Berkeley, following their takeover and massive sit-in at the administration building, protesting the U.C. Regents' decision to forbid Vietnam War protests on U.C. property.

United States Surgeon General Luther Leonidas Terry reports that smoking may be hazardous to one's health (the first such statement from the U.S. government).

Comment

Looks like Gary already posted everything I could have, and a few I had no idea about.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
                '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
                Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
                  Gee, I don't remember much, I was sorta young- Without going into the Internet and researching, the stuff I can pretty much recall-

We were a couple years into Dwight Eisenhower's first term- the guy that is credited with creating the phrase "the military industrial complex" in a warning speech when he was leaving- Not sure how much was going on in Korea, yet, though my dad was probably sweating bullets- he was Navy reserve, and probably worried about being called up-

Gas was around 23 cents a gallon, and large candy bars were a nickel- there was plenty of penny candy, and even two for a penny- malted milk balls, root beer barrels- I could hurt myself, really, for a quarter-

School lunches were about 25 cents, and an extra milk was another nickel- We used to do the air raid drills, getting under the desk- I wasn't too interested in cars, yet, and lots of the 50's cars were still 6 volt systems-

Pop tops not invented yet, needed a 'church key' can opener- most vending machines were bottles, anyway, cokes for dime. I think pay phones were still a nickel for a local call- Bottle deposits- 2 cents for a regular bottle, 5 cents for a quart bottle. I would walk along the ditches and fill my wagon with littered bottles, they go cash them in for 25 or 35 cents and stock up on candy!

No color tv, yet-- black and white, and they went off the air at like 12:00 AM, came on at about 6:00 AM- used to run the national anthem and show a flag. Anybody else remember the test patterns? Saturday morning was my time for TV, cartoons- the only time they were on until the Flintstones started up in prime time, Friday nights-

I am at a dangerous age- old enough to have seen much, and young enough to still remember!

so...your 47..... the year i was born....LOL

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
                    about time to give up... you've almost reached your expiration date
                    thats the life expectancy for people that lived and was an adult in that year... not born that year..... dillweed!

Comment

Ronald Reagan was sworn into office and had his first inaugural address on the day I was born. The Raiders won the Super Bowl 5 days later...yuck, the Raiders.
                      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

As part of the old timer crowd here's what was happening when I was born.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt is president of the US
                        The Battle of the Midway begins, marketing the first major defeat for the Japanese
                        Fire at the Coconut Grove nightclub in Boston kills 491
                        Forced detention of 110,000 Japanese Americans on the West Coast begins
                        German General Rommel is defeated at the Battle of El Alamein
                        Pan American Airlines becomes the first commercial airline to have a flight go around the world
                        Stephen Hawking, Muhammad Ali, Tammy Faye Bakker, Martin Scorsese, and Jimi Hendrix born
                        St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series
                        Washington Redskins win the NFL championships
                        Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup

and some other stuff:

Average Cost of new house $3,770.00
                        Average wages per year $1,880.00
                        Cost of a gallon of Gas 15 cents
                        Average Cost for house rent $35.00 per month
                        Bottle Coca Cola 5 cents
                        Average Price for a new car $920.00

War Bonds introduced raising $13 billion
                        Cyclone in Bengal Bangladesh kills 61,000
                        Voice of America begins broadcasting
                        Car Makers switch from making cars to making War Materials
                        26 countries agree to create the United nations
                        World War II
                        Singapore Surrenders to the Japanese
                        Norway under German Occupation is ruled by Vidkun Quisling,
                        The K9 corps begins training dogs for use in warfare
                        In Allied countries around the world government war efforts encourage the population to help by giving scrap metal as much needed raw materials for guns and tanks
                        US Gas Rationing goes into effect 3 gallons per week
                        Executive Order 9066 is signed into law which authorized the physical removal of all Japanese Americans into internment camps
                        The Mediterranean island of Malta is awarded the George Cross Medal for Bravery

Popular Culture
                        Popular Films

Road to Morocco, starring Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Dorothy Lamour
                        Casablanca
                        Bambi
                        Mrs. Miniver
                        Yankee Doodle Dandy
                        Holiday Inn
                        Popular Musicians

" White Christmas " Bing Crosby
                        " Deep in the heart of Texas " by Alvino Ray

Technology
                        Worlds first Nuclear Reactor Built in Chicago
                        Manhattan Project Started
                        Instant Coffee Introduced

Inventions Invented by Inventors and Country ( or attributed to First Use )
                        Atomic Power USA by Enrico Fermi's team creating first self-sustaining chain reaction
                        Napalm USA from Harvard University
                        Guided Missile Germany by Werner von Braun
                        2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
                          thats the life expectancy for people that lived and was an adult in that year... not born that year..... dillweed!
                          you must of known I knew that
                          Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                          Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                          pics and info

Comment

So, this was (just a little bit) before my time- when did FDR die, and Harry S Truman take the reins? I know he was the guy that had to make the decision to drop the A-bomb on Hiroshima. I know in his election that the press thought he lost, I have seen photos of him standing next to newspapers proclaiming the "DEWEY WINS!"
                            I didn't check in until 1954, apparently putting me in the middle of the pack in this group- Maybe we should change the name to the 'old guys car club....'
                            2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                            "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

I was born in 1970, widely regarded as the peak of the original musclecar era, which is about all I know of the year. Unfortunantly I was much to young to buy a 450 HP big block Chevelle SS, GTO Judge, Hemi Cuda or Challenger, or a Boss 429 Mustang. If only my parents put one of the fore-mentioned vehicles away for me. If they did, I haven't found it yet. If it's any consolation, I guess my 97 SS is better on gas.

Comment

Working...
                              X