No announcement yet.

Life Changing Day **long and disheartening**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young people are always surprised to see something like that for the first time, but its just a matter of time before you see some bad wreck on the road.

I see the sport bikers threading through traffic riding like asses all the time - I've seen them wreck, too, one guy piled up his crate into a toll booth. They are more of a younger crowd and more reckless with speed and stunting. That's why their insurance is almost unaffordable.

Like about 10% of Harley riders even wear helmets. They do ride slower because they are older riders, and their bikes are built for cruising, but if they crash, they are going to wish they had their brain bucket on. I don't know how mature they really are since they are so concerned about their image that they don't want to wear a helmet or leather on a hot day. It's nothing that I haven't done on occasion, but I dont make a habit out of it.

I've seen a Gold Wing crash with two people on it because the rear tire went on the interstate and the driver and his butterball went tumbling down the road like a couple of rag dolls. Its a risky way to travel, mostly due to the ignorance of the people driving the cars and trucks - but no sense in making it worse than it already is by riding like an idiot like the younger kids often do. They had their safety equipment on, but maintenance of the bike was probably overlooked, or it may have been too heavily loaded.

It's always too bad when this stuff happens - I agree, but it's not uncommon. I wouldn't consider seeing something like that 'Life Changing' or let it dishearten you in any way. There's to much going on in the world to get freaked out about a bike wreck that you weren't involved in. You'll get over it and chalk it up to life experience.

Comment

Think of it this way zebragirl,

It prompted you to come here, post your experience and remind ALL of us that we need to pay attention on the road not only for ourselves but for everyone else who isn't.

By doing that it means you learned something and passed that knowledge on.

It's hard to say something "good" came out of that situation but at least something positive did.

Thanks for the reminder.
      My DD
      2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Kevin, You might not consider it life changing... but I would call that your opinion... which you're entitled to... but the life changing part for me was the timing of it all and how easily it could have been us involved. I'm not too "young" to realize that things happen in the world... but #1 what kind of human would I be if it didn't effect me at all, there are things in life that are meant to make a difference... one shouldn't be unchanged by their experiences and #2 if everyone adopted the "it happens all the time" attitude and were completely desesitized to someone losing their life right in front of them then we live in a sad, robotic world. I just felt it was important to remind everyone to be safe... That was really my only point...
        And also... the other people in the car are in their 50s and it "surprised" them too... so it isn't just young people that are surprised by a motorcycle accident killing someone on the interstate right after they went around you doing the crap that killed them... you have to admit that it's not very often you have to see someone's mistake catch up to them... that's the surprising part... not the fact that it happens...
        '07 Black Tahoe LTZ (my new baby)

'96 White Firebird (sold )

Comment

Well, for what it is worth. I rode my bike into work today. It is 53 miles one way for me to get to work. I had this thread on my mind. I am a very careful rider (in fact, I assume that every car near me will hit me) but still, the risk is always there.

Just like going to track days or racing, I know the risks. I don't ignore them, in fact I respect them, but I have to live. I will not just exist to avoid risk, but you have to be smart too!

This person made their own choices and they paid the price. I am sorry you had to witness it, but remember it was his choice and not yours. Hopefully you can move past this.

Comment

Working...
          X