Magic Jack Phone Service

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Jack Phone Service

I noticed this for the first time a few weeks back on an infomercial like commercial. If you're not familiar with it, it's a box you plug into a USB port on your computer. You plug your phone line into the other end. It assigns you a phone number and...voila...phone service for no monthly fee. The box is smaller than my cell phone and it costs $40+shipping.

I figured it was a gimmick and too good to be true, but after reading some reviews I decided to give it a shot anyway. I figured I might replace my Vonage plan and keep cell phone plan down. Every penny counts, right?

Well, I have to tell you all that it does work as advertised. Hopefully the company holds up in the long term because this is mighty cool. Second year is $20.

I have Vista and it works just fine. The only drawback is keeping your computer on and the software running. The program pops up for incoming and outgoing calls and displays some advertising in a pane within the program.

Install was easy...plug it in, give it a couple minutes to install software, and you should be good to go!

If you're looking for some very cheap basic phone service with e911, caller ID, voicemail, call forwarding, & free long distance, take a look. It's perfect if you have a wireless phone with satellite units. Maybe you can save a few bucks a month for gas money!
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Where did you get it. I like what I have but I know others that may want it.
    Blazer

Comment

You are the third person in the past week that has said something about this new machine/program...It sounds like a great deal...I might have to look into it.
      Greg W. in West Michigan
      1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
      1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
      1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
      1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
      1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
      <Motor out

Comment

I'm sure there are retailers out there, but you can go to www.magicjack.com. They have a 30 day trial, but I don't think refund shipping. There's a good FAQ there to answer specific questions.

I don't want to look like I'm hyping it too much, but if it can save some money it's worth trying.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I am definitely looking into this. I have Comcast VOIP service. It works well, but if this is equal in voice quality, free is a better price.

Thanks for posting this, Joe!
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Aren't you screwed if your internet goes down?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by '94 White Devil
              Aren't you screwed if your internet goes down?
              Yup...I have my cell phone if I really need it. Otherwise, it's off to the pay phone at the corner to make a call.

It's not without it's drawbacks. Vonage or any other VOIP has the same disadvantages.

It's all about what you can live with...or without.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

A friend of mine has been on it for several months and he loves it. I just got mine but haven't hooked it up yet. Definetly worth $40. How can you go wrong?

96 TA Sold!
                87 TA Sold!
                80 Z28 Sold!
                74 Formula Sold!
                73 Z28 Sold!
                69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

My internet comes off the phone line.....no benefit for me. I would have to switch off the phone, get cable internet, yada yada.

Comment

What is the delays in the call and is there any quality issues based on bandwidth required? I know my Vonage line has delays and I have Timewarner broadband service.. Thanks
                    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary94Formula
                      What is the delays in the call and is there any quality issues based on bandwidth required? I know my Vonage line has delays and I have Timewarner broadband service.. Thanks
                      According to their FAQ a minimum bandwith speed of 128 kb/s is required. Oddly enough, one other question states that it will work with 80kb/s "lite broadband" service.

There were some slight delays I noticed when calling my cell phone, but nothing like you'd find calling overseas. The quality seems fine. Actually, I read a number of reviews on this stating that the quality is better than most VOIP services. I don't have much to compare it to. It seems on par with Vonage, but I'm no audiophile. I was able to send a fax successfully.
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Thanks... I'll have to check it out..
                        2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                        1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                        2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Yeah Im thinking about this. My intentions would be for a fax line. I have 3, well for computers in my home right now so there is always one on.I wonder how long the company will stay running. something seems wrong about it. but worth a shoot.
                          Eddie
                          2000 M6 Trans Am
                          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                          X