X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tilt..............

http://www.motorists.org/blog/techno...aro-is-doomed/

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

There are some valid points, but I think Eric Peters is a doom and gloom journalist.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/federa.../?id=110008543

Same story, just for some different reasons.

Comment

I have been ranting about this for, literally, a couple years- once again, it is 1964 all over again- Ford is selling 'em, and GM is offering promises and excuses- "it will be worth the wait"- Well, maybe, but by then the dance will probably be over-

Value: When first announced, the price was low, low enough to compete directly with the mustang- now the tune has changed to more performance, more content, and, more money- you have just walked away from, or priced yourself out of a significant part of the market.

Even when GM WAS selling the Camaro, more than half were V-6's- yes, you need a performance model for the car guys to drool over, but a big chunk of what sells is the cheaper model that is trying to trade on the super car's appeal. The original mustang was just a falcon with a pretty cover-

I haven't looked, but I would love to see the figures on how many V-6 mustangs are sold compared to the up-market models- GM needs to bring the new car in cheaply, so young guys with new families can afford it, then start to offer the performance models once production costs are amortized-

Eh, what do I know? I am the conusmer for 40 years that GM doesn't build for any more- when my 7-year old 2001 is worn out, maybe I will get a G8- or a Ford- I want V-8, RWD, a usable trunk- 4 doors is a bonus, as is a full frame- I have owned Buicks, Impalas, Olds 98's, Caprices, and at least one full-sized Chrysler, as well as a slew of Dodge, Ford and Chevy trucks- there is hardly a car on the GM lot I would look twice at, any more, and, based on how their market share is slipping, I don't think I am alone- too bad, because GM engineers sure can build 'em- too bad sales or management can't figure out how to build what the public wants, and needs-
      2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
      "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Ford markets the mustang as a disposable sporty car to younger people as well as the lease/rental market. GM wants to market their car to the performance minded. Guess which one sells more.

Comment

I fully agree with both posts. I grew up a GM buyer... Almost blindly willing to buy whatever the General said I needed. For the most part, I was happy with the product. Unfortunately, it's not the case anymore. Numbers just don't lie.

Joe made a thread (which he just bumped recently) back in 2005 about rising gas prices. At that time, GM was in full "build as many SUV's as we can" mode. Sure... They were working on the E85 project as well, but the SUV's were their bread and butter. Demand dried up and Chevy lots are full of Tahoes, Suburbans, and Trailblazers.

The same kind of vision (or lack there of) can be said for the new Camaro. Poor planning and a step too late.
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Scary.......The dealer in thousand oaks said they have 15 pre orders in for the camaro already. $5000 deposit please.
            2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              Ford markets the mustang as a disposable sporty car to younger people as well as the lease/rental market. GM wants to market their car to the performance minded. Guess which one sells more.
              I am not telling GM how to run their game plan, and they wouldn't listen to me anyways, but isn't the 'Vette the performance flagship? There are now several variants available, at differing price points, though of them are inexpensive, they certainly offer value in the MPH/dollars spent category.

They should concentrate on a cheap, affordable Camaro, V-6 or turbo 4 that gets the requisite mileage numbers, and then offer the 'super, duper' models for older guys that can afford them, and the gas guzzler tax, too. If you are buying a $40 k performance car, you probably don't worry much about MPG's.

People will see the hot model, magazines will test it, and GM would have their performance image, while still building a car that would sell in profitable numbers- eh, what do I know?
              2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
              "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Working...
              X