An Eternal Necessity: The Case for Nuclear Energy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Eternal Necessity: The Case for Nuclear Energy

Attached is a research paper that i wrote for my English 1A class. I am very proud of it . give me your honest feedback

ENJOY!
    Attached Files
    -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Well done...
    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Apparently you have a very well timed paper.

Check out the current issue of WIRED magazine.

http://www.wired.com/wired/
      My DD
      2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

In general, I agree with your conclusions, but would suggest not relying so heavily upon Bernie Cohen. Mind you, I think he's right, but you could cite broader sources to support your thesis.

As for the availability of fissionable material for use in reactors, here you (we) are on shakier ground.

While there may be lots of uranium in the earth's crust, it is very dispersed and not cost-effective to collect. (For example, the same applies to gold. There may be an enormous amount of gold dissolved in one cubic mile of seawater, but it would be far more costly to extract than the gold is worth.)

Most uranium is U-238, a hard-to-fission isotope. Fissionable uranium (U-235) is much less abundant and the supply is limited. Breeder reactors could use fissionable U-235 to convert less-fissionable U-238 into one of the very fissionable isotopes of plutonium. Unfortunately, our Congress has seen fit to outlaw breeder reactors.

Of course, we could use one of the fissionable isotopes of thorium, though that would be more expensive.

As with oil, natural gas, hydroelectric and geothermal, we have met the enemy and it is the Congress.

If only farmers could grow uranium so that politicians might pander to them, we might have a chance . . .
        R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington
          In general, I agree with your conclusions, but would suggest not relying so heavily upon Bernie Cohen. Mind you, I think he's right, but you could cite broader sources to support your thesis..
          i realized i quoted his work very much, but i picked up three books--one actually written by Cohen. The other two had various authors and as i read through them, the most convincing points were made by(...Surprisingly) ....COHEN!!!! haha

PS thank you all for the feed*forward
          -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
          2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

If only farmers could grow uranium so that politicians might pander to them, we might have a chance . . .
            Congress would pay them NOT to grow it...

Nice work on the paper!
            Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

This country was well on it's way to building nuclear power when Three Mile Island scared everybody. That really put the brakes on many projects. Also, I don't think that there has ever been a neclear power plant built that didn't have massive cost over-runs-

The standards and inspections are very strict, as they should be. But this drives up the cost. However, I think we should be building these things like crazy, and I can give several good reasons:

-Construction jobs, for Americans- well paying ones, too
              -Work for Westinghouse, General Electric, building steam turbines- more high-paying manufacturing jobs-
              -decrease dependence on foreign oil and the swings in the marketplace

You are dealing with people's irrational fears of something that you can't see, feel or taste- radiation, but, at some point, when gas reaches, what, 5 or 6 dollars a gallon, we are going to have to get going on this-

Even nuclear is really an interm solution, until we have the technology to harness fusion- just think, no radioactive chemicals, no waste, and a whole ocean full of hydrogen- we just need a way to contain and control the reaction-
              2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
              "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
                we just need a way to contain and control the reaction-
                Good thinkin...I'll get right on that.

Seriously though, great read.
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                <Motor out

Comment

I haven't read your paper yet but I plan to when I have more time. I just dropped in to say I work at Three mile Island so I'm really get a kick out of these replies....
                  Dave M
                  Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

That was a pretty good paper. Working at a nuclear power plant, I'm always glad to see people out there championing the cause. I don't know the requirements of your assignment, but there is a lot more detail about nuclear plants you could have gone into. For instance, you cite multiple safety layers and use the thick concrete containments as an example. The concrete containment is a last line of defense. If we have to rely on it, we've already failed. Each system has a backup, and each backup has a back up. There is at least triple redundency on all safety systems in a nuclear plant. I could go on and on, and I will if anyone is curious, but right now I'm out of time and have to go.
                    Dave M
                    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

There's an excellent article regarding nuclear energy in the current issue of National Review.
                      R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Working...
                      X