the scariest vet emergency in my life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the scariest vet emergency in my life

last night, as I have done for years, I was out back throwing the different types of balls we have, most of which are the hard rubber type, for Reno, Rocky, and Shelby, our golden retrievers... of course, Keona gets in the act by stealing them now and then and running away with them making the goldens chase her...

Rocky and Reno have a new "game" they play, if they get the chance to get to the other ones ball while they have theirs.. they pick it up also (because of the size its barely in their mouth) and tease eachother by walking around hording both toys and growling but wagging the tail.....

Im sitting there in my plastic lawn chair when i see Rocky, who had a ball in his mouth...get Reno's ball...but he was having a hard time picking it up........... then he began to make weird head motions... i leaped out of the chair to realize the greatest fear...his ball had gone down his throat... it was lodged so far down i could not get to it...... i screamed for mary to get her keys.....

i carried him to the Envoy... and she hauled ass to the vet... i got the dogs at home put away, locked the house and rushed up there.

by the time she got there, he was making wheezing noises and foam had filled his mouth....

he was on the emergency table and we were not allowed in. they kept giving us updates. at one point, they lost him for a few seconds, his heart rate was 40 (normal dog is 120 -135).... he was turning gray. the vet was able to puncture the ball with a scapel and remove it just in time...to open his airway fully... they had him pumped with steroids and on an IV. he made it. heart rate came back to normal and breathing was normal.

we stayed there for an hour... then, to be on the safe side, they had us transport him to an emergency 24 vet clinic to stay the night for observation in case something came up...ie: throat swelled shut, etc.

we just called, he did great, ate two meals already, and is coming home this morning..we are going at 9:30 to pick him up.

word to the wise.... we take so much for granted.. the ball that got lodged was very hard rubber but hollow... it was just squishy enough that when he was trying to force his mouth around Renos toy ball...it pushed it hard enough to compress it and as it passed through the opening behind his toungue, it "popped" back out, propelling it down farther in his throat.

i have thrown all the balls away in the back yard now except the large kongs and solid rubber ones that are way to big to fit down a throat..

thank God..............thats all I can say. We were sooooooo lucky...

the Vet said had we gotten there 4 min's or so later, Rocky would have been dead.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

A little devine intervention there. glad everything is ok.

Comment

WOW!

I am glad that everything is ok with him. We learn something new everyday. I certainly would never have thought something like that could happen. The best thing to remember is to do as you do, keep a close eye on our pets at all times.
      Greg W. in West Michigan
      1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
      1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
      1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
      1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
      1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
      <Motor out

Comment

WHEW! Quick thinking, Ken. That must have been very scary. Unfortuneatly my emergency visit to the vet last week didn't turn out as well.

Animals to some, part of the family to me.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

You just made me throw away all my tennis balls.

Glad to hear everything's ok.
          Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

That is scary and I'm glad he's okay. I'm only going to play with the Kong ball with Shea (my Golden). She prefers that one anyway.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

wow im glad to hear that ken. good job on the quick thinking. i know how bad it sucks to lose a close animal which is like a family member. luckily you got yours their in time congrats!!!
              94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
              94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
              75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
              1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
              GOT PSi?
              Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

I could tell what was going to happen by the first sentence..."different types of balls".

Thanks to your quick thinking Ken...Rocky is still with us.

Talking about a scary story.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Thank goodness everything tourned out OK..
                  2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                  1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                  2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                  2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                  2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

thanks...he's home now. took him out to potty.. dogs are smart..he b lined straight to where it happened and smelled the area. gave me chills. he's truly named properly..ROCKY......fits him to a T!

Thank God............

i know how it happened now for sure... he had worked the first ball to the back of his mouth instead of side..cause he was plunging on the ground for the second... the ball compressed enough to "launch" itself into his throat.

taso..good move.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                      You just made me throw away all my tennis balls.

Glad to hear everything's ok.
                      Same here.
                      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

:eek2: Glad Rocky made it . Guess I'll throw 'em out! Your quick action saved his life! I take it you were close to the vet and I bet that helped out as well.

Ace likes to play with tennis balls but only rarely and it usually involves me. Luckily his past time is watching out the window and guarding the cars
                        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                        pics and info

Comment

What a story....I'll have to keep this in mind. I did a quick mental inventory of our little Cocker's toys and they should be ok. He loves to chew, and any damaged toy is tossed immediately. He's an awesome guy and I can't imagine losing him.
                          Joe K.
                          '11 BMW 328i
                          '10 Matrix S AWD
                          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
                          X