Picking up a new hobby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking up a new hobby

I have been having an overwhelming urge to pick up music again so I decided on the elec. guitar after talking with my brother. I picked up a Right handed Made in Mexico Fender Standard HSS Stratacaster (FAT Strat) It is black with a Rosewood Fretboard. I mention Right hand as I'm a lefty as is my brother.

Considering I am a blank slate, I wonder how I will probgress. wish me luck
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

As you can tell from my avitar I am partial to the Les Paul.
    3 things,
    1. Learn the major chords. More importantly learn to switch back and forth between them. A, C, D, F, G
    http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/
    2. As boring as they are learn the scales. When you hear somone playing a run where they start low and end high all that is is a scale. Up 3 notes down 1 note, then up 3 down 1 up 3 down 1.
    Start with the C scale at the 0 position.
    http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/gui...2=Get&choice=1
    Then move it up to the 12 position and you look like a pro.
    http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/gui...2=Get&choice=1
    Now at the 12 position play E F G then go down 1 note back to F then G then A then down 1 to G A B A B C B C D C D E D E F well you get it. up 3 down 1 up 3 down 1 bla bla bla
    3. Bar chords are your friend to playing quickly. After a few you get the claw. Your hand cramps and pulls into a deformed claw. LOL
    http://guitarsecrets.com/bar_chords.htm
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Congrats on you endeavor........ playing music is a blast.

Comment

Like Jeff said alot of it is motor function. Practice transitioning between the chords. The usual chord learning progression goes A, G, E minor, D, C, F. Looking back C was a bitch. F is still a bitch I am dealing with. I am a lefty playing a righty guitar and its ok, I can't see there being a difference even if I picked up a lefty. Plus there will be more guitars for you to choose as a righty.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Thanks for the tips and links. From what I've been told was that practicing the chords to ad nauseum will be pretty much it for a while. After getting the chords down then comes the scales.

Funny thing is Ace, my dog, starts to howl on the lower base notes

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
          pics and info

Comment

want me to sing!?

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
              want me to sing!?

NO!!
              Please NO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy_Dan
                NO!!
                Please NO!!!
                You are wise......

besides, it's more like a howl anyway.

Comment

If Ken sings, I will take out my accordian.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                    You are wise......

besides, it's more like a howl anyway.
                    So did Ken teach the wolf dog or the other way around?
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

guitar came in Waiting for my amp as it's on backorder. I have to go buy some books to teach myself now.... starting at the very basics like "those 6 long things are called strings" ...

pics and info

Comment

Learning to read music is much like learning a second language. Reading tablatures (tabs) is much easier and there are many websites that have guitar tabs for many popular songs.

As tabs are a good way for a beginner to learn songs, I would still recommend learning to read music though. Good luck and happy strumming!
                        -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                        2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Well, time to give an update. Had my 4th lesson Tuesday. Started in August. calluses are building. up. Working on Fretwork, Remembering where all the note are on each string, some practice 1234 on each string, then backwards, then move up a fret and repeat till the 12th, then go back down to the 1st fret. Practicing a E pentatonic (open, 3rd then open, 2nd, etc) . Now learning a beat and transitioning between the 7 major chords (Fmaj is a pain for me) . Now it is beginning to sound like music now that I'm on chords. Safe to say I'm liking it more. My instructor recommended some Neil Young books to practice with. Should be getting some chili peppers books in this week safe to say even 30+ year Base players say that playing that is beyond them (Flea)! looks like I have high expectations.

Figure It will take a year if not more. Who needs TV! Gotta laugh @ my dad. He's learning the BAGPIPES.. they take 7 years to get decent! (He got a pair in Edinburgh while we were on vacation)

pics and info

Comment

Hey in a few years ya'll can play "Its A Long Way To The Top" by AC-DC together.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
                              Hey in a few years ya'll can play "Its A Long Way To The Top" by AC-DC together.
                              I thought the same thing!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X