No announcement yet.

Joe's Garage open for business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In driving the fiero for the last couple days has allowed me to remember how nice a fully independant suspension really is. Even though I need new shocks, this tracks so straight over bumps, no solid axle shift present. I wonder how much huge swaybars would help.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      In driving the fiero for the last couple days has allowed me to remember how nice a fully independant suspension really is. Even though I need new shocks, this tracks so straight over bumps, no solid axle shift present. I wonder how much huge swaybars would help.
      Bumps? On Florida roads??

I have to say, the roads in Florida are always in really nice shape... At least the places I've been. Especially when compared to Connecticut. Granted, we have snow plows ripping our roads up all winter, but they aren't too quick to make repairs come spring.
      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I heard it in Joes Garage (for us older types).

Really glad to hear you get back in the saddle after such a terrible ordeal.
        I am sure you perspective on all things has changed.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686

I have to say, the roads in Florida are always in really nice shape... At least the places I've been. Especially when compared to Connecticut. Granted, we have snow plows ripping our roads up all winter, but they aren't too quick to make repairs come spring.
          Some places good, other places are a wreck. The road composition donw here is made with shellrock. Literally crushed sea shells mixed with whatever...... it provides great grip, but wears the tires quickly. It also sags with the weight of semi trucks. They wear twin grooves in the roadways that can really cause a car to pull to either side at random. Pretty funky. Still, the Fiero is a much smoother cruiser type of ride.

My vote for some of the worst roads would be downtown Charleston. You know..... voted one of America's most beautiful cities? They forgot to mention the crappiest roads to offset the beautiful aspect. Simply horrible. They were crappy 30 years ago and nothing has changed.

Comment

the "bumps" are the slow moving elderly..... he'll need a new fascia soon..

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686

i agree with that, the ripped up and re-aligned the road in a few spots that leads up to my house, and 5 years later its almost as bad as be4, and they've patched it 7 times.
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Some places good, other places are a wreck. The road composition donw here is made with shellrock. Literally crushed sea shells mixed with whatever...... it provides great grip, but wears the tires quickly. It also sags with the weight of semi trucks. They wear twin grooves in the roadways that can really cause a car to pull to either side at random. Pretty funky. Still, the Fiero is a much smoother cruiser type of ride.

My vote for some of the worst roads would be downtown Charleston. You know..... voted one of America's most beautiful cities? They forgot to mention the crappiest roads to offset the beautiful aspect. Simply horrible. They were crappy 30 years ago and nothing has changed.
                I did notice the roads on the west coast of Florida were nicer than those on the east coast, but I'm only comparing a few cities. (West coast - Tampa, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Naples... East coast - Jax, Daytona, Miami). Either way, I'll take 'em over most of the roads here.
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

Comment

You mean the two that aren't under construction?
                  Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Glad you're turning wrenches again, Joe- sounds like you are recovering-

I find time puttering on my vehicles is almost theraputic- takes my mind off of other things that bug me, and I can't do anything about- like $4 a gallon gas, or the politics at every level-

It is nice to set a project up in your mind, acquire the parts, set some time aside and git 'er done- Gives you a nice sense of accomplishment, of things being right in the world-

Too bad you couldn't fit the turbo V-6 in the Fiero- that would be a sleeper!
                    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy

Too bad you couldn't fit the turbo V-6 in the Fiero- that would be a sleeper!
                      It does fit. I thought about it several times. What a sleeper that would be. Getting a trans to live is the big problem.

Comment

Welcome back to the jungle...LOL!

Fuel pumps on our cars drag...ever think about the trap door mod? Save yourself hours of labor.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
                          Fuel pumps on our cars drag...ever think about the trap door mod? Save yourself hours of labor.

+1 on that- I have read about it on the Internetz but haven't had to do it, yet- I *think* shoeboxes site has photos and how-to-

This is something Japan, Inc had figured out in the late 70's or early 80's- Why does GM not at least copy a good idea, even if they didn't figure it out (sort of like the Mustang)?

Maybe it is a deal with the car dealers, to make sure they can charge 4 or 5 hours of shop time to replace a hundred dollar part- I wish the engineers that designed these cars actually worked on them, got to change the spark plugs or oil filter with 200 degree oil running down your arm.

>rant mode: off
                          2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                          "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
                            Welcome back to the jungle...LOL!

I've thought about it. I just don't think I want to cut rear floor. Although.... I might want to reconsider that. When the turbo 3.8 goes in place, this pump won't cut it and I'll be taking things apart again.

Comment

I've thought about it. I just don't think I want to cut rear floor. Although.... I might want to reconsider that. When the turbo 3.8 goes in place, this pump won't cut it and I'll be taking things apart again.

YOu could always install that trap door in the floor to gain access to it, and have a clean install... your future aching back will thank you l8r on. We aren't getting younger. Just some insight
                              Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                              Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                              pics and info

Comment

I know how you feel, Joe. I'm not one to cut holes in something that came clean from the factory. However, I looked into it when I had my WS6 because I knew the fuel pump would eventually go.

Something along these lines. Sorry for the pic size...

SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                                17K Miles

Comment

Working...
                                X