X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "safety critical" and affects all vehicles

this is "safety critical" and affects every vehicle
    if you bought tires since august 2006 and got new stems... beware:

WASHINGTON (June 12, 2008) — Tech International Inc., a Johnstown, Ohio-based importer of tire valve stems, is voluntarily recalling 6 million TR413 valve stems made by Chinese firm Shanghai Baolong Industries Co. Ltd. between July and November 2006.

The rubber portion of the valve stems may crack and allow air loss, leading to tire failure, Tech International told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Tech International will replace for free all defective valve stems and also all tires that show any damage related to defective valve stems. However, the company told NHTSA that it doesn’t know the identity of the valves’ end-users and has no way of knowing when any of the valves it sells were made.

As many as 30 million defective Chinese valve stems, and possibly more, could have come into the U.S. beginning in August 2006, according to Sean Kane, president of Safety Research & Strategies Inc., a Rehoboth, Mass.-based auto safety advocacy group with close ties to plaintiffs’ attorneys.

The only way to tell if you have the recalled stems, Mr. Kane said, is to have the tires dismounted and checked inside. If you have cracking around the valve stems, however, you should have your tires checked anyway, he said.

“If you bought tires during this time frame, you really ought to be checking your valve stems,” he said

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

My wife's car has a slow leak in a fairly new tire that they couldn't find so they are blaming it on the tire seperating. I can't see any tire seperation and it rides fine. I have kept an eye on it and it looses about 5 pounds a week. I will go home tonight and see if the valve stem is leeking since they didn't look at the stem. Thanks for the update.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

When will they get it! Chinese=Junk!
      Greg W. in West Michigan
      1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
      1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
      1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
      1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
      1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
      <Motor out

Comment

Hmmm...I bought tires in June or July 2006. I just had a valve stem replaced for leaking too. I love my tire pressure monitoring system...It caught the problem when I was only down 4psi.

Where is one supposed to go to to check this? I suppose the consumer would pay to have the tires taken off the wheels if there's no problem.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 99 Zeee!!
          Hmmm...I bought tires in June or July 2006. I just had a valve stem replaced for leaking too. I love my tire pressure monitoring system...It caught the problem when I was only down 4psi.

Where is one supposed to go to to check this? I suppose the consumer would pay to have the tires taken off the wheels if there's no problem.
          if you have it checked, and its a problem, contact the company recalling the item.

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

Originally posted by FroSSty
            When will they get it! Chinese=Junk!
            1 exception...Lenovo
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

thanx ken, im gonna send this to my old boss cuz we always put new stems in when we mounted tires(be it a snow to summer or new tires)
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Quote:
                Thursday, June 12, 2008

Distributor recalls 6 million Chinese-made tire valve stems

David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON -- A distributor of Chinese-made tire valve stems has agreed to recall 6 million valve stems, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Tech International, a Johnstown, Ohio-based distributor of the Chinese-made parts, announced a recall of 6 million TR413 model valve stems, offering free replacements and to pay for any tire damage caused by the defective part, according to a June 2 letter made public on NHTSA's Web site.

But Tech International doesn't know who actually owns tires with the recalled tire valve stems and said it believes just 8,600 of the stems -- or less than 1 percent -- are defective. The valves are manufactured by Shanghai Baolong Industries Co.

"Tech International does not know the identity of any end-users of the TR413 valves and has no realistic method of determining the identity of such individuals. Furthermore, there is no realistic method for Tech International to identify the production dates of any specific TR413 valves," the company said in its letter to NHTSA.

The distributor will notify tire retailers of the recall.

The Chinese manufacturer conducted tests that showed that no valve stem produced after November 2006 was faulty, Tech International said.

In its recall notice, Tech International said that the stems could crack and tires could gradually lose pressure after they had been in use for more than six months. It said it first received notice of "a small number of potential valve stem failures" from a distributor in January.

Safety advocates on Thursday urged motorists to inspect their valve stems for cracks and to check tire pressure.

"Air loss at highway speeds may result in a tire failure and loss-of-control crash," said Sean Kane, president of Safety Research and Strategies.

He said it was questionable whether Tech's estimate of 8,600 faulty valve stems was accurate.

A lawyer for Tech International didn't return a phone call seeking comment.

In a separate move, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has opened a preliminary investigation into another 30 million Chinese-made "snap-in" tire valve stems in the wake of a Nov. 11 fatal crash. Those valve stems may have come out of the same Chinese factory that made the recalled vales stems distributed by Tech International, safety advocates said.

NHTSA's investigation follows the death of Robert Monk of Orlando, Fla., who was killed when the right rear tire of his 1998 Ford Explorer failed, triggering a rollover crash.

Kane said the tire failure has been linked to a cracked a Dill TR413 valve stem manufactured by Topseal, a subsidiary of Shanghai Baolong Dill Air Control Products, LLC.

In March, the Monk family filed suit against North Carolina-based Dill Air Control Products, alleging that the defective tire valve stem caused the crash.

"The Monk family wants to get the message out there to ensure that no one else is hurt," said Richard Newsome, an attorney with the Newsome Law Firm in Orlando, Fla.

On April 30, after receiving notice of the Monk crash, Dill officials met with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to discuss the problem.

On May 2, Dill sent a Technical Bulletin to major tire retailers advising them that the company had received complaints of surface cracks appearing on the outside of the rubber near the rim hole in several models.

"When the rubber is exposed to high levels of ozone as it is being stressed, surface cracks can appear. High speeds and an unsupportive rim profile allow the rubber valve to flex at a greater angle and may cause these cracks to propagate, leading to a slow leak of air," the bulletin said.

Dill officials told NHTSA that valves -- made from July 2006 to November 2006 -- may leak from cracks caused by ozone exposure.

Brian Rigney, general manager at Dill, didn't return a call seeking comment.

this is huge folks.... huge

Comment

I'm glad I had my original stems from my OEM tires, checked, and reused on my new tires (wanted to keep the chrome stems) Who new it would be good
                  Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                  Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                  pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
                    I'm glad I had my original stems from my OEM tires, checked, and reused on my new tires (wanted to keep the chrome stems) Who new it would be good
                    those chrome "covers" come off, its a pain sometimes but they just pull off
                    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I jsut got a notice in the mail from Discount Tire about these faulty valve stems. They are replacing them at no cost. I have new tires on both my cars purchased thru them so I have to get them both taken care of. I hate to think what this is costing companies like Discount Tire.
                      2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

We can soon expect a certain presidential candidate to promote tire valve replacement as a cure for expensive oil and climate change.
                        R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington
                          We can soon expect a certain presidential candidate to promote tire valve replacement as a cure for expensive oil and climate change.
                          may your valve stems walk from the garage and attack you in your sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
                            may your valve stems walk from the garage and attack you in your sleep.
                            I'd PAY to see that
                            Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                            Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                            pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
                              My wife's car has a slow leak in a fairly new tire that they couldn't find so they are blaming it on the tire seperating. I can't see any tire seperation and it rides fine.
                              Any tire store that doesn't toss a known leaky tire in a dunk tank to find air leaks is sub-par in my book. I've been to many places that spray soapy water on the tire and 'cant find the leak.' Then I take it to my trusted tire dealer and have 'em dunk tank it - Oh look, there it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X