• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these people on?

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...MzMDAwLW9pbA--

3000 myth.

2002 Firehawk Sold

.......................crack
    2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Comment

3000 miles was what the people who sold you the oil wanted you to think so they could sell you more oil.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

ive always figured that 3000 was a myth. maybe at one time it was necessary, but not today.

I used to change it every 3k up until about a year ago.

Now I go ~5k. I used to set the trip, and when it hit 3k, I'd change it, sometimes sooner. Just got to be pointless. When you drain your oil, and it's still gold in color, your oil is fine. Esp. at $6/quart.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

eh i've been doing it since i was 11(change the oil on the familys car) ill keep changing it at 3K
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

i fully with you trash man i would rather change it every 3k and keep clean oil in it at all times. your looking at a 40-50 dollar job once every few months or on time a 3k dollar motor rebuild hmmmmm i think ill drop the 50 every few months.
            94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
            94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
            75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
            1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
            GOT PSi?
            Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1slo_camaro
              i fully with you trash man i would rather change it every 3k and keep clean oil in it at all times. your looking at a 40-50 dollar job once every few months or on time a 3k dollar motor rebuild hmmmmm i think ill drop the 50 every few months.
              Mobil 1 has been proven to be just as efficient at 5000 miles as it is at 2000 miles.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

eh i dont think it matters if u change it at 3 or 5K as long as the oil is meets OE specs. i gotta put a engine in my focus or replace it.
                2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                  Mobil 1 has been proven to be just as efficient at 5000 miles as it is at 2000 miles.
                  It certainly has for me.
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

I think the 3000 mile oil change number comes from the severe operation guidelines- but, if you look at much of a typical person's driving, it might fall under severe operating guidelines- lots of short trips, stop-and-go driving, trailering, winter temps, lots of full-throttle take offs- about the only vehicles that don't operate under severe service might be a long-haul delivery vehicle

That said, most modern oils are far better than they need to be- or used to be- as long as you don't have mechanical problems that might dilute your oil, such as blow-by or a clogged PVC valve, your oil should easily last 5000 miles- If you are really concerned about it, there are labs that you can send a sample of your high-mile oil to, to see if it is still good at, say, 6000 or 7000 miles- it may well be, and the lab will measure trace amounts of various metals in the oil to see if there are indications of abnormal wear- not cheap, but maybe interesting to help you get a better picture on the health of your engine-
                    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

www.bobistheoilguy.com

I used to read quite a bit from this site. I've been taking my cars in to a local firestone. They have a blended synthetic oil change that's only a few dollars more than what I'd pay to do it myself. $16.99 including a tire rotation last I checked. I've forgotten the oil brand, but it's more than sufficient.

My problem now is that I don't put many miles on the cars. So I end up changing the oil every 6 months before I hit 3,000 miles.
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD
                      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 99 Zeee!!
                        www.bobistheoilguy.com

I used to read quite a bit from this site. I've been taking my cars in to a local firestone. They have a blended synthetic oil change that's only a few dollars more than what I'd pay to do it myself. $16.99 including a tire rotation last I checked. I've forgotten the oil brand, but it's more than sufficient.

My problem now is that I don't put many miles on the cars. So I end up changing the oil every 6 months before I hit 3,000 miles.
                        BTW Valvoline synthetic "blend" is only 15% synthetic and 85% regular oil yet the price if about 50% higher than regular oil. It is a big money maker for Valvoline.

Comment

I am one that changes synthetic oil frequently. When I pulled the heads off my WS6 with 120K miles, there was no visible wear in the cylinders. The factory hone was still perfect. That sold me.

Comment

Working...
                          X