Scott Kalitta RIP 6/21/08

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Kalitta RIP 6/21/08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU < thats the crash, once is enough for me

NHRA lost a great driver
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

It truely unfortunate that someone chose to use youtube to exploit the death of another person. I really wonder why you feel you had to participate in this grizzly fascination by posting it here.

Sad.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I watched ESPN news early Sunday morning and was shocked to see that. It is sad that had to happen. From what I saw it looked like a total accident. I'm sure his family and team will miss him.
      Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
      Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
      pics and info

Comment

Views: 1,289,017 watch in standard quality watch in high quality
        There are a lot of sick people in this world Fred! Rest in Peace Scott. You will be missed.
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

i basically copied it from another board. i posted it just in case ppl wonder what exactly happened, like i had wondered
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Fred, it's no different than ESPN broadcasting it on tv where millions of people get to see it than trash man posting it on here.

Judging by the video, it's the impact that took his life not the fire.
            Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Nice Sand Pit at end huh? Just a fence
              1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

Actually, there is a sand pit, but its a short one. There's an excellent shot of the facility on google earth (it has a landmark, so its easy to find). The shutdown lenght is 2,375 ft (0.45 miles) from the finish line to the concrete wall that wraps around the end of the sandbox. On the other side of the concrete wall is a line of trees, separating the end of the track and a view of the track from a public road. The public road is what has limited the extension of the shutdown lanes.

Even the ESPN2 coverage of the event avoided playing the crash video. In the coverage I saw, they showed it only once. Several replays of the run were terminated at the finish line. I honestly believe that was out of respect for Scott and his family. I still don't like the link above, or the fact that its posted.... but that's just me.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

RIP Scott. All in all he went doing the thing he loved best.

I think he would have faired better with the trees and public road. A concrete wall? That's pure genius. I'm betting you'll see John Force heading up track redesign in the very near future. Why not use the same design they use on the flight decks of carriers to catch planes which miss the tailhook? Wouldn't you pay another couple bucks for a ticket to avoid grizzly incidents like this?
                  Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

The blower apparently blew off the motor. At 7000+ hp funny car being driven it at anytime is a gamble at best
                    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                    pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                      I think he would have faired better with the trees and public road. A concrete wall? That's pure genius. I'm betting you'll see John Force heading up track redesign in the very near future. Why not use the same design they use on the flight decks of carriers to catch planes which miss the tailhook? Wouldn't you pay another couple bucks for a ticket to avoid grizzly incidents like this?
                      You can see there was a net in front of the wall. Looks like he may have missed that and the wall completely.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...33/1002/SPORTS
                      Kalitta cruised into the sandpit at an estimated speed of more than 250 miles per hour and appeared to launch airborne into a concrete-filled metal post positioned just beyond a curved concrete wall.
                      BTW:As I expected...
                      This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by National Hot Rod Association / ESPN, Inc.
                      Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
                      RIP Scott. All in all he went doing the thing he loved best
                      Eh...I was watching an interview with an aerobatic pilot, where she was talking about an airshow crash she had (she walked away). Said she'd rather die in bed than be remembered as going out doing what she loved and leaving people with a tragic memory of her last day.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
                      '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
                      Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                      X