No announcement yet.

should i buy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The '94 to '96 DeVilles were LT1 powered, RWD cars- pretty nice, power and luxury- they were the GM "D" bodies, similar to the "B" body Caprice/Impala cars- there were people who put Impala SS wheels on them, and I have seen at least one with a 6-speed installed.

The Northstar engine makes lots of power, but has a pretty shaky reputation for durability- Not sure how easy they are to find parts for, either. I don't think I would do this unless I was looking for a major project-
    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Now my 89 Deville with a 4.9 was a champ. I put over 240K miles on that and sold it. The new owner is still driving it 3 years later. That was a solid car.

Comment

I was talking to my neighbor about the Northstar engine. His father has one. It blew the headgasket too. The reason they blow the head gasket is the head bolts are threaded into the aluminum block without helicoils. Another words the bolts strip out the threads in the block which makes the head gasket blow. The only way to fix them is to put helicoils in the block for the bolts to screw into. That is why it is $500. If you took it to GM to be fixed it would cost about $4k. If you can fix it yourself it's OK but it's as joe says a PITA. BTW it is front wheel drive. Oh what fun that would be.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
        X