Droppin in a 383 Stroker!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Droppin in a 383 Stroker!!!

OMG guys i have really good news now. for 1900 this guy is building me a fresh 383 stroker intake to pan!!!! this saturday im pulling my motor then he said itll take two weeks for him to complete the build then ima drop it back in. he is gonna make me a cd with all the pics of the build and everything. he is painting the block and intake and everything. im doing the intake a blue i just dont know the block should i go plain old black or should i do something different guys??? what do you all think?? i cant wait. im soooo stoked for this. but now i have to sell my truck to have the money to build it also he has a centerforce clutch to drop in there to hes gonna sell to me for 200 bucks has 50 miles on it the guy bought it didnt like the clutch and 6spd setup so he bought a auto and dropped. also he might have a set of BBK long tubes for like another 200 so i cant wait. well im gonna stop rambling on everything seems too be working out for me!!!
    94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
    94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
    75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
    1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
    GOT PSi?
    Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

What is he going to do to the heads and intake?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Is the Centerfoce clutch specifically for the LT1? If it isn't, it won't work (see my post in the tech forum).

Are you sure the BBK headers are "long tubes"? I was not aware BBK made LT's for the LT1. Sounds fishy.

Proceed with caution. Borrowing money to build an engine is not a wise move. If you decide to continue on this path, get good references on the engine builder, and get everything he promises (like 2 week delivery) in writing. Make sure he gives you the specs/brands/part #'s for all the parts he is planning to use. Make sure he is selling you NEW parts, and not used parts. Make sure he tells you what machine operations he plans to perform.

I don't want to throw cold water on your excitement, but I've seen too many people burned bad by a deal that was too good to believe.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        Is the Centerfoce clutch specifically for the LT1? If it isn't, it won't work (see my post in the tech forum).

Are you sure the BBK headers are "long tubes"? I was not aware BBK made LT's for the LT1. Sounds fishy.

Proceed with caution. Borrowing money to build an engine is not a wise move. If you decide to continue on this path, get good references on the engine builder, and get everything he promises (like 2 week delivery) in writing. Make sure he gives you the specs/brands/part #'s for all the parts he is planning to use. Make sure he is selling you NEW parts, and not used parts. Make sure he tells you what machine operations he plans to perform.

I don't want to throw cold water on your excitement, but I've seen too many people burned bad by a deal that was too good to believe.
        I'm thinking the same thing. I can't see how the package can be done correctly for that price and if you going to go that route, I can see everything else in the driveline going "boom" in short order. In the long run, you're going to be dumping a boatload of cash into this. This just makes my motorhead sonar go nuts.

Comment

Paint the block white.That way when you get a oil leak you can find it now.
          Blazer

Comment

Yeah I agree with Joe and Fred. Seems like the builder has a bunch of parts laying around and is going to piece the engine together. I mean if he is going to just Bore the block and pout some junk Pistons and some old used stroker crack and use the stock cam,head, and intake set-up then yeah $1900 is about right.

The smell of fishies is everywhere. Yeah I dont know like fred said, We dont mean to burst your bubble and i know that great feeling u get when u hear a great deal like this, but step back and realize what your getting yourself into.

A decent 383 stroker:
            New pistons
            New Crank
            New Rods
            New Push-rods
            New lifter
            new cam
            New springs and retainers
            Cam and crank bearings
            All the gaskets
            Optional :
            Ported Intake manifold
            Port and polished Heads
            Bigger valves

Im pretty confident that all these things alone will equal up to well over $1900 aside from the cost to assemble.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

i completely agree with what you guys are saying. but ive known the guy for 10 yrs of my own life my dad has known him for longer. he was gonna do my LT1 M6 swap into my car fo 1000. he already has easily 35 LT1s and a hand full of LS1s under his belt. and only one has come back cause the people sprayed a 300 shot 50 miles after the build. other then that everyone seems to be really happy with his work and he is a pastor at a local church. not like that means anything these days. but i know the machine shop he is using and they are good people. and the rest of the driveline i wanna get a 12 bolt ot drop in just for safety sake. but for right now i just have to be careful thats pretty much what it comes down to as long as i stay out of the throttle it shouldnt be to bad.
              94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
              75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
              GOT PSi?

Comment

Originally posted by 1slo_camaro
                i completely agree with what you guys are saying. but ive known the guy for 10 yrs of my own life my dad has known him for longer. he was gonna do my LT1 M6 swap into my car fo 1000. he already has easily 35 LT1s and a hand full of LS1s under his belt. and only one has come back cause the people sprayed a 300 shot 50 miles after the build. other then that everyone seems to be really happy with his work and he is a pastor at a local church. not like that means anything these days. but i know the machine shop he is using and they are good people. and the rest of the driveline i wanna get a 12 bolt ot drop in just for safety sake. but for right now i just have to be careful thats pretty much what it comes down to as long as i stay out of the throttle it shouldnt be to bad.
                I dunno bro. That sounds like a fairy tale build. You know, some guy down on his luck gets saved by an pastor of a church who happens to build stroker motors for $1900. I just don't see how the thing can be built for that dough. I couldn't get the parts alone for that, never mind the machine work and the assembly. I'll pray to the man upstairs that this doesn't head south for you, but something tells me there is more to this than meets the eye.

Do yourself a favor, do some searching on the internet and price a rotating assembly parts. Then call another machine shop and ask what they would charge to do the block and everything else to accept a 383 rotating assembly and you do the math. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but if it seems too good to be true it useually is too good to be true. Now you have to look at the heads. There's more dough. Then the cam required. More dough. now there are all kinds of misc shop supplies like assembly lube, oil, sealers, etc. If you start running a total, it will make you wonder how in the heck this miracle will unfold. My best guess is that if I were going to do it all myself except machine work, we're talking $4K minimum. I can see a stock refresh rebuild for $1900. $1000 for an R&R is standard. Anything past that just seems........

I hope for your sake it works out.

Comment

Joe is exactly right. Do as much research as possible.

If this falls apart, a motor won't be the only thing you'll be out of... A family friend will be lost too.
                  SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                  Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Also some family friends feel comfortable in helping eachother and dont mind going cheap when doing so. Just try and be there as much as possible for the build and get part numbers and brands.
                    Eddie
                    2000 M6 Trans Am
                    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

ok ok ok i talked to him about 45 minutes ago. he is using a machined block he has from an old build. i called the machine shop they said that the block and crank he is using checks out OK! so they are used but the shop said no worries and they will stand by that (its in writing). the heads he has from an old build he is gonna rebuild and clean up. so there a few things used. well for a bone stock oem lt1 he would only want 1500 and your block for a core. idk if it matters but he is taking my entire motor so he can salvage whats good. and he said there are very few minor parts and sensors that he has to use from my motor
                      94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                      75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                      GOT PSi?

Comment

Thats about right, He is going to piece together your engine. Doubt much parts are going to be new.
                        Eddie
                        2000 M6 Trans Am
                        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

well he said new pistons, i-beam rods. head guts (valves springs and what not) cam and i cant remember what else
                          94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                          75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                          GOT PSi?

Comment

Sounds good. Good luck with this build man.
                            Eddie
                            2000 M6 Trans Am
                            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

thanks guys ill post every pic i get once its all done. im pullin my motor and trans this weekend that away i can clean the underside of the car and engine bay and paint it pretty decent. pictures will follow
                              94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
                              75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
                              GOT PSi?

Comment

Working...
                              X