• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got New Tires?.. Think again!

Something to think about

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

I have to laugh....

this has been going on for so many years its unreal... just recently the public media has picked up on it.

age of tires has been a topic of discussion at NHTSA, TACOM, and our tire program at meeting after meeting, no one, not even industry ....can come up with a "expiration date"...LOL

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

In Britain the report said they use 6 years as a cut off. How come their industry went along with that when our tire industry cannot? Are they just using the obfuscation about when to give an expiration date as an excuse to continue selling "as is" as a money making maneuver? (greedy bastids)
      Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
      Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
      pics and info

Comment

It's all about the mighty buck. On top of it you have a booming second time around tire industry.
        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

we used 4 years as a cut off, and we got a new order of tires in and they were more then a year old, we sent them back
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Guess the dealers need to armorall all thier stock?
            2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

So I went out and looked at my wife's car this morning to check her date codes. I only found 1 of the 4 on the outside of the car. So I got to looking and the last time she went and had her tires rebalanced they put 2 of the 4 tires back on on the wrong side of the car. They are unidirectional tires. This is the second time at the same place they have done that. That is the last straw for them. The odd thing is the 4th tire which is rotating the correct direction did not have a date code on it. I can't find anything on the tire about it being a left side or right side tire but at least it is going the right direction.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

jeff becarefull bout what way the tread is going, the Fuzion HRis have a in and out but a tread like a directional and when u put them on the car, two of the tires go in the oppisite direction, never did understand that
                2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

The wife was telling me about a show that was on TV. They talked about the age of the tires, especially the spare one.

That's something you don't really think about. I'm sure it's ok for emergency for a couple of miles. It always cracks me up when you see somebody on the interstate driving at or over the speed limit with one of those emergency spares "donuts" for a long time.

You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky today?
                  97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Trash man
                    jeff becarefull bout what way the tread is going, the Fuzion HRis have a in and out but a tread like a directional and when u put them on the car, two of the tires go in the oppisite direction, never did understand that
                    They have arrows on them too. They are backwards.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
                      They have arrows on them too. They are backwards.
                      and it only relates to the tread patterns ability to shed water correctly and provide more stability and quicker response on directional changes. in fact, if you reverse them on the rear, you enhance traction on take off.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                      X