Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gm's position on nitrogen

since its been brought up a few times;....thought i would post this

#05-03-10-020A: Use of Nitrogen Gas in Tires - (Jan 3, 2008)

Subject: Use of Nitrogen Gas in Tires

Models: 2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)

2008 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3

2008 and Prior Saab 9-7X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2007-2008 model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-03-10-020 (Section 03 -- Suspension).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GM's Position on the Use of Nitrogen Gas in Tires
    General Motors does not oppose the use of purified nitrogen as an inflation gas for tires. We expect the theoretical benefits to be reduced in practical use due to the lack of an existing infrastructure to continuously facilitate inflating tires with nearly pure nitrogen. Even occasional inflation with compressed atmospheric air will negate many of the theoretical benefits. Given those theoretical benefits, practical limitations, and the robust design of GM original equipment TPC tires, the realized benefits to our customer of inflating their tires with purified nitrogen are expected to be minimal.

The Promise of Nitrogen: Under Controlled Conditions
    Recently, nitrogen gas (for use in inflating tires) has become available to the general consumer through some retailers. The use of nitrogen gas
    to inflate tires is a technology used in automobile racing. The following benefits under controlled conditions are attributed to nitrogen gas and its unique properties:

• A reduction in the expected loss of Tire Pressure over time.

• A reduction in the variance of Tire Pressures with temperature changes due to reduction of water vapor concentration.

• A reduction of long term rubber degradation due to a decrease in oxygen concentrations.

Important: These are obtainable performance improvements when relatively pure nitrogen gas is used to inflate tires under controlled conditions.

The Promise of Nitrogen: Real World Use
    Nitrogen inflation can provide some benefit by reducing gas migration (pressure loss) at the molecular level through the tire structure. NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) has stated that the inflation pressure loss of tires can be up to 5% a month. Nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules and, therefore, are less prone to "seeping" through the tire casing. The actual obtainable benefits of nitrogen vary, based on the physical construction and the materials used in the manufacturing of the tire being inflated.

Another potential benefit of nitrogen is the reduced oxidation of tire components. Research has demonstrated that oxygen consumed in the oxidation process of the tire primarily comes from the inflation media. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that oxidation of tire components can be reduced if the tire is inflated with pure nitrogen. However, only very small amounts of oxygen are required to begin the normal oxidation process. Even slight contamination of the tire inflation gas with compressed atmospheric air during normal inflation pressure maintenance, may negate the benefits of using nitrogen.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

I believe this is a carry-over from the aviation world, where the tires are subject to much harsher conditions of load and temp. While I agree that there are theoretical benefits, in the real world I suspect the gains are minimal- generally, how long do you keep your tires on a vehicle anyway, a couple years? Certainly not worth going hours and miles out of your way to do, and not worth paying lots of extra dollars, in my opinion. Maybe if you had a show car that was kept in a garage and only driven a few thousand miles a year....
    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

If you have a Costco in your area, they use nitrogen exclusively.

My buddy works in the tire shop at our local Costco. When I had my Dunlop Direzzas shipped from Tire Rack, he mounted them at Costco after hours. I have noticed one thing... My tires NEVER lose pressure. They have been on my car for just over a year now and he filled them to 33 lbs. They are still at 33 lbs each.

I'm definitely sold on nitrogen. Granted, plain ole' air works just fine... But nitrogen is really nice as long as you have easy access to it.
      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
        If you have a Costco in your area, they use nitrogen exclusively.

My buddy works in the tire shop at our local Costco. When I had my Dunlop Direzzas shipped from Tire Rack, he mounted them at Costco after hours. I have noticed one thing... My tires NEVER lose pressure. They have been on my car for just over a year now and he filled them to 33 lbs. They are still at 33 lbs each.

I'm definitely sold on nitrogen. Granted, plain ole' air works just fine... But nitrogen is really nice as long as you have easy access to it.
        they will lose pressure eventually, just not as fast.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
          they will lose pressure eventually, just not as fast.
          I've been fortunate so far. Just checked again last night. One of them is down to 31. I had to suck it up and put regular old air from my compressor in

My experience with nitrogen has been positive so far. There's just not a tremendous amount of places offering it yet (understandably).
          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I wonder how carbon dioxide would work?- not sure on the molecule size versus the others, but it is pretty inert- won't cause oxidation- and is easy to come by- I already have a CO2 inflator for my bicycle tires- uses the little gas cartridges that you would use in a BB gun-
            2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
              I wonder how carbon dioxide would work?- not sure on the molecule size versus the others, but it is pretty inert- won't cause oxidation- and is easy to come by- I already have a CO2 inflator for my bicycle tires- uses the little gas cartridges that you would use in a BB gun-
              Say! You might be onto something here, WW. "Carbon sequestration" via tire inflation as a solution to the dreaded global warming.

Al Gore, call your office!
              R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Roger, why would you want to stop global warming? Won't that make Canada the next vacation hotspot? The Carribean of the 2000's-

I actually already really like the beaches on Nova Scotia- Melmerby is wonderful in August- the nearest ocean to me, in upstate NY that is actually warm enough to swim in-

I say we patent this idea, and sell it to some company that needs carbon credits- and then invest the income into new ZO6 Corvettes-

Comment

Working...
                X