Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM starter question

I have an electrical question.

Here is the problem. My Corvette is possessed. First I went to leave work, started the car and I heard a funny noise. I turned the car off and the starter continued to crank. So I got out and took the negative battery cable off the car to make it stop. I go get a bar to tap the starter thinking the solenoid is stuck. I can't get to it at all. So I get in, turn the key to the run position, get out and touch the negative battery cable to the batter which turns the starter because it's stuck on, car fires up, disconnect the battery which stops the starter but the car keeps running. I drive the car to the stealership because I do NOT want to change the starter in a C5 with SLP headers. I get there and we go to start it so they can drive it around the building and the starter is not stuck anymore. They call me the next day and say the A/C drain tube has clogged, backed up and run on the BCM causing it to short and keep trying to start the car. Total cost to repair $2000. I said I don't have that kind of money to put it back together and I'll come and get it. So I get there and the car is normal for a couple of days. Thursday morning I walk outside in the car port keys inside hanging on the wall and the cars starter starts running by itself. Good thing it isn't a stick shift because the van was parked in front of it. I jump in it and take the BCM out of the car and the starter continues to run. So to me I don't see how it can be the BCM or the key switch for that matter. Since the starter is powered by positive going to it via the purple wire (same as f-body) I don't see how it could be a burn through or short to ground problem. I figure it has to be the starter solenoid switch is broken and the contact has fallen down to make contact. So the fix is putting a new solenoid on it but since you can't get them separate anymore it needs a starter.

So I was talking to a guy here at work and he said it used to be pretty common for people to put a remote mounted solenoid similar to a Ford in their Chevy when they put headers on their car because the heat from the headers would make the Chevy solenoid fail. The starter is a royal PITA to get to on a C5 especially with headers and I don't want to replace it and it to fail again. So I am thinking about putting a remote starter solenoid in mine and leaving the starter in it because it works fine. Actually it works too well and won't stop working. But I have a question. The solenoid has a switch and 2 coils in it. How do I wire it. I'm thinking that all I have to do is take the purple wire off the Chevy starter solenoid and run it to the new remote solenoid. Take the wire to the battery off the starter Chevy starter solenoid and run it to the new remote solenoid. Then get a new heavy gage batter cable and run it from the new starter solenoid to the big post on the starter itself leaving the little short wire from the big post on the starter to the Chevy starter solenoid on the starter. That should back feed the solenoids +12 volts skipping the switch to energize them to make the starter gear go out and engage the flywheel. Does that sound right?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Well looky what I just found.
    http://www.maliburacing.com/starter_solenoid.html
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Nevermind. I can't find a place to mount the solenoid.

The car is working perfect today. I just verified that the car will not start without the BCM so it has to be the starter solenoid. I guess it's time to put a starter in it. Oh joy.

Comment

Working...
      X