Hope I'm still welcome here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope I'm still welcome here

Unfortunately, my Trans Am bit the bullet. There was a blown gasket in either my head or intake manifold, coolant leaked in and caused the motor to hydrolock. Game over. It was running fine one day, then the next I started it up and it was shaking pretty badly. Got it to the mechanic and it was basically too late. I'm going to have her towed back to my house to take a front row seat in the driveway. I was pondering what to do and since winter is coming and gas prices are still astronomical, I decided I'm going to put it on the back burner, at least for now. Whether I'm going to sell it or fix it, I'll decide on down the road.

For now however, I've picked up a 94 Del Sol Vtec. I carfaxed it and everything is straight (btw, if anyone needs something Carfaxed, just give me the VIN and I'd be happy to run it for you). It's a legit Vtec, fully optioned, but it needs some work. It has 190k miles on it, 60k on the motor, new clutch and runs and shifts like a dream. It does have a cracked windshield however, plus a lot of the weatherstripping, the shocks, struts, and springs are going to have to be replaced. The hood doesn't line up with the fenders, but I already know it was in an accident. Not salvaged, fixable stuff. Aside from that, if it passes emissions, I picked up a beautifully running Del Sol Vtec for $2300, all with a Carfax buyback guarantee. My coming weeks will be spent going to work, school, Jiu Jitsu, and going all over that car with a wire brush, a bottle of acetone and some rags. I'll post up the pictures when I drive the car home. For now, I'm going to have it shipped to my mechanic to have it inspected, run it for emissions, then to the body shop to fix what needs to be fixed.

I'll have to see what the future holds for my poor Trans Am.
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

as long as u dont rice it out, its all good but damn dude, $2300 for a 190K del slow? even with all that wrong i wouldnt have paided more then 1500 for it. but thats just me
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

It's not the base Del Sol. The Vtec is pretty rare, especially a fully optioned one. Most are Del Sol S's or Si's.
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Had to be a head gasket that caused the hydrolock. There is no coolant in or near the LT1 intake manifold.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

u suk. take a hike......bite me....... go pound sand...........

thats awful, broh.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Sweet!

A fellow VTEC owner!

Sorry about the T/A. Just take your time thinking about it. Don't rush into a decision.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by Steel2686
              Sweet!

A fellow VTEC owner!

Sorry about the T/A. Just take your time thinking about it. Don't rush into a decision.
              I'm thinking I might do some bolt ons to give it some pep. Where it stands, it'd need a turbo just to be slow. I think they run the 1/4 stock in 15.8. That's bad news.

As for the big red machine, it's sitting comfortably in the driveway. I'm hoping to keep it there until I have the money to give it a heart transplant. I hate to say it, but you guys are right. I don't even want to think about selling it. I always figured I'd just drop it at the first chance I got, but I have to admit, it's a pain in the ass, a lot of stuff needs to be fixed on it, but there's just something about it. It grew on me. It really did. I guess I'll get a cover for it, go outside and hit it with Armor All every so often and maybe eventually I'll get a good deal on a motor. It always bothered me that it didn't have t tops, but now that I have the Del Sol that's not even an issue anymore. I'm thinking that since it's going to need a motor swap, I'll take the time and do things right. I'll strip it down and make it more performance oriented. Give it a nice Spohn k member, pull the A/C, heat, whatever adds weight and isn't necessary. I've been through basically the hottest, most humid Summer days New York has to offer without air conditioning, so pulling it won't be a problem. It won't be driven in the winter, so the heat can go. We'll see what the future holds. I can't see myself being able to let her go.
              SOLD- Kinda miss it
              SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Yeah even with VTec and all the issues your claiming that thing is worth about $1000. You can Get a shell for $500 and swap a DOHC B-Series and trans into it for about $1500.

Thats to much money. If you want to make it a little quicker, just do some small mods, but unless you swap the engine, you wont make it at all fast.

15.8 in the 1/4? That was Stock with a pro. Driver and No Miles. Your looking at 17's maybe high 16's.

Other than that, It should be a reliable car once you fix it up. I would recommend just fixing up the suspension. My honda used to be a pretty damn good canyon carver for what it was.
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Hey, you're always welcome. if you remember, I had a honda for a bit. I realized my error and promptly dumped it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

VTEC= Very Tired Econo Crate

You'll get over it. I will say though, great on gas mileage. I did hate the integrity of the sheetmetal and paint. It would chip easily and rust quickly. The metal seemed quite thin.compared to other cars. Some parts were pretty darned expensive too.

Comment

thats too bad about the red beast man. I hope it all works out for you. Too bad you didn't catch it before it seized up. Head gasket is cake man.

And as far as 2300 being too much... I do agree that's not a really good deal, but I will say around here 4 cylinder econo boxes have gone down in supply, and the demand is through the roof and they're going for top dollar, if you can find one, and the v8's aren't worth anything.

I may have gotten 6000 for my car last year, but I would probably have to settle for 4k today, and then drop 6k on an old integra.
                    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                      It's not the base Del Sol. The Vtec is pretty rare, especially a fully optioned one. Most are Del Sol S's or Si's.
                      My bro just got 94 Del Sol Vtec Supercharged for 2k. Targa top is cool part about them.
                      1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

Comment

The Trans Am bought the farm a little while back. I've been searching for 2, maybe 3 weeks for a decent economy car with a manual transmission. Couldn't find anything. Nothing whatsoever for under $5,000. I found one Del Sol, loved it, carfaxed it and it came up salvaged and title washed. When I informed him, the owner wasn't too happy to hear that he bought a salvaged car without realizing it. I saw a Civic for sale, but the owner didn't list the transmission and never replied to my e-mail when I asked him. It's been rough finding something though. I didn't want an Accord, no Hyundais, no Kias, so I finally found this. I kinda wish I'd waited it out and gotten a Miata instead, but what the hell. I'm sure this can be made to handle pretty well, though obviously nowhere near as well as a Miata. Plus, I'm newly single and I'm sure the ladies will love the targa top
                        SOLD- Kinda miss it
                        SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Would it be hard to make this thing outhandle my Trans Am?
                          SOLD- Kinda miss it
                          SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

There sure are alot of ricers around here.

96 TA Sold!
                            87 TA Sold!
                            80 Z28 Sold!
                            74 Formula Sold!
                            73 Z28 Sold!
                            69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

What should I do here? Whatever motor I put in it is going to be modified. Should I pick up an LTX motor and drop it in? Or should I save up for an LSX swap? Obviously, the LTX will be cheaper, but an aluminum block is an awful lot of weight off the front end. I'd like to try and build this car up to my liking, which would also involve a weight distribution of as close to 50/50 as possible. Should I buy a cammed LS1, add a set of ported heads and a matching intake and supporting mods, or should I go for a stroked LT1 with aftermarket parts? How much would I have to change to swap over to an LS1? Aside from the transmission and motor mounts, is there a lot involved? I want to go with a tubular or chromoly k- member anyhow, so that's not an issue.

Shades, what year is that NSX? And how do you like it (stupid question)? You must get a ton of looks in that thing.
                              SOLD- Kinda miss it
                              SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Working...
                              X