Treating her right...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treating her right...

I haven't posted in a bit...been working like a dog and trying to complete the mods on the T/A.

Anyway, for those who know me...I can't leave well enough alone...EVER!

I got the T/A running like a top, so of course, it's time to modify again.

I started with simple goals...install AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers. Well, that was the plan.

Because everything is off, or is only a few small steps away from coming off, I've decided to replace nearly everything and add some sparkle in the process. Here's the list so far:

* new water pump
    * rebuilt the Optispark to like new condition with latest generation cap/rotor (all brass)
    * replace all timing cover seals including cover to block seal
    * replace all heater and cooling hoses with Goodyear Hi-miler (yes, I did ALL the hoses)
    * replace the coolant tank/battery tray
    * replace EGR (emission) lines with new rubber
    * replace plugs and wires (OTVC)
    * replace major A/C components (expansion valve, drier/accumulator, compressor) with new parts (no remans here)
    * replace rear main seal
    * replace oil pan gasket
    * flush/fill power steering system
    * replace T-56 tranny fluid
    * replace alternator
    * replace valve covers with polished, smooth aluminum covers
    * replaced all seals with Neoprene Fel-pro reusable ones
    * flush/fill cooling system including heater core
    * reflash ECM with hi-po professional calibration (o2 sensors...hmm, where'd they go (LOL)
    * covert dual cat setup to single hi-flow system
    * install Aeroforce Interceptor dual gauges to monitor everything
    * install rag joint eliminator kit

And for the sparkle: (after 50 hours of work to measure and catalog everything)
    * replace nearly every visible nut, bolt, and screw in the engine compartment with polished stainless steel hardware (even hardware on the hood)
    * replace all spring clamps on hoses with hand-polished worm-drive clamps
    * polished the fuel rails, intake, etc.
    * install polished alternator with polished fan and pulley
    * paint/polish (?) accessory bracket, hood hardware, etc.

I'm shooting for a reliable 350 hp at the flywheel. As I was already at 330 - 335, I'm pretty confident these latest mods will get me there.

Perhaps in another few years, I'll open up the motor with a stroker package and heads/cam. We'll see...
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Photos are mandatory......
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

i say we get photos or he gets the boot lol jp but seriously

94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
      94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
      75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
      1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
      GOT PSi?
      Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Photos are forth coming. I'm heading out to New Orleans for a bit, so the project is taking a while.

But, when it's done, I'll post...I promise.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

HAHAHA awesome cant wait to see
          94 V6 A4~~LT1 M6~~383 M6 13.1 @ 109 with a 2.1 60' Sold/Stripped
          94 Z28 383 A4 Sold
          75 Chevy~~~~ SOLD
          1992 Convertable RS 305/700r4 <<<Just a Beater
          GOT PSi?
          Good Cause Your Gonna Need It!!!

Comment

Nice work, Al. Can't wait to see the finished product.

SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

BTW - once I verify that the new stainless steel bolts all fit, I'm going to make the part numbers and specs. available. I'll probably give the list to Shbox.com so he can add them to the list he already has.

Just a little "give back" to the community...
              Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

If the pictures don't show up, I'm going to drive over to Jamesburg and hunt you down.

You have been warned.......

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Hehe...I hear ya. The car's still in the "disassembly phase" right now. I need to sell off some parts so I can buy the rest. You know what it's like...3 little kids...not much spare coin floating around these days.

As it is, I'm bartering for some of the work, mainly the oil pan gasket and the rear main seal. My buddy owns a garage in Jamesburg, so I'm going to do some work for him on the side as compensation for using his lift.

So long as Ike doesn't wreak havoc with the oil rigs in the Gulf, I'm hoping to have something to show everyone in a couple of weeks.

If I'm sent to New Orleans...well, then who knows. Could be gone for a month.
                  Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Just a quick update...

About half way done with the SS bolt installation.

Disconnected my a/c and will be cleaning up the acc. bracket and painting to match other components.

Hope to make a big dent tomorrow as I'm taking off of work to put in more time.

Stay tuned for more...
                    Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Sweet! Can't wait to see/hear of the finished product.
                      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

good job man... thats one kept up 96 for sure.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Wow...I just realized how long I've been working on this "project"...over a month already!

Anyway, just a quick update:

I got both left and right headers (finally) on. Unbelievable how difficult it was. I started with the driver's side, and thought...piece of cake. It took all of 20 minutes to do. However, the passenger side was a killer. I honestly spent close to 15 hours working on it. Trying to get the bolts in the holes is near impossible for certain cylinders. I ended up riggin' up a magnet to line them up, then I would slip underneath and try to hand thread them in until they grabbed. Getting a wrench on some was also ridiculous. I had to use a tiny open-ended wrench for most, as the clearance is non-existent. I had to grind a bit of the K-member, as the flange was too close for comfort. That took awhile, as the headers had to be unbolted (again) to access the area with the die grinder.

Once I thought I had it, I realized even using the modified dipstick tube, I could not get everything to line up. I had to remove half the bolts, tweak the header to the side, then thread the tube in, only to find out the bracket was in the way of another bolt. What a chore...I'm really getting tired of working on this car.

ANYWAY, I made progress tonight, so I'm optimistic I may be able to finish in a week or two. I decided to purchase a few more parts (starter) and a clutch.

I decided on a RAM Powergrip, LT4 (Valeo) pressure plate, solid bronze pilot bushing (no bearing anymore for me) and a RAM billet aluminum flywheel. The flywheel is lighter than stock, but not as radical as the SPEC, which weighs only 13 pounds. The RAM is 18 pounds, and with my gearing, should not cause much of an issue (so-sayeth-RAM). I'm pretty stoked about this setup, as my stock clutch was slipping badon hard launches. I could have reused the flywheel, but it's easier to start fresh. Also, the engine will "feel" more responsive, as the Al flywheel frees up horsepower otherwise being robbed by the 30lb stock flywheel.

Well, I'll get pictures as soon as I can. I had to reallocate funds, so I can't work on the exterior for now. I may even have to put off some of the electronic gauges too. We'll see...
                          Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Good luck with it - sounds like a big job.

Comment

Just a quick update...10/22

I had to do a bunch of fabricating to adapt the stock AIR and EGR system to my current mods. Namely, the stock routing of the passenger side AIR tube is a mess. It will completely cover the valve covers, and with my set up, doesn't allow me to open the oil cap or access the new location of the oil dipstick. Plus, what's the point of adding "flash" if you can't see it?

What I did is adapt a brass coupler (plumbing department) to allow me to mount the stock AIR valve vertically, and then using the stock rubber hose, I cut off the 180 degree bend and tied it into the AIR crossover tube. It's now a straight shot in and looks far better than how GM designed it.

Yeah, I know...get rid of EGR and AIR. But in my state, we are subject to underhood inspections. I don't want to have to deal with failing emissions testing (visual inspection), even though I know the system can be programmed out of the ECM so they shouldn't have to look.

I'm still fitting the modified steering shaft to get around the #1 primary. I managed to modify the heat shield so it no longer is needed (used Thermo-tec self-stick heat shield matting to protect the cruise control cable and brake lines). I managed to move the whole steering column over, but I may now have to move it slightly back towards the passenger's side. I also had to lengthen the slot in the stock shaft coming out of the firewall, as the half-shaft now mounts higher up.

All in all, I'm still shooting to have her "flat-bed" ready by Friday afternoon so I can get her over to my buddies shop.

If all goes according to plan, I may have her up and running by Sunday.

I'm going to make sure everything works before I send out the computer for tuning. Don't want to do too many mods too fast, as diagnosing a problem is that much more difficult.
                              Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Working...
                              X