New Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project

I've been thinking about gas and how I hate $50 fillups. I like driving, but not paying for it. Maybe there's a way to have some cheap/fun transportation for regular short trips. So I got this screwball idea...

This.....

Plus This...

Equals This....

I'm putting it together now. 70cc 2 stroke engine. Incredible 3 hp...max. Quarter mile in about 60 sec's. Total cost...about 1/2 of a stainless catback system.

Yeah...I'm nuts.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Don't feel bad...I have had that thought more than once. Question is, will it be road legal? It would be considered a motorized vehicle now so will it need blinkers head/tail light etc.?
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Comment

Every state is different. In VA it's considered a moped.

The engine can't be ore than 50cc. It can't be driven more than 30mph, and it needs a tail light and headlight to be driven at night. Over 35mph and it's considered a motorcycle.

Now the engine I have is over 50cc, but doesn't have size stampings. I'm not expecting police to pull the head and measure stroke & bore.

Actually, in this state you don't even need a drivers license. Anyone over 16 can drive one.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Man I would like one but driving in Atlanta I do not think I would make it for 15 min's.
        Blazer

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer
          Man I would like one but driving in Atlanta I do not think I would make it for 15 min's.
          Blazer
          Yea get out on 61 on that thing. You'd look like a possum smear in the road.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

This is just my opinion Joe but riding something like that on the street no matter how much gas money it will save you isn't worth the risk you are taking. Your life is totally in the hands of all the automobile drivers on the road with you and that's a risk I for one would not be willing to take.
            2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-S
              This is just my opinion Joe but riding something like that on the street no matter how much gas money it will save you isn't worth the risk you are taking. Your life is totally in the hands of all the automobile drivers on the road with you and that's a risk I for one would not be willing to take.
              I put the smart car in that same catagory.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

At 30mph, he should be able to keep up with most street traffic. Depends on the commute and area.

Let us know how it comes out. Cool idea.
                SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I'd have to ride it quite some distance to actually save money, so it's more for fun and fresh air really. I also like the idea of "sticken' it to da man"! If nothing else, I'll learn more about engines and get some new skills. Most of my errands are so short anyway, it's almost ridiculous to take a car. Even the metro into D.C. is only 3 miles away.

My commute is only 2 1/2 miles one way and the majority of it is on a military base. Luckily we're blessed with bike paths and bike lanes where I am. I'd ride normal, but hills are a PITA and I end up all sweaty coming in.

I agree that safety needs to be a priority. I'm not riding it anywhere I wouldn't ride a bike. Flashing rear light, headlight, and rear view mirror are a must. I'll also have to get a high vis reflective vest. I'm holding off on that stuff till I can get it running.

I found a couple great support forums...lots of dedicated folks out there...
                  www.motoredbikes.com
                  www.motorbicycling.com
                  Joe K.
                  '11 BMW 328i
                  '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Brings me back to my youth days. Back in Switzerland you could ride a moped from 14 years on. It usually had a 49 cc 2 stroke engine. We would soup them up and a friend of mine had his running almost 60 mph.

We would extend the forks, make custom exhausts and intakes, use carburetors from larger bikes and so on. By law you were only allowed to run 20 mph. Eventually the cops caught me. I lived in a small village and I tried to outrun the cops in their car. There was a pedestrian crossing across a rail track where I could have squeezed through and get away. They caught on to it and ran me down before I could get there.

I had my license suspended for 3 months and the moped seized.

This is roughly what one looked like.
                    Attached Files
                    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

He he, I remember putting a moped though a few torture sessions. They don't jump all too well.

Comment

Allright! I had my first successful ride today! Now I just have to break it in!

10 minute ride and only partial throttle, but the engine seems to be running good. I was up to 15mph, but it'll definitely go much faster.

I'm 95% done. I need to hook up the engine kill switch and add some safety accessories.

Here's some pictures if y'all are interested!

http://picasaweb.google.com/joseph.k...JoeSMotorBike#

Joe K.
                        '11 BMW 328i
                        '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Great idea......

until it rains.

That's a great fair weather short commuter.

Comment

Nice work, Joe!

Did you find that you needed to get used to balance after being used to just a bicycle? Does the motor (and fuel) add that much more weight and contribute to balance issues... Or is it pretty much just like riding a slightly heavier bike?
                            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

You should put that on one of these.

Or

Comment

Working...
                              X