Questions about the C5 Z06

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the C5 Z06

My brother just purchased a '03 Z06 with 23K on the clock. Anyhow, is there anything he should know about the car? I am pretty sure those came with Mobil 1 synthetic from the factory so I told him about that. Anything else? He went from a decade of Toyota 4-Runners, to a Honda Civic, to this....hopefully, he wont kill himself!!!
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Just tell him to be careful.

If he works on the car himself then make sure he has the Lift pads to raise and lower the car. The basics about how much Fluid everything takes. Other than that Its the same as a LSx F-body. With the exception of the 50 extra HP and couple hundred pounds less weight. Also the fact that the Transmission is in the rear.

Very Very nice car. My all time dream car. Ill take a normal C5 (ZO6 or not) as long as its a C5! ha ha ha
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

There are a few gremlins that pop up. i saw a list of about 15 of them. I'll have to go find the list.

One thing to check is make sure the A/C drain tube is flowing. It comes out by the starter. If it gets plugged it will back water up and drip on the BCM. I took my BCM and put it in a zip lock freezer bag. It's not sealed on the end where the wires go in but if water drips on it it will at least run off rather than go inside and short the BCM.

There is a TSB on the steering wheel column lock. Go by a dealership and get them to run the VIN for recalls and that TSB. If it hasn't been done it will fail. He might want to go ahead and get it done.

I'll think on it some more and get back to you.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Oh the oil drain plug is in the front of the motor so you can't put the front on ramps to change the oil. The car has to be level or downhill. I made some 12 foot long ramps out of 2"X12"X12's and use them on my side driveway which is down hill. With the hill and the ramps the car is level.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
          There is a TSB on the steering wheel column lock. Go by a dealership and get them to run the VIN for recalls and that TSB. If it hasn't been done it will fail. He might want to go ahead and get it done.
          I remember this one when i worked at the dealer. The Steering wheel would lock up and there was nothing you could do but get it towed. I remember a couple people would have their car lock up while driving. Lucky for them accidents didnt occure.
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I will tell him about the recall. He is pretty lucky...he picked up the car from his boss who owns the Remax Reality Office where he works so he can ask any question any time. The guy sold it to him because the ZR1 is on order.
            '77 K5 rock-crawler project
            '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
            '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
            '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
              I will tell him about the recall. He is pretty lucky...he picked up the car from his boss who owns the Remax Reality Office where he works so he can ask any question any time. The guy sold it to him because the ZR1 is on order.
              Unfortunately the steering lock is a TSB not a recall. That is aggravating. Although I am lucky because GM had so many problems with it from 97-00 that in 01-04 automatic cars they left it out because it has the shifter lock. Since the 6 speeds don't have a shifter lock the had to put the column lock in the 01-04s.

Comment

FYI the C5s had the same high fan temps 226/235 as the f-body. I had mine reprogramed to 190/200 and put a 160 t-stat in it.

Comment

Here is the thread I was talking about for fixing gremlins on the C5. Save it somewhere.
                  http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1817090

Comment

One of the other things I have heard a lot of is crazy electrical problems. A LOT of them are caused by a bad grounds or corrosion on connectors. Here is a thread that talks about that. The grounds are kind of an interesting issue because it looks like they are a self tapping screw screwed into the frame and in a lot of places the frame is painted so you only get the screw thread to transmit the ground. It doesn't take much for them to not work. Sanding the paint off behind the ground and a star washer will help them dig in and make a good contact. When I get time I am going to go through all of mine before a problem happens. Oh and I use silicone dielectric on my connectors and spark plug wires. That will stop the corrosion.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=896875

Comment

That's about all I got.

Comment

Working...
                      X