mortgage crisis explained...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mortgage crisis explained...

OK for all of those who wonder why we are in the financial mess we are in read this link. Pay special attention to the section with the date of January 31st 1995. (The bill was passed in 1994 with a democratic congress, senate, and president.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_Reinvestment_Act

Now for all you people that read this
    http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...008-09-16.html
    Now you know that either Pelosi is either ignorant or lying. Either way she needs to not be in congress or any political office.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

I have a slightly more cynical explanation...

Small financial institutions and brokers figured out they could grant loans on $500+K homes to people making $30K a year telling them "see the payment is only $800 a month
    right now which is less than you're paying for rent."oh by the way your payment may go up in the future but don't worry about that because you will be building equity in your home which will offset any increase in payment sign here, here here and here, initial here here..... They collect their fees, hold the loan for a month (tops) then and then sell them to the big boys (Fanny and Freddie etc.) leaving them to deal with the $#it. F&F etc. didn't bother to check most of the loans or qualifications, they had an agreement with the brokers to buy their loans period. Saves F&F time and money, they get the interest for the next 30+ years and didn't have to spend the resources now. Bottom line is everybody knew it was a shaky house of cards but nobody thought they'd ever be the ones to get caught under it when it fell.

Just my $.02
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Originally posted by sneitzel
      I have a slightly more cynical explanation...

Small financial institutions and brokers figured out they could grant loans on $500+K homes to people making $30K a year telling them "see the payment is only $800 a month
      right now which is less than you're paying for rent."oh by the way your payment may go up in the future but don't worry about that because you will be building equity in your home which will offset any increase in payment sign here, here here and here, initial here here..... They collect their fees, hold the loan for a month (tops) then and then sell them to the big boys (Fanny and Freddie etc.) leaving them to deal with the $#it. F&F etc. didn't bother to check most of the loans or qualifications, they had an agreement with the brokers to buy their loans period. Saves F&F time and money, they get the interest for the next 30+ years and didn't have to spend the resources now. Bottom line is everybody knew it was a shaky house of cards but nobody thought they'd ever be the ones to get caught under it when it fell.

Just my $.02
      Yes but before the rules change that wouldn't have been allowed. The mortgage company could not make that loan. Basically the rules change got rid of the oversight. Funny how everybody is now saying there needs to be more oversight.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Yup, I'm with you on all that stuff.

I just think accepting "They (the govt) told us we could.." is letting them off too easy.
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I agree with you both. When my wife and I were shopping for a home a few months ago. I got pre qualified for a mortgage loan of up to $350,000. There was no way we could ever possibly afford that. I dumbed it down the the $140K that we paid for the house we ended up buying. We are living comfortably at that amount, but we would have been completely screwed even if we had gone a little higher. If things stay as they are, we really need to have realtors out there that will thoroughly inform their clients about how this game works before even stepping foot outside the office to look at houses. Too many just leave that up to the brokers they are contracted with. And of course the brokers are the ones who will stick a person in the financial doom that was discussed earlier. It really comes down to making sure that buyers are well educated before they get any preconcieved notions about what they can afford.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aSKSoiNbnQY0

http://www.city-journal.org/html/10_...on_dollar.html

Comment

Good stuff Jeff!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

http://www.investopedia.com/articles....asp?viewall=1

Credit goes to FARK.com for pointing out the article.

Also hotlinked on FARK the Stick Figure version, vey funny. (WARNING: NSFW Text/Language)
                http://docs.google.com/TeamPresent?d...uth=true&pli=1

EDIT:
                NSFW = Not Safe For Work
                My DD
                2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

http://www.investopedia.com/articles....asp?viewall=1

Credit goes to FARK.com for pointing out the article.
                  They should have rewound a little further. I wish I had some money to buy some property.

Also hotlinked on FARK the Stick Figure version, vey funny. (WARNING: NSFW Text/Language)
                  http://docs.google.com/TeamPresent?d...uth=true&pli=1

EDIT:
                  NSFW = Not Safe For Work
                  Pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
                    I wish I had some money to buy some property.
                    I bought my house originally as a business investment with a buddy of mine. When he got married I bought him out and refinanced. At the time I almost went with an ARM but the broker tried to pull a fast one on the rate and fees right at the end so I ended up with a conventional loan. I'm very glad about that now...
                    Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
                    Pretty funny.
                    and yet sadly accurate.
                    My DD
                    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Another link
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5tZc8oH--o
                      and another
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMnSp...eature=related

Comment

Dow 10,365.45 -777.68 -6.98% Ouch...
                        http://finance.yahoo.com/
                        Greg W. in West Michigan
                        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                        <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by FroSSty
                          Dow 10,365.45 -777.68 -6.98% Ouch...
                          http://finance.yahoo.com/
                          If anything, don't be surprised if it fully recovers this week. Best to ignore yo-yo like drama of the ups and downs and look at the longer term.

the money path since 2001:

2001 internet bubble --> $ put into real estate --> everyone that shouldn't, gets in on the real estate rush! --> smart $ starts to pull out when the real estate market maxes out and time-to-sell increases --> 2006 subprime ARM's start to kick in, cooling off real estate market and foreclosures start to increase--> 2nd half of 2007: market forcasters show future timeline of expected-to-happen foreclosure to peak in 2008, that will bring down stock market as well --> Now: as result of massive amounts of foreclosures, banks cannot withstand the fallout of so many foreclosures while smart $ goes to historically safe havens of bonds and gold until the bad signals pass.
                          Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                          Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                          pics and info

Comment

Also worthy of note, the stock market has a history of going in the toilet during an election year.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                              Also worthy of note, the stock market has a history of going in the toilet during an election year.
                              Exactly.

Plus that drop was mostly due in part to the bailout rejection. Wall Street likes to panic. Always have. Always will.
                              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Working...
                              X