Finally got my Del Sol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got my Del Sol

I bought a Honda Del Sol VTEC about a month ago and it needed to have a considerable amount of rust removed, plus some other body work. The guy I bought the car from really (pardon my language) screwed me over. Luckily, I have connections with a body shop who took car of everything. Since they were cutting me a huge break on the price, they took their time with it. I just picked it up yesterday.

So far, I love this thing! I filled it up yesterday, drove about 40 miles and the needle has barely budged from the full mark. It still needs shocks, struts, springs, an alignment, probably ball joints and rear tires and it still outhandles my Trans Am. I popped the top out today had a blast cruising around. It ripped through corners and turns like they were nothing where my Trans Am's tires would have at least chirped if I took them at the same speed. I can't imagine how well this car will handle when the suspension is taken care of. One entrance ramp I take on my way home from work is extremely tight and windy. My low traction light always came on in the Trans Am when I went through this ramp. The Del Sol went through it like it was nothing. The one thing that bothers me is how high it sits in the RPM range. At 60 MPH, it sits at around 3,200RPM. My Trans am would be at 1,500 or so.

As much as I love this car, it's taking away from my LT1 fund. I decided that my best bet is to get an LT1, set it up with a set of LE2 heads and cam, a matching intake, supporting mods and a solid clutch that can handle everything. Pair that with a K member and A arms from Spohn, pull the A/C and maybe the heat and other things that arent necessary while I have the engine bay open, then take it easy until I can afford a 12 bolt rear. Hopefully I can pull this off by next year.
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

i'd love to have a del sol right now.

sweet car man. But if it handles better than your TA something was wrong with it. My Z handles better than most cars I've been in, especially far better than ANY FWD car I've ever driven.

What exactly is wrong with the TA? I remember you said it seized up, but did you ever figure out exactly what it was?
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

The head gasket blew and by the time I caught it, too much antifreeze had already leaked into the motor.

I swear it outhandles my Trans Am though. The Trans Am could definitely have used new shocks, but I don't think that would put it on par with this car. I've taken some fast turns in my Trans Am and it handled everything I threw at it, but the Del Sol feels far more nimble. Once the alignment, tires and ball joints are done, I know how I'll test it. There's an exit ramp that I used to take at 45- 50 with the Trans Am and that was starting to push it. I'll see how my Honda handles it.
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

If a Del Sol with comepletely messed up suspension is handling better than your TA, then there is something wrong with your TA. My old Honda handled around the same or a tad better than my TA but I had Some hella stiff springs, Polly bushings and strut tower brace in the front and rear and Battery relocation and a Gut. My car was right around 2100lbs a I had a Cammed 1.5l SOHC Engine. Here are Some pictures.

My buddy has a '03 SVT Focus with KYB's and Tien Springs. That thing outhandles MY Trans Am like crazy. Now that thing is impressive in the bends. I would check the suspension on your TA if I were you.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
        X