I finally got my car working again!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally got my car working again!

Well, after not being able to get my car started a week or so ago, I was told that it was probably the wire that connects the ignition key cylinder to the theft deterrent (VATS) module. So, I finally got to taking it all apart the other day. It sucked because with work and playing softball and going to the gym, I only had an hour or so at a time to work on it till last night. Anyway, I got the air bags diabled, removed the air bag from the steering wheel. Then I rented a steering wheel puller from O'riley's, then pulled the steering wheel off. Then after reading up on how to remove the Air Bag clock spring on my ALLData.com subscription, removed it. Then saw the locking plate and was like.."WTH??" (I thought I'd be able to get to the cylinder after removing the clock spring.) So, I read up a little more and realized that I had the locking plate compressor in the steering wheel puller kit. So, off that came, after a long wrestling match with the retaining clip. (It's amazing how well I was able to bend that thing back to shape. ) I got the locking plate and the horn contact out. Then came the turn signal assembly. This was where I got bogged down because I had to remove all ten of the wires from the wiring harness under the dash and pull them up through the steering column to get that assembly out of my way. Then, FINALLY, I could get to the key cylinder. Sure enough, that tiny little wire sat there broken in two. The cylinder came out faily easily. Here is what that part of the process looked like.

This was before I was able to remove the turn signal assembly.
    [IMG]
    http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa240/Svnthrain30/IMG_20081016_0001_1.jpg[/IMG]

Putting everything back together went pretty quickly after i got the wire from the new cylinder routed back through the steering column, along with the wires from the turn signal. There were many times during the process when I wondered if I shouldn't have just put everything back together and had it towed to a dealership. But, I got 'er done. Feels pretty good considering the hardest job I had done on a car before that was changing the ignition control module on the car a few years ago. All told, it cost me about $200 to do this job. Not bad considering it would have cost me close to $500 to get it done at a dealership.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

lotta work!! glad its coming back...

looks like your peed on your floor mat though..you ok?

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

cool.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Acer Laptop. Nice. lol

Yeah I hope my Vat system never acts up again.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
          lotta work!! glad its coming back...

looks like your peed on your floor mat though..you ok?
          Uhmmm...that's actually a hole. :| I need new floor mats. That'll be my next project. LOL

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

[QUOTE=ConElite]Acer Laptop. Nice. lol

[QUOTE]

Yeah, that is my wife's computer. I use the desktop. That was a bargain computer that turned out to not be a bargain.

Comment

Good job on getting that done. What a PITA...
              NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
              (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

Originally posted by Coop '02Z
                Good job on getting that done. What a PITA...
                Thanks, Coop. It was a large PITA.

Comment

Working...
                X